5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there no bed covers made for a 2022 1500 Limited with ramboxes and mft?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Went to install a Gatorax retractable bed cover today and it's not possible to mount it on my truck. The instructions for a 2019 ram with ramboxes doesn't match my truck and upon looking myself I don't hlknow how ANY Cover can fit except the soft one it came with.

Anyone have an idea why no one makes covers for these trucks? I don't understand wtf the problem is. I'll be calling Retrax on Monday but all I except to get is oh sorry that doesn't fit we don't make one for your truck.

This is my vin: 1C6SRFHT5NN264168
This is the build sheet for my truck from the factory

Any advice or an idea would be great. I sometimes carry equipment worth over $300k in the back of my truck. I never would of bought this truck if I know i could only ever use a soft cover that it comes with?

P_20220507_141708.jpg P_20220507_141640.jpg P_20220507_141732.jpg P_20220507_141805.jpg P_20220507_141816.jpg P_20220507_142120.jpg P_20220507_142108.jpg P_20220507_142130.jpg

Solracer

Reaction score
BaKflip makes one and thats what I plan on replacing my oem one with.

Killer428

Reaction score
BaKflip makes one and thats what I plan on replacing my oem one with.

That’s what I installed on my 2021 Ram Limited ram box and MFT. Easy install, I love it.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Went to install a Gatorax retractable bed cover today and it's not possible to mount it on my truck. The instructions for a 2019 ram with ramboxes doesn't match my truck and upon looking myself I don't hlknow how ANY Cover can fit except the soft one it came with.

Anyone have an idea why no one makes covers for these trucks? I don't understand wtf the problem is. I'll be calling Retrax on Monday but all I except to get is oh sorry that doesn't fit we don't make one for your truck.

This is my vin: 1C6SRFHT5NN264168
This is the build sheet for my truck from the factory

Any advice or an idea would be great. I sometimes carry equipment worth over $300k in the back of my truck. I never would of bought this truck if I know i could only ever use a soft cover that it comes with?
Other than the Rambox, our trucks are very similar. Most covers don't work with the MFT because of the brackets by the bed. The solution is to switch the brackets to the Right-on Brackets. Here's the link to their site to order them.

The brackets will solve the MFT issue, then I think you'll be able to use any covers that work with Ramboxes.

I have a different question - it looks like you got the bed utility group with your truck, as I did. I didn't get the cargo divider as part of mine. Did yours come included or did you order it separately? I know Ramtrucks.com says that it is not incuded in all builds. I haven't asked my dealer about it yet but plan to shortly.

MotorCityBear

Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 Limited with Ram boxes and the MFT. I installed an Extang Exceed bed cover and it fits great. Reasonably easy install by myself and I really like this cover.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 1500 Limited with Ram boxes and the MFT. I installed an Extang Exceed bed cover and it fits great. Reasonably easy install by myself and I really like this cover.
That's with the right-on brackets, correct? I think the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 is the one that will work with the MFT and the factory brackets

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Other than the Rambox, our trucks are very similar. Most covers don't work with the MFT because of the brackets by the bed. The solution is to switch the brackets to the Right-on Brackets. Here's the link to their site to order them.

The brackets will solve the MFT issue, then I think you'll be able to use any covers that work with Ramboxes.

I have a different question - it looks like you got the bed utility group with your truck, as I did. I didn't get the cargo divider as part of mine. Did yours come included or did you order it separately? I know Ramtrucks.com says that it is not incuded in all builds. I haven't asked my dealer about it yet but plan to shortly.
There are no brackets on my truck.
The bug includes the bed divider.

We have different trucks. The bed length on yours is larger which also means you can't get ramboxes. Mine is a 2022 Limited 5'7 bed with ramboxes and mft and the packages are different for different trims and changing the bed I believe completely changes the back end I believe.
. Good example is that bracket will not fit on my truck, and it doesn't even use a bracket.
The problem is there's no way to mount anything on my truck as is, see pictures above in first post.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s what I installed on my 2021 Ram Limited ram box and MFT. Easy install, I love it.
How did you install it to the rails? Can you take a picture?
I looked at the instructions and nothing in the instructions manual matches my 2022 ram limited with ramboxes and mft

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what I see on my build sheet
Bed Utility Group
Truck Bed Cargo Divider
Mopar 4 Adjust. Cargo Tie Down Hooks
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
Tailgate Ajar Warning Lamp
Multi-Function Tailgate
RamBox Cargo Management System

I don't see it listing anything else pertaining to the bed of m
The truck. Doesn't list spray in bed liner, any kind of rails, or even the bed step.
The Truck Bed Cargo Divider Mopar 4 Adjust. Cargo Tie Down Hooks are both parts of the bug but are listed separately.
The tri-fold cover comes standard and I was not able to remove it.

