5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wish they had NOT ordered Ramboxes?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One takeaway from this thread: RamBoxes (despite any flaws) are one of the most-loved features on the Ram...at least for those that have them. The only other piece of equipment on the Ram that generates this much love is the Hellwig sway bar...a third-party accessory :)

I think it's a fantastic option!
I totally understand the guys who didn't go with them, after all I think there's a reason Ram offers trucks with and without them.

For me personally? I've had 800-1000lbs in the bed of both trucks, and of stuff in the construction material category - never needed the extra space.
If anything I was very happy to have flat walls, made it easy to keep the cargo centered as I stacked boxes on top of eachother!

A good friend of mine is now driving a Ram, I think in no small part due to the Ram boxes! Add in the Hemi and the factory lift, red interior? Rebel sold him on the brand.

smanthrav

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2021 Ram Rebel. I was initially completely sold on getting ram boxes. After looking at a truck with the boxes, I had concerns about the bed size. It’s not a work truck and I’ll mostly be using it to safely store my bicycles covered under a tonneu cover so I can ride after work. Ram boxes limit the bed size to where I can only store one bike. Not being able to road trip with 2 bikes and some luggage was just not going to work for me. Besides, the ram boxes are just too small for me to do anything meaningful with them. Would rather install a storage system under the tonneu cover. I felt that the extra bed space makes the truck more versatile.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Hopefully this hasn't already been answered a ton of times,...but this is my first truck, andI have ram boxes, and the soft tri fold tonneau cover. I've found that the truck bed gets more water in the back than I expected when it rains, due to the gaps near where the ramboxes and tailgate meet (on the sides, where the tonneau cover doesn't reach) Is this normal?
I know exactly the place you're talking about. I found some rubber tube weather stripping material with self-adhesive tape on the back of it that I added to those areas to offer better water protection that was not covered by my tonneau cover. McMaster-Carr website. Item # 93085K365. I think the minimum order size was like 10'. I have loads of extra to say the least. If you want some, $4 or so should cover the shipping of a first class envelope and I'd give you the material for free as I'll never use all that.

Last edited:

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2021 Ram Rebel. I was initially completely sold on getting ram boxes. After looking at a truck with the boxes, I had concerns about the bed size. It’s not a work truck and I’ll mostly be using it to safely store my bicycles covered under a tonneu cover so I can ride after work. Ram boxes limit the bed size to where I can only store one bike. Not being able to road trip with 2 bikes and some luggage was just not going to work for me. Besides, the ram boxes are just too small for me to do anything meaningful with them. Would rather install a storage system under the tonneu cover. I felt that the extra bed space makes the truck more versatile.

I guess it depends on the type of tools you use and what you need easy access to. I personally keep parts in one side and small tool bags with hand tools I use allot and need quick access in the other. I use storage bins for larger tools in the back as they also protect tools from any water leakage from the tonneu hard cover. I typically don't transport any really large, heavy items as I do mostly small handyman type jobs. We also have bikes that we transport, but I bought a bike rack that uses the hitch receiver. Ram just gives you different options for many different purposes.

schmelz

Reaction score
I am interested in a truck camper (NorthStar TC650) and chose not to get the RamBoxes for that reason. I spoke to a salesman (camper dealer) and he said it won't fit with them. I have not confirmed that this is the case. Anybody able to confirm this? I have a 2021 1500 Limited w 6'4" bed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am interested in a truck camper (NorthStar TC650) and chose not to get the RamBoxes for that reason. I spoke to a salesman (camper dealer) and he said it won't fit with them. I have not confirmed that this is the case. Anybody able to confirm this? I have a 2021 1500 Limited w 6'4" bed.
I have yet to see any slide in camper that will allow you to open the rambox lids enough to make them usable. I'm sure he would have tried to sell you one if he knew of one that would work.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So out of curiosity I just looked up this model, now I could be wrong and you probably researched it much better than I have!

But, 1405lbs - as the "old timers" tell everyone who will listen on RV/Camper boards, might end up being more like 1550lbs. They have this weird way of being heavier than advertised pretty much without fail. Then you add in the gear.

A Ram 1500 limited's total payload doorsticker number could be like 1,250ish lbs.
Subtract a driver and a backpack of gear and you're at 1,000lbs remaining, total.

Off by 500lbs+

That is 3/4ton territory - and it actually exceeds payloads on some of those too. Loaded up powerwagons would be out of payload, and there are F250 diesel platinums floating around with doorstickers like ~1,900lbs.

1900lbs - 1,550 - 200lbs of gear = 150lbs left for a driver. For real.

That camper could be lighter and I could be off!
But. 1,500lbs on a trailer is a joke for a Ram 1500. Puh-lease. 150lbs of tongue weight!
Hell even a 5,000lb trailer, welll within design parameters, only 500lbs tongue weight eating into the payload.

