5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Car Play Problem

Bones136

Reaction score
2024 Ram Limited 1500 having problem with Apple Car Play. The unusual symptoms are that when an Apple IPhone is on in the truck the speakers in the drivers door will intermittently stop working. No rhyme or reason how long it will not play sound. Bumps in the road don’t cause or fix problem. This occurs across all music sources such as Sirius or Am-Fm not just from the IPhone. Power off the phone and the problem goes away. Power up the phone and open it like you were going to dial a number and the drivers door speakers stop working. Pretty disappointed to have this problem the second day of ownership. Dealership has opened up a case with Ram regarding this issue, but no answer as of yet. Anyone else have this problem? Dealership believes it’s a software issue and putting it on Ram to solve it. Any suggestions feel free to post your thoughts or fixes.

Bsjoiner

Reaction score
I think I have the exact same issue. I had it on my 22 Limited and now 23 limited. Flip the mute switch on your IPhone and see if the issue goes away. That fixes it on my end but is not really a fix. I normally have my iPhone muted but when I don’t the issue is there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe the phone or uconnect senses the phone's sending notification tone and mute the driver door speaker to play the notification tone. put your phone in mute may temporary solve that issue. Make sure your phone's updated too.
what iphone you got?

Bsjoiner

Reaction score
I work in IT and get a new iPhone Pro Max every year. My phone is always on the latest release of iOS.

dajogejr

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re using wireless car play.
Just for giggles…. Remove the device from your truck. Remove the truck from your phone AND from CarPlay.
Plug in using a cable and pair it that way for carplay.
I’m thinking your truck could get the UConnect update over the air? Are you on the latest version of software for the truck itself?

Being in IT myself… you know duplication is part of diagnosis. Anybody else other than you with an iPhone you could pair to your truck to see if they have the same issue with their phone?
That would eliminate if it’s your phone or your truck…
If your significant other, cousin, sister, brother, former roommate twice removed…their phone does the same…

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wifes car (Not Uconnect) will not connect wirelessly and the exact thing that dajogejr said. You have to plug it in with the cable and attach it via the cable for the wireless part to work again. Might be something to try.

Bones136

Reaction score
maybe the phone or uconnect senses the phone's sending notification tone and mute the driver door speaker to play the notification tone. put your phone in mute may temporary solve that issue. Make sure your phone's updated too.
what iphone you got?
Going to try everything tomorrow. Discovered yesterday that if I open the camera and leave it on the problem goes away. Close the camera and the speaker shuts off. 🤪 Wacky. I have IPhone 11 Pro Max. All updated. Just hope Ram doesn’t point the finger at Apple and Apple points the finger at Ram.

Bones136

Reaction score
I’m assuming you’re using wireless car play.
Just for giggles…. Remove the device from your truck. Remove the truck from your phone AND from CarPlay.
Plug in using a cable and pair it that way for carplay.
I’m thinking your truck could get the UConnect update over the air? Are you on the latest version of software for the truck itself?

Being in IT myself… you know duplication is part of diagnosis. Anybody else other than you with an iPhone you could pair to your truck to see if they have the same issue with their phone?
That would eliminate if it’s your phone or your truck…
If your significant other, cousin, sister, brother, former roommate twice removed…their phone does the same…
Definitely worth a shot. Although the tech at the dealership used his phone and it did it also. Wife’s is paired also. She said it did it when the phone woke up when it was picked up and screen came on. She has IPhone 11 and I have IPhone Pro Max. Both all up to date. If I open the camera problem goes away. Camera times out and goes dark and speaker shuts off.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going to try everything tomorrow. Discovered yesterday that if I open the camera and leave it on the problem goes away. Close the camera and the speaker shuts off. 🤪 Wacky. I have IPhone 11 Pro Max. All updated. Just hope Ram doesn’t point the finger at Apple and Apple points the finger at Ram.
hmm that should be the other way around LOL

dajogejr

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like a jerk.. don’t it that way.
Any idea how old the tech’s phone was?
Your iPhone 11s are over 4 generations old.

