5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Car Play disconnecting frequently

Rodgie

Reaction score
My apple Car Play continuously disconnects and then will take forever to reconnect if it ever does. It consistently will lose connectivity while having a phone conversation, while trying to use google or apple maps, listening to apple music.

I've tried restarting my phone, restarting the radio, Factory reset and nothing has corrected the issue. The dealership says there is no problem with the cable im using Apple Brand(USB-C), and they were unable to duplicate. It's not like it is all the time but it is very frequent. We were traveling and trying to use maps and it would constantly lose connectivity and I would have to pull over to look at the map on my phone.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue?

it doesn't seem like the dealership can/will help and I contacted FCA customer care @RamCares didn't seem to care either.

I went from a 2018 Ram Eco diesel with 134K with a blown motor to a 22 Sport and the radio looked really impressive, unfortunately it doesn't function that well.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All I can suggest, is try your phone and cable in another vehicle, and have somebody try theirs in the truck. That way you can verify for sure whether it is the truck or the phone. See if you can find a certain situation that may cause it, as in wiggle wires, or see if it is over bumps. The mechanic doesn't get paid to drive around for possibly hours to diagnose. If it works when they check, it passes.

Squatch79

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have this exact issue, but does have some from time to time. Mostly with Apple Music. Usually I can unplug the USB-C cord, close out Apple Music on my phone and re-start and it picks right up. Sometime it doesn't. I was using Google maps once on a trip out of town for a baseball game and it totally went haywire. Froze up, screen went black, non-responsive, even on the phone. Tried the same procedure with restarting it to no avail, but I was able to swap over to Apple maps and use it with no issue. Kinda quirky at times, but for the most part it works when it wants to.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that when your phone battery is topped off? On a long (13 hour road trip) my iphone 13 was cutting off carplay almost randomly while fully charged - I'd take the phone off and swap with with android (same cable, it's magnetic) and burn off some iphone battery with a full bright video on mute - no issues until the battery was full again

mbearden

Reaction score
I had this happen today! I got in the truck to leave work and CarPlay wouldn't connect. I went to device manager and tried to connect and it would never connect. I drove home and tried again once in the driveway...no luck. I disconnected from the iPhone and the truck to repair devices. Once I did that and tried to repair CarPlay wasn't even an option. I contacted UConnect support through the RAM App on my phone and here's the process I went through.

1. Turn off Bluetooth and Wifi on the phone.
2. With the ignition on Accessory mode and the screen displayed, press and hold the power button on the truck 10 - 15 seconds until it turns off and restarts. In my case the screen turned off and rebooted a couple of times even though support said it would only occur once.
3. When that completes turn on BlueTooth and Wifi on the iPhone.
4. Go through the pairing process through Bluetooth. Once the paring completes you'll be prompted to use CarPlay.

Once I completed all of these steps I was able to use CarPlay again. If you have customer your CarPlay screen layout you'll need to reconfigure because it reverts to the default layout.

Maybe this will help.

I still have issues with a random screen selected on startup. Sometimes it's my customized screen, sometimes it's the Controls screen, sometimes it's the Apps screen.

And I always have the issue of when exit the camera app from reversions or viewing another camera view, it always goes to full-screen CarPlay view. Hopeing for an update soon. I'm on version FCS-MY23.T25.48-PROD.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
My 23 does that every once in a while, it always reconnects immediately.
Tom

GMetal

Reaction score
Mine does this too. I have to restart the phone and Uconnect numerous times then it works fine. It works fine then I stop to get gas or something and as I leave it wont reconnect. I tried both the cable and the wireless connection. Frustrating to say the least. Works 95% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread