5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what point is it not justifiable?

grizzly.t

Reaction score
Good day all. A quick prod for rational thought.
withought one of my long stories

if you have funding concerns , are buying a vehicle out of necessity and would dearly love a ram.
would you consider buying an older model with more miles and higher trim level to get the doo dads you’d really like. (In my example a 19 limited with 62k miles. So no warranty, though the dealer said they would certify it)

or or get a newer stripped down lower trim level with less miles, possibly some factory warranty remaining. , possibly saving 5 to 8k. (No sample here but there are many big horn pain 20 to21 units with 20k mi maybe. A gladiator might even fit in here but is probably priced more like the higher trim

of course a 3rd option is just a lesser expensive brand new 4x4 something that would have new warranty. For example an ascent or maybe outback wilderness or a Toyota something.

I used to turn my own wrench but after a fairly recent failed surgery I’m not too mobile. This is why I keep bringing up warranty.

curious if it sparks any common sense. I feel to close to reason. I love the new rams even though I’ve had fords for awhile. cant imagine not having a pickup, there is just something I don’t trust at the dealer with the limited but I do love the truck.

sprry if i’ve wasted your time and bandwidth. I just feel it silly to consider paying call it 50k on a used truck with 62k miles and no warranty but wondering if I’m just out of touch being darn near locked in the house lately. Been kicking myself for selling my 05 dually king ranch diesel after the surgery. Miss it terribly. Had under 40k on it and sold it just before it would have been worth a small fortune.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me this is really a personal decision based on one's own wants, needs, and resources. I've had both used and new vehicles through the course of my life. I understand the financial argument for buying used (let someone else take the depreciation hit) and have done so many times, usually because I needed to replace a vehicle right then. Consequently, I've had many vehicles that didn't have the things I would've liked on them. The end result is that the last few vehicles I bought new, simply because I aim to keep my vehicles for 10+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles. IN this case, the depreciation means little to me. It means more to know exactly what repairs were made to the vehicle and by whom. You don't always have that piece of mind in a used vehicle.
My 2022 truck is the only vehicle that I've ever ordered and it could quite possibly be my last truck, so I went new. Time will tell. Unfortunately, this is a decision only you can make my friend. Good luck.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I have to speak the truth here. Knowing what I know now I would NOT get a 19' used. First generation year, lots of known issues.

- Multiple leak points in the cab. Sunroof drains, 3rd brake light, shark fin antenna.
- Rear window is another leak point, prone to the frame cracking. (Mine goes in next week to have replaced)
- Broken exhaust bolts at the flanges in the exhaust system.
- eTorque and/or battery issues in trucks so equipped.
- Known exhaust manifold cracks and bolt issues.
- There have been, but not many, cases of cracked heads, blocks, and rear main seal leaks. Not many, but you can find a couple cases on this forum. Wouldn't be high on the list of concerns for me, but worth mentioning.
- UConnect screen/system failures.

Some of these would be covered under powertrain, if not an extended warranty. However, the leaks for example, are a battle to even get covered under the best factory extended warranty. Now if you go and get a truck that's still somehow under the 3/36k factory? That's a different story. Bring it in, have them fix everything under the sun or at least address it (so it's documented).

For me, a used 19' even with an extended warranty would be a risk I wouldn't be willing to take on. I do love my truck but we all should be honest with people and state the 19's had some kinks that needed to be, and still are being, ironed out.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to speak the truth here. Knowing what I know now I would NOT get a 19' used. First generation year, lots of known issues.

- Multiple leak points in the cab. Sunroof drains, 3rd brake light, shark fin antenna.
- Rear window is another leak point, prone to the frame cracking. (Mine goes in next week to have replaced)
- Broken exhaust bolts at the flanges in the exhaust system.
- eTorque and/or battery issues in trucks so equipped.
- Known exhaust manifold cracks and bolt issues.
- There have been, but not many, cases of cracked heads, blocks, and rear main seal leaks. Not many, but you can find a couple cases on this forum. Wouldn't be high on the list of concerns for me, but worth mentioning.
- UConnect screen/system failures.

Some of these would be covered under powertrain, if not an extended warranty. However, the leaks for example, are a battle to even get covered under the best factory extended warranty. Now if you go and get a truck that's still somehow under the 3/36k factory? That's a different story. Bring it in, have them fix everything under the sun or at least address it (so it's documented).