Bones136

Reaction score
Not trying to sound like a jerk.. don’t it that way.
Any idea how old the tech’s phone was?
Your iPhone 11s are over 4 generations old.
I suppose you’re right. In IPhone years that an eternity. Felt like I just got them. I’ll have to try someone’s new model phone. If that would make it work I’d be happy to get a couple thousand dollars worth of new phones. Not much when added to the price of the truck.

Bigfoot750

Reaction score
When my 23 was new it happened leaving the dealership. Held the power button down and did a reset all good for a while. It’s happened one other time in 8k miles. This was on the 12in radio if that matters

dajogejr

Reaction score
I suppose you’re right. In IPhone years that an eternity. Felt like I just got them. I’ll have to try someone’s new model phone. If that would make it work I’d be happy to get a couple thousand dollars worth of new phones. Not much when added to the price of the truck.

Disposable items now a days…damn shame.
bigfoot’s got a point. You can do a reset on your radio…. Not sure if the dealer tried that, but have you?

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 22... I think all this nonsense started after the last OTA update... I have an iPhone14 Pro that is always up to date with its operating system. Whenever I have it connected to wireless CarPlay, the driver side speakers come in and out. If I disconnect CP, it goes away. I have done the soft and the hard resets on the truck's system, and the results are the same....

I think their S/W engineers need to keep working on this overall system... it is far from reliable.

Bones136

Reaction score

Bones136

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 22... I think all this nonsense started after the last OTA update... I have an iPhone14 Pro that is always up to date with its operating system. Whenever I have it connected to wireless CarPlay, the driver side speakers come in and out. If I disconnect CP, it goes away. I have done the soft and the hard resets on the truck's system, and the results are the same....

I think their S/W engineers need to keep working on this overall system... it is far from reliable.
Today I reloaded the phone into the truck’s system. Negative results. I have the IPhone 11 Pro Max my wife has the 11 Pro. I’m set up as profile #1 and she is profile # 2. Wife’s phone in her profile seems to work with no problems. Using her phone for car play in my profile resulted in car play working just fine. Using my IPhone Pro Max for car play in her profile resulted in the drivers door speakers cutting out. This is the really weird part. The speakers would almost always cut out approx 300 yards from my house as I was braking for a stop sign and almost stopped. Driving back to my driveway the speaker would stay off. Sitting in the driveway in park it would come back on by its self after a minute or two. Checked all settings on my phone to hers with negative results. I’d get a new phone if I new it would work but that might be throwing good money out the window.

Bones136

Reaction score
I think I have the exact same issue. I had it on my 22 Limited and now 23 limited. Flip the mute switch on your IPhone and see if the issue goes away. That fixes it on my end but is not really a fix. I normally have my iPhone muted but when I don’t the issue is there.

Bones136

Reaction score
Your are right on the money. After all my testing I thought my wife’s 11 was working and my 11 pro max wasn’t. Put y phone on silent and problem went away. Had wife check her phone and yup sure enough it had been on silent the whole time. Been an Apple fan for some time. Maybe my kids have been right all along with their androids.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your are right on the money. After all my testing I thought my wife’s 11 was working and my 11 pro max wasn’t. Put y phone on silent and problem went away. Had wife check her phone and yup sure enough it had been on silent the whole time. Been an Apple fan for some time. Maybe my kids have been right all along with their androids.
My 15 pro max goes silent all the time because the top button on the left if held down makes it silent and that’s how I pick up my phone. Glad you fixed it.

JDK6653

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue, when my iPhone is connected to Air Play no sound from the left speaker. There are times it cuts in and out without explanation. Not even going to try to take this to the dealer, because I will receive zero answers. I have a 2022 Ram Rebel with 12" screen.

Reactions: ajp

Users who are viewing this thread