5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Ram Mechanics good resource for explaining options?

diamondmi

Reaction score
I'm ordering my truck tomorrow and there are some questions I have about some of the options before buying. It seems most salespeople are clueless when it comes to knowing what's best or even explaining something well enough to make an informed decision. Has anyone ever gone to some of the mechanics at the dealership and asked for feedback?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm ordering my truck tomorrow and there are some questions I have about some of the options before buying. It seems most salespeople are clueless when it comes to knowing what's best or even explaining something well enough to make an informed decision. Has anyone ever gone to some of the mechanics at the dealership and asked for feedback?
This is probably the best place to ask, to be honest. There’s a ton of collective knowledge here, and most members are happy to help.

diamondmi

Reaction score
I will be getting the 2019 Laramie Longhorn with almost every option including 4-corner air, 3.92 rear axle, level 1 equipment group, advanced safety group, Rambox, trailer brake control, panoramic sunroof, and 5.7L eTorque. One that I debated over in my mind for a while was the off-road package. I'm now figuring that for the maybe once or twice that I may benefit from it over the lifetime of the truck, it's not worth it. I'm afraid the tires may be noisier and not last as long and be a somewhat rougher ride and possibly less gas mileage especially with the added weight of the skid plates and HD shocks would be a rough ride. Is that thinking of mine off base or not?

I will be getting the 3.92 rear because I may be towing a boat once in a while. However, now I'm on the fence about anti-spin diff or electronic locking rear axle. I've read some of the benefits of both here. I will not be going off road. I live in NJ so want something that is good in snow and rain. I don't want something that I have to engage manually all the time. The anti-spin diff seems to be what I need. However, one of the things I wasn't sure of, if I get the electronic-locking rear axle, does that mean there would be no anti-spin at all unless I engage the e-lock? Wouldn't just 4WD auto be enough for what I need?

And this is more curiosity than anything. My neighbor needed to get a rental for the week while his truck was being serviced. They provided him with a 2019 Rebel 5.7L. I took that thing for a ride and it had some serious giddy-up, much more than the Ram 1500 Laramie or Limited. Any idea why the Rebel has so much more spunk and what seems to be way more power?

Mark

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Do be surprised if you can't order it. Someone recently posted that their order was cancelled and will have to wait and order a 2020

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will be getting the 2019 Laramie Longhorn with almost every option including 4-corner air, 3.92 rear axle, level 1 equipment group, advanced safety group, Rambox, trailer brake control, panoramic sunroof, and 5.7L eTorque. One that I debated over in my mind for a while was the off-road package. I'm now figuring that for the maybe once or twice that I may benefit from it over the lifetime of the truck, it's not worth it. I'm afraid the tires may be noisier and not last as long and be a somewhat rougher ride and possibly less gas mileage especially with the added weight of the skid plates and HD shocks would be a rough ride. Is that thinking of mine off base or not?

I will be getting the 3.92 rear because I may be towing a boat once in a while. However, now I'm on the fence about anti-spin diff or electronic locking rear axle. I've read some of the benefits of both here. I will not be going off road. I live in NJ so want something that is good in snow and rain. I don't want something that I have to engage manually all the time. The anti-spin diff seems to be what I need. However, one of the things I wasn't sure of, if I get the electronic-locking rear axle, does that mean there would be no anti-spin at all unless I engage the e-lock? Wouldn't just 4WD auto be enough for what I need?

And this is more curiosity than anything. My neighbor needed to get a rental for the week while his truck was being serviced. They provided him with a 2019 Rebel 5.7L. I took that thing for a ride and it had some serious giddy-up, much more than the Ram 1500 Laramie or Limited. Any idea why the Rebel has so much more spunk and what seems to be way more power?

Mark
I have a loaded Longhorn. In fact, I believe I still have the lowest payload sticker on this forum (to my own detriment).

I chose the Off-Road Group for the protection (just in case), 1” air suspension lift, and ELocker. I also like that combining the air and ORG gives me the best of both...a compliant ride that still feels “heavy” and planted - as I expect from a truck. I even like the sticker...lol. The tires aren’t the least bit noisy. But I’m sure I’m paying a mileage penalty for the weight.

I chose the 3.92 simply because the 3.21 felt like a dog off the line, especially compared to competitors. This was part of my motivation for selecting eTorque as well...although I’m a tech junkie and wanted to support this innovation regardless.

