5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple CarPlay Audio Distortion

KMach

Reaction score
As the title states. Anyone else experiencing this? 8.4 non nav. I normally don’t stream audio from my phone as I usually use Sirius. However, I’ve noticed after 10-12 minutes of driving the music will begin to distort, crackle or clip, while playing at any volume. It’s completely awful. I’ve checked radio updates and there is none. I’ve swapped out cords and used all the ports and using an apple cord. Everything is fine on bluetooth. I haven’t updated my iOS to 15 yet due to some issues they are having. I would if I knew this would be the fix.

I should note everything was fine on iOS 13 on this same phone when I first got the truck last year.

It isn’t just related to Apple Music, it will do it on all apps. Pandora, etc.

KMach

Reaction score
Found a couple old STAR publications for iOS 14.5 causing issues. I’m on 14.6, guess maybe I should try the iOS update. Other publications say debris or cable issues which are not my issue.

Gary1243

Reaction score
I have the same setup. I use my iPhone for navigation, music, etc and have had no issues for over a year. The entire system seems to operate seamlessly. I do notice however that my iPhone will occasionally have some of the problems you refer to but that is from the recordings on the iPhone as I get that from headphones and through the speakers from time to time.

KMach

Reaction score
I have the same setup. I use my iPhone for navigation, music, etc and have had no issues for over a year. The entire system seems to operate seamlessly. I do notice however that my iPhone will occasionally have some of the problems you refer to but that is from the recordings on the iPhone as I get that from headphones and through the speakers from time to time.
Gary, which iOS is your device on? That is helpful. The music I’m playing has no defects other than while in CarPlay mode.

Gary1243

Reaction score
iPhone 8. IOS 15.4.1. I buy my wife a new iPhone every couple years then she gives me her old one.

KMach

Reaction score
I’m still running the iPhone 5SE. I usually try to keep my phones going as long as my trucks… 20 years or so! Lol. I’ll try iOS 15 tonight and hopefully it will fix the current issues and not add to them.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am on the latest iOS version on an iPhone 13 pro max, no issues on the last few versions of iOS either. Using apple or Amazon cords, no issues.

Gary1243

Reaction score
I write, record and play a lot of my own music. I find that some recordings over time deteriorate on the hard drives and have to be deleted and reinstalled on my iPhone. These are particularly noticeable at high sound levels. If you have Sirius radio (Which was great sound by the way but I didn’t subscribe after six months) and still have the same problem then it is likely a speaker problem. Best of luck.

Gary

Shives

Reaction score
The factory radios have an issue folks. Audio over USB is horrid. Try having your phone plugged in to the USB port…. Make sure your phone is also hooked up via Bluetooth. Now, play your song at level 20 while connected with USB. Turn up to 25, then 30.

Notice how it does not get louder and is just distorted!?

Now, pull the USB plug out your phone, and listen on Bluetooth. My best is Bluetooth was louder and more clear.

It’s an issue since new. Hope these folks at Ram will figure it out asap. Dead sick of it.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I’m waiting on some parts to fix a similar issue - in the meantime I put a 1/8 jack in the auxiliary port and now it works without an issue - but they will have to fix it properly nonetheless.

Curious to see if it would solve your issue, not that it’s a permanent fix, just a temporary solution.

KMach

Reaction score
Glad I’m not the only one. If I actually select usb and stay out of CarPlay it is better but will start to crackle eventually. Music under CarPlay screen is unusable. Tried another iPhone that was much newer and updated. Does the samething so it’s not a phone deal. Funny thing is, both phones work fine in the jeep 8.4 non nav model.

I also tried playing in iPod mode by disabling CarPlay, that works fine.

Updated the software on a hunch that would help since there was audio improvements… didn’t help me.

KMach

Reaction score
I’m waiting on some parts to fix a similar issue - in the meantime I put a 1/8 jack in the auxiliary port and now it works without an issue - but they will have to fix it properly nonetheless.

Curious to see if it would solve your issue, not that it’s a permanent fix, just a temporary solution.
Didn’t see your post. You just have an aux cord lead plugged in not being used and this helped the CarPlay distortion?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Didn’t see your post. You just have an aux cord lead plugged in not being used and this helped the CarPlay distortion?
It made my system go from unusable to workable, mine wouldn’t hold a setting even while on a call. When I spoke with the guy in service he said that the tech showed him how even touching the module would make it fail.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 13, but I’ve also used an 8 and 11 in my truck. 8.4 screen. Audio becomes distorted after about half volume. No fix to this, it’s just the way they designed it I guess.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you using the micro USB port? I’ve had no issues with my iPhone 13 using the updated port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you using the micro USB port? I’ve had no issues with my iPhone 13 using the updated port.

Currently using the type A port right now. Are you refering to the USB C port?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Correct. The iPhone 13 and up come with a usb c charging cable now.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sweet. I'll look for mine. I just kept using what was already in my truck. Thanks!

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues on my 2020 with CarPlay over usb or on the new 2022 truck over wireless CarPlay. I have my Apple Music setup for the high bitrate streaming and for downloaded music aswell.

I do have a bit of lag between skipping songs on the new truck, but I think that’s normal when using Bluetooth.

Music is loud and clear at all volumes. iPhone 13 pro max with iOS 15.4.1

Users who are viewing this thread