5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wish they had NOT ordered Ramboxes?

Mike_WI

Reaction score
I guess I very seldom have to climb in the bed. I bought the 3 tier hard cover to keep my tools in so they're not visible and have some amount of security. My tools are in heavy duty covered bins so I don't have to worry about them getting wet as the top is not 100% waterproof. I rigged up a 1-1/4" wood closet poll with a hook to reach the bins and pull them out, so I never get into the bed. The few times I crawl in there when I have to move something big, I just get up on the tail gate. I'm 6'2 with long legs and arms, getting up through back no is no big deal. My 2011 Silverado was the generation before they added the step to the bumper, so I never had it to compare to the Ram. I assume the new split tailgate on newest Rams probably helps that a little as you can step on the lower center portion of the bumper to get up.
I'm the same height as you. I'm positive my Rebel sits higher. Way higher than my previous Sierra. When I first bought the Rebel it didn't have any running boards. Even getting into the cab was a bit of a chore. I like the fact it sits higher, just makes things like running boards and the bed step pretty much a necessity. Since buying the truck I've added running boards and the bed steps, along with some OEM cargo bed lights. The viscous cycle has begun. Sell the old truck, sell all the old truck's accessories. Buy the new truck, buy a bunch of new accessories. Circle of life....lol.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brother in law got them in his new ram. He likes the storage, but he wishes he didn't get them because his portable fish house and auger doesn't fit in the back without the the extra space between the wheel wells.. Thats a big deal to him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Most everyone that uses these trucks as actual working trucks, like me, skipped the Ram boxes and not because of warpage but because they box you into that configuration. The only "working" guy I've known who had the Ram boxes was the guy who did the inspections on my houses, but the only real stuff he needed was tape and line measures and little stuff like that. So for him they were convenient. For guys like me carrying table saws, chop saws, all kinds of stuff plus sheets of plywood or drywall or 16 foot 2 bys, the Ram boxes hem you in. You can't use a truck topper (which is what I've got and most of the trade workers I know have) and you lose the space above the wheel wells, which a lot of times is the difference between having a load of lumber AND the table saw etc and having to make 2 trips. I've had the entire back of my truck full, bed to topper ceiling, with supplies and tools - that would have been a 2-3 trip setup with the Ram boxes.

So I like them but they weren't practical for me. What *would* be cool is some optional under-bed boxes. There's enough clearance down there that for guys who aren't planning on doing any rock crawling, you could have a couple of low-boy storage boxes that could hold all that crap that the Ramboxes are good for like jumper cables and trailer balls.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much weight a rambox can safely hold though? One thing I did on my Tacoma, and then my Sierra was add a second deep cell battery for camping purposes to run my 12V frdige/freezer. My Tacoma had space for a dual battery tray. My Sierra actually had a second battery tray right in the engine bay. It doesn't look like there is room for a second battery tray in the Ram. However I came across a short buy sweet video on YouTube where an Australian (go figure) aftermarket company installed a deep cell system right in the RamBox. Looks pretty simple, but I do have reservations about dropping a 65 pound battery in there. Obviously it will be tied down, but still, the bottom of the Ramboxes are just plastic after all. Curious if excessive bumps and what-not could compromise the bottom of the Rambox with that much weight in one spot.