You can’t have both anti-spin and ELocker; it’s one or the other (or open diff). I chose ELocker, although I’ll rarely use it. Traction control and Auto 4WD will take care of you in 99% of situations.

It’s possible you felt that Rebel had more go due to having fewer options, a 3.92 and/or eTorque...or it was just a good one.

Good luck with your purchase!

diamondmi

Reaction score
Thank you, SpeedyV. Do the HD shocks give it a rougher ride than regular? Also, with the 1-inch lift, would you still get the normal driving height that the air suspension gives you by lowering the truck to a good height for added aero?

Mark

JeepTech

Reaction score

Mark
Ok, to answer your first 2 questions. With what you explain it seems you will benefit more from skipping the Offroad group with electronic locker and get just the Anti spin diff. The elocker only works when button is pushed and disengages at normal road speeds as it is designed to lock the 2 rear wheels when offroad/mud/stuck. The anti spin diff will be much more useful for street driving as it is always active and will help in snow. You can always add tow hooks and skid plates down the road.

Rebels come with 3.92 gears so if you have only driven a truck with 3.21 gears it will feel like it has alot more get up and go.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you, SpeedyV. Do the HD shocks give it a rougher ride than regular? Also, with the 1-inch lift, would you still get the normal driving height that the air suspension gives you by lowering the truck to a good height for added aero?

Mark

The HD shocks do give a slightly stiffer ride. I like it and think I've read where @SpeedyV liked it as a more "planted" feel. It's also partly due to the raised ride height. Higher = more air in suspension = stiffer ride. It is not uncomfortable by any means and the first time I went over some raised railroad tracks at 45 I was blown away at how smooth it was.

The ORG gives you a 1" lift over the non-ORG and that equates to every intermediate air suspension setting. You'll also only have 4, like the Rebel, and you can use that portion of the owner's manual. That means that Aero and Normal are both 1" higher than and non-ORG truck. Entry/Exit and OR are already at the min/max of the air travel.

I was concerned at first that I'd be too tall for some garages but that hasn't been the case. You can drive in E/E mode as long as you don't exceed 15MPH. I love the ORG but do wish I could get the Aero mode lowered 1". As I understand it, it's just a computer setting and one member here has had luck with the dealer reprogramming his.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience, no .. (not to upset any Tech's in here).
I get tired of the bragging that they are ASE Certified, etc.etc.etc. but I have to explain an item after looking it up on RamTruck site. My local salesman knew what was going on and what each and every item I asked about (and those I had zero clue about) were. He even gave me options for this or that, etc.

I say it really depends on the dealer and who the people are. Some are great, some not-so-much. Ask more than one person.

Or, as @SpeedyV and @JeepTech said, ask here.

My opinion, if you are going to tow a boat here or there, you want at least the limited slip (or opt for the electo lock and trailer package -- this way you can control braking and when the rear differential won't slip while trying to pull from the water on the wet boat ramp)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Mark
@Edwards was spot-on in his responses.

diamondmi

Reaction score
Thanks much everyone! I'm heading there now. I think I'll most likely make a gut check right before ordering and go with what my gut says. Looks like lots of pros but has a lot to do with subjectivity (as is expected). Only thing I'm concerned about is when I took a test drive the other day, coming off a stop sign making a right onto a slight hill, the rear right tire spun and would not get traction until I slowed down. Would anti-slip help with that? Saw so many Youtube vids showing that anti-slip doesn't always help. And would 4WD auto also help with that? Hope I'm not asking too much. This is a big purchase and want to get it just right.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks much everyone! I'm heading there now. I think I'll most likely make a gut check right before ordering and go with what my gut says. Looks like lots of pros but has a lot to do with subjectivity (as is expected). Only thing I'm concerned about is when I took a test drive the other day, coming off a stop sign making a right onto a slight hill, the rear right tire spun and would not get traction until I slowed down. Would anti-slip help with that? Saw so many Youtube vids showing that anti-slip doesn't always help. And would 4WD auto also help with that? Hope I'm not asking too much. This is a big purchase and want to get it just right.

Yes, anti-slip is supposed to help with that scenario mechanically. Traction control should also apply the brake to the spinning wheel to even them out as well. Was traction control off? Mine only chirp very briefly when it's wet and I'm turning. You have to turn traction control off if you're going to burn out in the parking lot like the kids do.

Users who are viewing this thread