For me, a used 19' even with an extended warranty would be a risk I wouldn't be willing to take on. I do love my truck but we all should be honest with people and state the 19's had some kinks that needed to be, and still are being, ironed out.
Agreed. Although, to be fair, some issues you identified (leak points, etorque, and uconnect) were not totally fixed by Ram engineers after the 2019 model year and have popped up in subsequent years.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Agreed. Although, to be fair, some issues you identified (leak points, etorque, and uconnect) were not totally fixed by Ram engineers after the 2019 model year and have popped up in subsequent years.

I didn't want to go further with it, because I have a 2019 but yes, it seems you are correct. Trying not to sound like I'm dumping on the trucks but I'd hate to see someone get into something in an already financially tight situation only to end up spending a lot more.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
To me this is really a personal decision based on one's own wants, needs, and resources. Time will tell. Unfortunately, this is a decision only you can make my friend. Good luck.
Thank you. Indeed always a personal decision. I think I was more interested in the aspect of whether several years old with miles and no warranty is worthy of consideration. In the eyes of another.

when making a decision I like having the viewpoint and thoughts of others. It is by consuming and filtering as many viewpoints as possible i am able to view and value other ideas.

grizzly.t

Reaction score
I have to speak the truth here. Knowing what I know now I would NOT get a 19' used. First generation year, lots of known

Thank you!1

GMetal

Reaction score
I would want more warranty with more electrical doo dads. Id likely buy a stripped down version used over a top of the line. Kinda like buying a used Land Rover or BMW. These new trucks have issues. Getting warranty service is usually a week or two out. They dont have loner cars so if its your only vehicle you will need to get a rental car. Add the lack of parts availability you may be in a rental for a while. There is a reason resale on high end premium cars is terrible after the warranty expires.

monza2t

Reaction score
Normally I'm a buy used guy because in the past I could get vehicles at steep discounts from new with low miles (example is wife's Volvo that was $57k new that we got for $35k and it only had 15k miles on it, someone else took a $22k hit in depreciation) but given that trucks are usually more expensive and add in the crazy market the last couple years when I looked at used on these to me it just wasn't worth buying used, the savings wasn't that much for the risk of dealing with issues. So I ordered mine.

Side note, was really nice to get exactly what I wanted instead of compromising on something like exterior color or equipment.

GMetal

Reaction score
Normally I'm a buy used guy because in the past I could get vehicles at steep discounts from new with low miles (example is wife's Volvo that was $57k new that we got for $35k and it only had 15k miles on it, someone else took a $22k hit in depreciation) but given that trucks are usually more expensive and add in the crazy market the last couple years when I looked at used on these to me it just wasn't worth buying used, the savings wasn't that much for the risk of dealing with issues. So I ordered mine.

Side note, was really nice to get exactly what I wanted instead of compromising on something like exterior color or equipment.
Thats the reason I bought my truck new. Its been 22 years since I bought a new vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There really hasn't been any depreciation the last few years with COVID and inventory shortages. The used market really isn't that much lower than buying new. Some used vehicles have even sold for more than new.

Personally, I'd check for new and compare prices. If it's only a few thousand dollars difference, I'd go new. You can probably find better deals buying used private party.

As far as being justifiable, that's a personal decision that will be different for everyone. What one person will justify, the next person could consider insane

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you can, keep waiting. You’ll see used prices continue to come down, and while new msrps and rates keep going up, there will be more incentives and subvented rates to offset it.

CatServant

Reaction score
I’ve always had a concern about inheriting previous owners’ problems. However, I refuse to buy way more than I need, so I almost always end up ordering from the factory. That way, I get what I want and only what I want at the minimum new vehicle price.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Thats the reason I bought my truck new. Its been 22 years since I bought a new vehicle.

I have a buddy that at the height of the used car shortage bought a 2019 used Laramie with V6 and 41k on the odo for $47k. I almost fell out of my chair.