The mft comes with the bed step and was installed, but not listed on the build sheet. I don't understand what does and doesn't show up.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have both MFT and Rambox and would like to put a roll up bedcover on. i did see one the had a great price about $800. It also sat flat or at the same height as the bed and looked great, also had a handle and cover release on of the cover so you didnt have to open the tailgate to retract the cover. has anyone else seen this? Father day is coming and want to order this.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have both MFT and Rambox and would like to put a roll up bedcover on. i did see one the had a great price about $800. It also sat flat or at the same height as the bed and looked great, also had a handle and cover release on of the cover so you didnt have to open the tailgate to retract the cover. has anyone else seen this? Father day is coming and want to order this.
Is it also a limited? This thread is about 1500 limited with mft and ramboxes. I see people who have the same truck as mine but is a big horn and has a different back end including mounting hardware even with ramboxes and mft.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it also a limited? This thread is about 1500 limited with mft and ramboxes. I see people who have the same truck as mine but is a big horn and has a different back end including mounting hardware even with ramboxes and mft.
Well it a 22 limited longhorn, has the same bed. Maybe i am wrong.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you're hung up on the Limited part and not the Bed Utility Group part. A Bighorn, Rebel, Laramie with ram boxes, BUG, and MFT will have the same setup. Your rails are definitely not what's pictured, and unfortunately I don't have a similar truck to compare. Maybe @Killer428 or someone with the same setup can take a picture of the end of their rails like you have.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think you're hung up on the Limited part and not the Bed Utility Group part. A Bighorn, Rebel, Laramie with ram boxes, BUG, and MFT will have the same setup. Your rails are definitely not what's pictured, and unfortunately I don't have a similar truck to compare. Maybe @Killer428 or someone with the same setup can take a picture of the end of their rails like you have.
But that doesn't seem true.
A member just got a new 2022 big horn with ramboxes and bug and his came with completely different rails then me.
The Beast arrived today...

Should I be hug up on the mft part? Not sure what that matters as I don't have the weird brackets other people claim to have that have mft.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get a retractable or even trifold at this point cover on my truck that allows me to secure expensive equipment without allowing someone with a knife to get right into my bed. I'm looking at my gatortrax cover that I can't install despite it saying it fits 20019+ ram 1500 5'7 bed with ramboxes With MFT

It seems like my truck from the factory doesn't allow me to use any after market bed cover.
I will take more pictures of my truck/bed as the ones in the fitst post are kind of close up.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But that doesn't seem true.
A member just got a new 2022 big horn with ramboxes and bug and his came with completely different rails then me.
The Beast arrived today...

Should I be hug up on the mft part? Not sure what that matters as I don't have the weird brackets other people claim to have that have mft.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get a retractable or even trifold at this point cover on my truck that allows me to secure expensive equipment without allowing someone with a knife to get right into my bed. I'm looking at my gatortrax cover that I can't install despite it saying it fits 20019+ ram 1500 5'7 bed with ramboxes With MFT

It seems like my truck from the factory doesn't allow me to use any after market bed cover.
I will take more pictures of my truck/bed as the ones in the fitst post are kind of close up.
I think it's your bed rails that seem to be the issue. You might have the wrong ones installed from the factory, which is not out of the question. The brackets should be on the cab side of the bed, and they're there to prevent the bed from warping.

Pictures from another member with RAM boxes, MFT, and BUG rails would provide a lot of clarity.

EDIT: Just read through your posts on that other thread. Yeah maybe the rails you have are specific to the factory soft cover. Talking to MD should clear up what the issue is, and hopefully they can get you the correct rails.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think it's your bed rails that seem to be the issue. You might have the wrong ones installed from the factory, which is not out of the question. The brackets should be on the cab side of the bed, and they're there to prevent the bed from warping.

Pictures from another member with RAM boxes, MFT, and BUG rails would provide a lot of clarity.

EDIT: Just read through your posts on that other thread. Yeah maybe the rails you have are specific to the factory soft cover. Talking to MD should clear up what the issue is, and hopefully they can get you the correct rails.
Yeah I think it's the problem with the cover also, problem is at least when I ordered you are REQUIRED to accept the soft cover on a limited, it's not an option so in turn you are forced to have the "wrong" rails. Looking at the website it appears the soft cover comes with the night edition and once you add night edition you can't get rid of the cover.

When I add the night edition on a Big horn the tri-fold is an option not required. In fact I don't see any model that has the soft tri-fold forced except for Limited if you add the night edition (which you pretty much need to get unless you don't want majority of the features like the sports hood, tow hooks, power mirrors, auto dimming mirrors, and 22 inch rims.

So basically screw me for buying the highest trim level, to be forced to use the lowest quality and cheapest bed cover, makes complete sense.
I don't think MD will do anything, it's just a crappy situation at this point that I don't think anyone could foresee.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here are more pictures of my truck. The last picture is top down between the rail and bed of the truck, there is some kind of rectangle seal across the whole thing except the last 6 inches at the tailgate end (where the Ramboxes end) where it's just open.
2022 1500 Limted 5'7 bed 4x4 Night edition, BUG, MFT, Ramboxes
Here is a link to the website with my exact build.

Does anyone else have a truck that looks exactly like mine?

2022-05-08 12.08.45.jpg
2022-05-08 12.12.04.jpg
2022-05-08 12.09.04.jpg 2022-05-08 12.09.14.jpg 2022-05-08 12.09.36.jpg 2022-05-08 12.09.41.jpg 2022-05-08 12.10.37.jpg 2022-05-08 12.10.58.jpg 2022-05-08 12.11.22.jpg 2022-05-08 12.11.49.jpg

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
The issue here is you have Black Rails, 99.9% of tonneau covers only will work with Silver Rails. Unfortunately Gator just calls them "Standard Rails" in their description as the majority of Ram Box trucks do have the Silver Rails instead of the black one.

This is what the Silver Rails look like:
1652029593595.png

Users who are viewing this thread