That being said though, the Rambox is literally why I bought my first Dodge. I really like it. It's a great use of space, they hold a ton of gear, and I'm excited to put them to good use next summer when we start camping again.
There is a tread on here about someone that shoe horned in a 2nd battery . IIRC he went with aftermarket intake and modified oem battery tray perhaps from 2500. Don't remember exact details but it came out nice.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Reaction score
The viscous cycle has begun. Sell the old truck, sell all the old truck's accessories. Buy the new truck, buy a bunch of new accessories. Circle of life....lol.
I've never had a truck before so I ordered the truck with the "accessories" I thought it should have to begin with.
  • Running Boards -- check.
  • Bed Utility Group & Bed Step-- check.
  • RAM Boxes -- check.
I like my RAM boxes just fine. Do they have perfect-looking "panel gaps"? No, they do not. Are they functional? Yes, they are. But it's a truck, not a show-car.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most everyone that uses these trucks as actual working trucks, like me, skipped the Ram boxes and not because of warpage but because they box you into that configuration. The only "working" guy I've known who had the Ram boxes was the guy who did the inspections on my houses, but the only real stuff he needed was tape and line measures and little stuff like that. So for him they were convenient. For guys like me carrying table saws, chop saws, all kinds of stuff plus sheets of plywood or drywall or 16 foot 2 bys, the Ram boxes hem you in. You can't use a truck topper (which is what I've got and most of the trade workers I know have) and you lose the space above the wheel wells, which a lot of times is the difference between having a load of lumber AND the table saw etc and having to make 2 trips. I've had the entire back of my truck full, bed to topper ceiling, with supplies and tools - that would have been a 2-3 trip setup with the Ram boxes.

So I like them but they weren't practical for me. What *would* be cool is some optional under-bed boxes. There's enough clearance down there that for guys who aren't planning on doing any rock crawling, you could have a couple of low-boy storage boxes that could hold all that crap that the Ramboxes are good for like jumper cables and trailer balls.
I think you missed the point. The OP is asking people who actually have them if they wish they didn't. Not whether people who didn't get them regret not buying them, although that might be an interesting thread too LOL.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. The OP is asking people who actually have them if they wish they didn't. Not whether people who didn't get them regret not buying them, although that might be an interesting thread too LOL.
Not really. I realize what he asked but the thread morphed into just a general discussion about Ram boxes, which I thought was interesting and worth participating in; otherwise, this thread could just be a page long with 15 people saying "Yes, I wish I didn't get them" or " No, I'm glad I got them" which would be pretty ****ing boring.

On a side note, I don't really get the urge some people have to be the thread police. I'm all for calling people out that shat on others in a thread, acting like an *******, but beyond that conversations usually have a way of just taking on a life of their own. I often wonder if the thread police act the same way at Thanksgiving dinner or similar - "OK grandma, get with the damned program; we were discussing whether you like wings or drumsticks, not how nice the turkey was you made 20 years ago, so shape up or shut up." :D

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Back on topic...Has anyone that actually has RamBoxes said they wish they didn’t yet? I may have missed it...

Buckle

Reaction score
Hopefully this hasn't already been answered a ton of times,...but this is my first truck, andI have ram boxes, and the soft tri fold tonneau cover. I've found that the truck bed gets more water in the back than I expected when it rains, due to the gaps near where the ramboxes and tailgate meet (on the sides, where the tonneau cover doesn't reach) Is this normal?

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully this hasn't already been answered a ton of times,...but this is my first truck, andI have ram boxes, and the soft tri fold tonneau cover. I've found that the truck bed gets more water in the back than I expected when it rains, due to the gaps near where the ramboxes and tailgate meet (on the sides, where the tonneau cover doesn't reach) Is this normal?
I have a soft trifold tonneau Cover. I do not get any water in. The sides on top along the ram boxes seal tight. Back by the sides of the tail gate was definitely a spot for water intrusion but the cover manufacturer included a bulb type gasket weather striping to put on each side of the tailgate, about 2-3 horizontal piece on each side. They also included flat square pieces for the front corners as needed. I basically crawled in the bed on my back too see where I saw daylight and fixed those areas in the front corners.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back on topic...Has anyone that actually has RamBoxes said they wish they didn’t yet? I may have missed it...
Definitely don't regret getting ram boxes. One of my favorite and used options. They are not perfect but I tinkered with then by buying a package of rubber bumpers to push out the sides so they are flush the beds. The tops are about 1/16-1/8" higher than the mating surface of the bed but it close enough for me and I can be picky at times and after all it's a truck. Honestly the gaps are better on the ram than some other cars I have had. (Ford and GM)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not really. I realize what he asked but the thread morphed into just a general discussion about Ram boxes, which I thought was interesting and worth participating in; otherwise, this thread could just be a page long with 15 people saying "Yes, I wish I didn't get them" or " No, I'm glad I got them" which would be pretty ****ing boring.
So in other words, you want this thread to become just like pretty much every other thread about ramboxes. No, that's not boring at all. :ROFLMAO: The OP wanted to hear from people who actually have them, and whether we have any regrets about getting them. Presumably to help make a purchasing decision. Not all threads have to turn into 75 page discussions. We already have those.

