5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there no bed covers made for a 2022 1500 Limited with ramboxes and mft?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yessssss I’m wrong lol ignore that part lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

petersandler

Reaction score

Furtrader

Reaction score
Here are more pictures of my truck. The last picture is top down between the rail and bed of the truck, there is some kind of rectangle seal across the whole thing except the last 6 inches at the tailgate end (where the Ramboxes end) where it's just open.
2022 1500 Limted 5'7 bed 4x4 Night edition, BUG, MFT, Ramboxes
Here is a link to the website with my exact build.

Does anyone else have a truck that looks exactly like mine?

View attachment 128907
View attachment 128916
View attachment 128908 View attachment 128909 View attachment 128910 View attachment 128911 View attachment 128912 View attachment 128913 View attachment 128914 View attachment 128915
That is exactly what my 2016 looked like.
I just got a 2022 with the silver rails.
The 2016 I had the ram trifold . . . 2 of them as the cover was tearing over the frame. Luckily found before the warranty ran out.
The 2022 has a Bakflip MX4.

RichB413

Reaction score
Yeah I think it's the problem with the cover also, problem is at least when I ordered you are REQUIRED to accept the soft cover on a limited, it's not an option so in turn you are forced to have the "wrong" rails. Looking at the website it appears the soft cover comes with the night edition and once you add night edition you can't get rid of the cover.

When I add the night edition on a Big horn the tri-fold is an option not required. In fact I don't see any model that has the soft tri-fold forced except for Limited if you add the night edition (which you pretty much need to get unless you don't want majority of the features like the sports hood, tow hooks, power mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, and 22 inch rims.

So basically screw me for buying the highest trim level, to be forced to use the lowest quality and cheapest bed cover, makes complete sense.
I don't think MD will do anything, it's just a crappy situation at this point that I don't think anyone could foresee.
I may be very late to the party, but I bought silver rails for my 2020 Laramie with a soft tri fold tonneau cover, removed the black rails that held the soft cover, installed the silver rails and then installed the BakFlip MX4 to the silver rails. Rails cost about $122 each in September 2020.

Reaction score

Retrax Pro XR Tonneau cover 2019 - 2023 5th Gen Ram w/ Rambox & Multifunction Tailgate (5'7" bed)

The top of this tonneau nor the T slot rail system on this tonneau should ever be loaded with any weight. Design and engineering failure.

the entire cover depends on 6 tiny screws through thi. sheet metal to hold up the weight of the entire system.

if installed as directed, it leaves severe gaps in weather stripping, and the entire unit will eventually shift downward and place the load in undersireable areas... either the thin sheet metal that rests on the bulkhead at the front of the bed, or on your cargo management system tie down points.

"functional" installation that allows for use of the rails will require permenant removal of your cargo tie downs, and grinding off the end of the rails where they rest on the bulkhead so that the provided black retrax rails actually rest on the aluminum blocks attached to the silver mopar rails. This causes the entire unit to sit lower than designed and instructed, and creates for very poor water proofing.

retrax customer service has not been able to provide me with a solution. it is simply a design flaw and oversight for the XR line with Ramboxes...

If anyone has a solution to make this thing usable please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Retrax Pro XR Tonneau cover 2019 - 2023 5th Gen Ram w/ Rambox & Multifunction Tailgate (5'7" bed)

The top of this tonneau nor the T slot rail system on this tonneau should ever be loaded with any weight. Design and engineering failure.

the entire cover depends on 6 tiny screws through thi. sheet metal to hold up the weight of the entire system.

if installed as directed, it leaves severe gaps in weather stripping, and the entire unit will eventually shift downward and place the load in undersireable areas... either the thin sheet metal that rests on the bulkhead at the front of the bed, or on your cargo management system tie down points.

"functional" installation that allows for use of the rails will require permenant removal of your cargo tie downs, and grinding off the end of the rails where they rest on the bulkhead so that the provided black retrax rails actually rest on the aluminum blocks attached to the silver mopar rails. This causes the entire unit to sit lower than designed and instructed, and creates for very poor water proofing.

retrax customer service has not been able to provide me with a solution. it is simply a design flaw and oversight for the XR line with Ramboxes...

If anyone has a solution to make this thing usable please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Saw the video but no sound (at work). I have the same cover and to be honest it's not great, but I don't think I had the same problems you are having (it took me hours and 3 days to "get it right"). If you want we can private message to not clutter this thread and I can try and help you. I used weather stripping behind the silver rail, and some black silocone and a little oddball weather stripping by the tailgate (optional). No problems with weight distribution at all. I wouldn't stand on it but I probably could.

Users who are viewing this thread