Same reason I bought my truck. The buyout on my Rebel was $31k off lease. The amount I would have paid up to get into a new lease wasn't worth it.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I read is that the numbers were terrible in October and ram has the most inventory out of the big 3.
It might be worth it to wait end of year on new. There might be an opportunity for a better deal on new. And it is not that far out if you could wait.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good day all. A quick prod for rational thought.
withought one of my long stories

if you have funding concerns , are buying a vehicle out of necessity and would dearly love a ram.
would you consider buying an older model with more miles and higher trim level to get the doo dads you’d really like. (In my example a 19 limited with 62k miles. So no warranty, though the dealer said they would certify it)

or or get a newer stripped down lower trim level with less miles, possibly some factory warranty remaining. , possibly saving 5 to 8k. (No sample here but there are many big horn pain 20 to21 units with 20k mi maybe. A gladiator might even fit in here but is probably priced more like the higher trim

of course a 3rd option is just a lesser expensive brand new 4x4 something that would have new warranty. For example an ascent or maybe outback wilderness or a Toyota something.

I used to turn my own wrench but after a fairly recent failed surgery I’m not too mobile. This is why I keep bringing up warranty.

curious if it sparks any common sense. I feel to close to reason. I love the new rams even though I’ve had fords for awhile. cant imagine not having a pickup, there is just something I don’t trust at the dealer with the limited but I do love the truck.

sprry if i’ve wasted your time and bandwidth. I just feel it silly to consider paying call it 50k on a used truck with 62k miles and no warranty but wondering if I’m just out of touch being darn near locked in the house lately. Been kicking myself for selling my 05 dually king ranch diesel after the surgery. Miss it terribly. Had under 40k on it and sold it just before it would have been worth a small fortune.
I’d say that you should buy something you really want - new or used. If you don’t love it now, you never will. You still need to do your homework, of course. But it’s unlikely (for example) that someone put 62K on a lemon. Possible, but unlikely. I’ve owned plenty of used vehicles…most of which have been at least as reliable as the new vehicles I’ve purchased.

monza2t

Reaction score

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I'd buy new just because very few people take care of their vehicles and drive the living sh** out of them. If you buy used you've no idea what your getting. I think Ram is offering 0% financing on new 2022 Big Horns right now, but that might just be in the southeast.

mkling

Reaction score
I’ve been in somewhat of a similar dilemma recently. Kind of depends how important all the doodads are to you. I feel the low mile used trucks are just too much money and you’re better off going new if you can so you can have warranty and avoid buying someone else’s problem truck.
For me what’s important is I have a 6’4” bed, v8, 4 wheel drive. I ended up ordering a tradesman with a few options just how I want it for less than I could find a low mile used bighorn. I don’t think I’ll feel like I’m missing anything but I may put katzkin leather in it and probably a lift and bigger tires. Just a tradesman to some but I’m super excited to get it. I’m coming from a 2500 bighorn that I bought new in 2006. Hate to part with it but it’s rusting away and beginning to be too much of a pain to fix. Hoping the new one I can keep rust away better.
If I were you, I’d price out a new bighorn and with the right incentives, you could get it for not much more than the used limited would cost. Peace of mind having a good warranty and a knowing the trucks history is worth it to me. Plus getting brand new is just fun. You could have leather installed for about $1500 if wanted.
To each their own though. I need a truck for truck things and I feel like a lot of the higher trims have extras that are just not needed and drive up the price. That said they are really nice and if I had the extra cash, I’d get a higher model. I could probably swing a rebel but I’d rather use that money towards my next classic car or something.
If financing then you usually get a better rate on new vs used also. You could look into ordering one from mark dodge or another dealer that does 4% or so below invoice. For me it was way cheaper to order than try and deal locally unfortunately.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have you considered leasing a vehicle?
You say you don't want to turn a wrench so new or used the warranty will always end unless you purchase additional warranties. With a lease you just roll it in every few years and get a new one (and always pay a car payment).

Honestly new or used is always a gamble. I purchase new now because I have the money to do so and I don't want to risk getting someones used crap. I turn a wrench but I like to know "it was working when I first touched it" vs "I have no idea how this was before".

Another plus of buying used is you don't care when you get your first scratch or ding from a shopping cart or something. Ive given up on my 2022 Limited's front bumper. The paint job from Ram is a joke and I get paint chips every single day I drive it. I'm going to need to take it off and get it painted properly at a body shop on my own dime just for driving it for 6 months and it doesn't matter that I bought it new, the dealership will never admit that Ram did a shotty paint job at the factory and it would be a pipe dream for them to "warranty" it.

Users who are viewing this thread