Someone posted a response that he was told by someone who bought them that they wish they hadn't. But that qualifies as heresay.

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

While that was the primary intention of the thread, had it been enforced to "ONLY regret posts" boundary lines?
It would have like 5 posts in it, and slid out of existence to like page 35.
There would have been posts - just not that many, and not enough to keep it near the top every week.

This kind of thread is the kind that doesn't stick, if kept within its original intention.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While that was the primary intention of the thread, had it been enforced to "ONLY regret posts" boundary lines?
It would have like 5 posts in it, and slid out of existence to like page 35.
There would have been posts - just not that many, and not enough to keep it near the top every week.

This kind of thread is the kind that doesn't stick, if kept within its original intention.
One takeaway from this thread: RamBoxes (despite any flaws) are one of the most-loved features on the Ram...at least for those that have them. The only other piece of equipment on the Ram that generates this much love is the Hellwig sway bar...a third-party accessory :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One takeaway from this thread: RamBoxes (despite any flaws) are one of the most-loved features on the Ram...at least for those that have them. The only other piece of equipment on the Ram that generates this much love is the Hellwig sway bar...a third-party accessory :)
I couldn't agree more. Those who have them love them, even with their flaws. Hopefully those who chose not to get them are just as happy with that decision.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Definitely don't regret getting ram boxes. One of my favorite and used options. They are not perfect but I tinkered with then by buying a package of rubber bumpers to push out the sides so they are flush the beds. The tops are about 1/16-1/8" higher than the mating surface of the bed but it close enough for me and I can be picky at times and after all it's a truck. Honestly the gaps are better on the ram than some other cars I have had. (Ford and GM)

Can you provide a picture of what you have adjusted?

myles

Reaction score
1st time with ram boxes and I love them, I work in construction so I keep all kinds of things in it.
milwaukee 1/2" impact kit and socket set, tie downs, tow strap, hitch shackle, sockets and ratchets, 12v air compressor kit, screwdrivers, pliers and crescent wrenches, gloves, box of bungie cords, hard hat and vest, tape measure, roller tape, laser measure, 1st aid kit, tire patch kit. And I still have room for a bunch more. Normally all this stuff went under the back seat of my trucks, so its nice having the back not so cluttered.

The lines aren't perfect, maybe 1/16" warping, but they don't let any water in and I use the drive through car wash once a week. The convenience of them far outweighs the slight warping issue.

edit:
other feature I really like is the 120v outlet, I use that to run my 12v/120v craftsman compressor. And I added a little Schrader valve right next to the outlet to fill up the airlift bags in the back. Kinda the perfect little setup.

And back to the original question, only thing I see people complain about on here is the slight misalignment, so if you're a perfectionist this might bug you. And a few people that regularly haul stuff that is wider than 4' and cant fit with the Ram boxes.

Things I have fit in the back of my truck.... sheets of plywood, full size pallet of insulation, full pallet of bricks, pallet of mulch, 36" skid steer auger bit, 1500 ft/lb class backhoe breaker, that barely fit, its like 8' long and bottomed out my truck, was kinda worried it was going to break my tailgate. Only thing I can't is most skidsteer attachments because they are a tad too wide.

Last edited:

myles

Reaction score
Just kinda depends on what model cover you get, some gets a bunch of water, some don't let any water in. I have the truxedo lo pro soft roll up and when it rains I get barely any water in, like a few drops. But the drive through car wash lets a bit in at the corners. But I keep cardbaord boxes back there all the time and have never had one get wet. I did have to use a few layers of weather stripping at the tailgate to seal it up better though.

Users who are viewing this thread