Take a 1,200lb number, -500lb tongue weight = 700lbs remaining. -250 for Driver and loaded gearpack? 450lbs.
Enough weight for a female travel companion and almost all the suitcases she wants to bring! :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201212-102257_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20201212-102257_Brave.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 24

redbranch

Reaction score
I'm pretty smitten with mine too. One thing I do miss on a weekly basis is the little alcoves my Sierra had in the rear bumper to get your foot into as you stepped into the back of the bed. It's only a few inches, but made a big difference in the ease of which a person could climb up there. I also struggle with what exactly I'm supposed to grab onto to pull myself up. The ramboxes negate any bed stake holes in the bed, so that option for a hand hold doesn't exist. I know Ram sells a swing out step accessory, but at $300, I'm pretty turned off by the price-point. Even the well reviewed aftermarket ones are well over $250. For around $500, you could get a bonified metal off road bumper with the foot holds in it. Not sure what path I'm going to take yet, but something definitely needs to change. The Ram sits a little higher than my Sierra, which normally I like, until it's time to climb into the bed.
Mike_WI, I've got a brand new, still in the box that I never opened, deployable bed step that I won't need to install since I'm trading up t a new RAM that already has one installed. If you want it for $200, it's yours. I'm in WI too.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Mike_WI, I've got a brand new, still in the box that I never opened, deployable bed step that I won't need to install since I'm trading up t a new RAM that already has one installed. If you want it for $200, it's yours. I'm in WI too.
Oh man, I wish I would have ran into you sooner. I had a moment of weakness a few weeks ago and pulled the pin on one. Thanks for the offer though. I'm a tightwad and always looking for a good deal, which that certainly was. You could most definitely sell that on ebay without too much hassle and probably get even more for it. Best price I could find was around $265 with free shipping when I bought mine. You could probably go $235 on it and it would be sold in a week.

dandar

Reaction score
So out of curiosity I just looked up this model, now I could be wrong and you probably researched it much better than I have!

But, 1405lbs - as the "old timers" tell everyone who will listen on RV/Camper boards, might end up being more like 1550lbs. They have this weird way of being heavier than advertised pretty much without fail. Then you add in the gear.

A Ram 1500 limited's total payload doorsticker number could be like 1,250ish lbs.
Subtract a driver and a backpack of gear and you're at 1,000lbs remaining, total.

Off by 500lbs+

That is 3/4ton territory - and it actually exceeds payloads on some of those too. Loaded up powerwagons would be out of payload, and there are F250 diesel platinums floating around with doorstickers like ~1,900lbs.

1900lbs - 1,550 - 200lbs of gear = 150lbs left for a driver. For real.

That camper could be lighter and I could be off!
But. 1,500lbs on a trailer is a joke for a Ram 1500. Puh-lease. 150lbs of tongue weight!
Hell even a 5,000lb trailer, welll within design parameters, only 500lbs tongue weight eating into the payload.

Take a 1,200lb number, -500lb tongue weight = 700lbs remaining. -250 for Driver and loaded gearpack? 450lbs.
Enough weight for a female travel companion and almost all the suitcases she wants to bring! :ROFLMAO:
Trucks are notoriously underrated by the manufacturers. Take any stupid minivan and most have payload range in the 1200s. Same goes for most midsize SUVs based on car platform. I accidentally had 2000 pounds on my air ride limited and it barely noticed, though I couldn't operate ride height as a safety precaution. The tile dealer said they would weigh 800 pounds, but that was figured using 12x12 tiles while I ordered 12x24. Add a pallet, a few other things, me, wife, kids and it was ~2000 pounds.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd take it for $200 if you'll ship it to me in TN for that; I wouldn't mind having one to get up in there.

Cysix

Reaction score
Have seen lots of posts from people who have Ramboxes and love them. Does anyone here have Ramboxes and wish they didn’t? Why?

I’ve heard about warping, but wondering if there are any other downsides that would make me regret the choice.

Thanks!
Super handy, BUT your options for bed racks are nearly non-existent. Would love it if FCA would offer slightly shorter Ram Box that still allowed standard bed rack mounting options in the corners.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
1st time with ram boxes and I love them, I work in construction so I keep all kinds of things in it.
milwaukee 1/2" impact kit and socket set, tie downs, tow strap, hitch shackle, sockets and ratchets, 12v air compressor kit, screwdrivers, pliers and crescent wrenches, gloves, box of bungie cords, hard hat and vest, tape measure, roller tape, laser measure, 1st aid kit, tire patch kit. And I still have room for a bunch more. Normally all this stuff went under the back seat of my trucks, so its nice having the back not so cluttered.

The lines aren't perfect, maybe 1/16" warping, but they don't let any water in and I use the drive through car wash once a week. The convenience of them far outweighs the slight warping issue.

edit:
other feature I really like is the 120v outlet, I use that to run my 12v/120v craftsman compressor. And I added a little Schrader valve right next to the outlet to fill up the airlift bags in the back. Kinda the perfect little setup.

And back to the original question, only thing I see people complain about on here is the slight misalignment, so if you're a perfectionist this might bug you. And a few people that regularly haul stuff that is wider than 4' and cant fit with the Ram boxes.

Things I have fit in the back of my truck.... sheets of plywood, full size pallet of insulation, full pallet of bricks, pallet of mulch, 36" skid steer auger bit, 1500 ft/lb class backhoe breaker, that barely fit, its like 8' long and bottomed out my truck, was kinda worried it was going to break my tailgate. Only thing I can't is most skidsteer attachments because they are a tad too wide.
Uhh, see photo. That's about all thats been in the bed... I don’t think he’d have fit in the rambox but not from a lack of trying on his part...

Attachments

• 333A92AE-25ED-48CE-9DA9-3DE1C1044880.jpeg
    333A92AE-25ED-48CE-9DA9-3DE1C1044880.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread