5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wish they had NOT ordered Ramboxes?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For all the people with warping ramboxes, how come you dont warranty them?
There is a whole thread about this that's existed almost since the 5th gens have been out. Many of us have tried to get them fixed under warranty. The problem is most dealerships know very little about the ramboxes in general, and at least as far any anyone here has posted, none know how to actually fix the problem. Ram has come out with a service bulletin for adjusting the latch, but that's not the root of the problem. You can't fix this problem without redesigning the lids. And until that's done, this problem will continue. As long as most people are willing to overlook it, and continue to buy it, they'll keep making them the same way. I guess I'm in that category of people. I just wish the manufacturer would care more about the issue.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
At this point, the collective answer sounds something like, “What a silly question!” I’m very happy with mine...they are a key differentiator for Ram, along with the air suspension and fantastic upper-end interiors. They represent one of those good ideas where you look at them and think, “Why haven’t trucks always come that way?”

This is one of those "if you're actually going to use them" kind of thing (for me at least).

For people who use these as "working trucks" - the ability to grab frequently used tools, etc., along with an inverter outlet to charge batteries is a very cool thing.

I have no use for them - so I didn't get them. And not having need for them - I like the smoother lines of the bed (appearance-wise) without them. This purchase was more for a sport/luxury daily driver for me - than utility/work truck. And if RAM got smart - and made a full-sized SUV based on the 1500 Chassis (I found the Durango to be too cramped), I would trade up in an instant. Personally - I would have preferred a large interior cargo space - than a pickup bed (and I think toppers are UGLY and block your view).

OTOH - the MFT was a MUST for me - because my short/fat butt not having to get over a tailgate to get into the bed was one of the main selling point of the RAM (over the Ford 150 Platinum - along with the fact that the RAM options/interior are nicer at a better price).

This is a "different strokes/ymmv" thing. Though the multitude of reports of warped covers/doors, leads me to believe there were some "engineering shortcomings" to overcome.

Then again - if you're more concerned about usability over appearance - and the warpage doesn't cause the contents to get wet - probably not a huge issue...

Rick

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Very good point in calling out the 2 crowds that get these trucks. There's the folks that actually use them, and then there's the folks that use them as a car and for status, etc.

Was just off road this weekend plowing thru fields and creeks getting things ready for deer season. I suspect the crowd that complain the most will never have their trucks off road, in the mud, or use them as an actual truck. Maybe throw some groceries, soccer balls, and a cooler in the back :)

I fell off into some holes that would have been very bad had I not been in OR2 with the suspension. Fun fun fun.

My complaints still lie in the function of the truck A/C and transmission. But neither appear to be getting much consideration...just like the rambox.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I love them but cringe everytime I see the warpage. As I make stuff out of plastic, I presumed this was simply one of the trade offs to keep costs down on an 'experimental' option for FCA and I doubt it is high on their list to remedy until/unless the mold breaks or they get a smokin' deal on upgraded material costs. But I suspect by the time these become leakage and major warping issues that drive demand to replace them, the aftermarket will have a better solution in either some sort of carbon fiber polymer. My concern is WHEN the key latch/electronic mechanism fails. What kind of design work around can be done to ensure you can always access your stuff but keep it theft "deterrent"?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of those "if you're actually going to use them" kind of thing (for me at least).

For people who use these as "working trucks" - the ability to grab frequently used tools, etc., along with an inverter outlet to charge batteries is a very cool thing.

I have no use for them - so I didn't get them. And not having need for them - I like the smoother lines of the bed (appearance-wise) without them. This purchase was more for a sport/luxury daily driver for me - than utility/work truck. And if RAM got smart - and made a full-sized SUV based on the 1500 Chassis (I found the Durango to be too cramped), I would trade up in an instant. Personally - I would have preferred a large interior cargo space - than a pickup bed (and I think toppers are UGLY and block your view).

OTOH - the MFT was a MUST for me - because my short/fat butt not having to get over a tailgate to get into the bed was one of the main selling point of the RAM (over the Ford 150 Platinum - along with the fact that the RAM options/interior are nicer at a better price).

This is a "different strokes/ymmv" thing. Though the multitude of reports of warped covers/doors, leads me to believe there were some "engineering shortcomings" to overcome.

Then again - if you're more concerned about usability over appearance - and the warpage doesn't cause the contents to get wet - probably not a huge issue...

Rick
The farm boy in me agrees that these are a must-have for the persona that you mentioned (i.e. those who would want a toolbox anyway).

The designer in me disagrees on appearances. Coming from the heavy duty truck world (with pickup beds between 6'-6" and 8'), I thought the proportions of the Ram short bed without RamBoxes didn't quite work (odd waviness around the rear wheel well, and unbalanced lack of detail compared to the front half of the truck). I thought the RamBoxes fixed that proportion issue as well. Admittedly, I'd feel differently if mine weren't relatively "warp-free", as you can see here:
truck.jpg

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I keep my golf clubs on one side and use the other side as a "trunk". It's amazing how much stuff can go in them. 10/10.

BNeal

Reaction score
Given all the mixed reviews, I really debated when ordering mine. But after having it (granted, only 2-weeks now), I use it to keep my tow chain, jumper cables, trailer hitch, and so many other little things I never would have thought of. Mine look really good, but I know it's a brand new truck. But so far, really happy with them. (yea, I know you were looking for people with regrets, but thought I would chime in anyway).

Reaction score
My brother in law got them in his new ram. He likes the storage, but he wishes he didn't get them because his portable fish house and auger doesn't fit in the back without the the extra space between the wheel wells.. Thats a big deal to him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like that would be a pretty quiet thread :)

Yup!

Had Ramboxes on the last Rebel (the Gen1) and this one.
If I end up getting another truck one day, as I never intend on selling this one - A Ram with a ramboxes equipped would be at the top of the list.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Anyone knows how much weight they add? Payload on limiteds is pretty abysmal hence I have looked at ones without the rambox (or pano).
I just had my ramboxes out to spray fluid film under them during my winterizing saga. They are not that heavy based on their size. I'd say maybe 40-50 pounds per box.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much weight a rambox can safely hold though? One thing I did on my Tacoma, and then my Sierra was add a second deep cell battery for camping purposes to run my 12V frdige/freezer. My Tacoma had space for a dual battery tray. My Sierra actually had a second battery tray right in the engine bay. It doesn't look like there is room for a second battery tray in the Ram. However I came across a short buy sweet video on YouTube where an Australian (go figure) aftermarket company installed a deep cell system right in the RamBox. Looks pretty simple, but I do have reservations about dropping a 65 pound battery in there. Obviously it will be tied down, but still, the bottom of the Ramboxes are just plastic after all. Curious if excessive bumps and what-not could compromise the bottom of the Rambox with that much weight in one spot.

That being said though, the Rambox is literally why I bought my first Dodge. I really like it. It's a great use of space, they hold a ton of gear, and I'm excited to put them to good use next summer when we start camping again.

Mike_WI

Reaction score
I love my ram boxes. Very slight warping but I can live with it. The ram boxes are one of the reasons I ordered my truck. No local dealers had any in stock with ram boxes. I use them a lot and I love the utility of them.

I believe the spray liner is standard with the ram boxes. When I ordered my truck there was only the option to delete the spray liner. I may be wrong but that was my experience when I ordered my truck.

I wish I would have ordered the bed utility group. I really like that plastic separator that comes with it. The dealer told me it was standard with the ram boxes so I skipped it. When the truck came in there was no separator. He looked into it and said they stopped including it without letting him know. He is trying to find one to order separately but he says it’s not showing up as a part he can order separately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For that bed divider you mentioned, buy a used one. I got one local for like $50. They are stupid expensive new from the dealer. I think they are in the $700 range. Totally not worth that. Check Craigslist, Search Tempest, and Facebook Marketplace for a used one. They regularly show up in my region for a fraction of what a new one costs. There isn't really anything on them that can wear out, so I don't see any risk by purchasing a used one. Heck, even on eBay they go for half of what a new one is from the dealer, but I look at those as still kinda pricey and kept an eye on local social media classified ads.

laramie4x4

Reaction score
Very good point in calling out the 2 crowds that get these trucks. There's the folks that actually use them, and then there's the folks that use them as a car and for status, etc.

Was just off road this weekend plowing thru fields and creeks getting things ready for deer season. I suspect the crowd that complain the most will never have their trucks off road, in the mud, or use them as an actual truck. Maybe throw some groceries, soccer balls, and a cooler in the back :)

I fell off into some holes that would have been very bad had I not been in OR2 with the suspension. Fun fun fun.

My complaints still lie in the function of the truck A/C and transmission. But neither appear to be getting much consideration...just like the rambox.
I agree with your point, but just couldn't resist to point out since when owning a truck is "for status"?

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much weight a rambox can safely hold though? One thing I did on my Tacoma, and then my Sierra was add a second deep cell battery for camping purposes to run my 12V frdige/freezer. My Tacoma had space for a dual battery tray. My Sierra actually had a second battery tray right in the engine bay. It doesn't look like there is room for a second battery tray in the Ram. However I came across a short buy sweet video on YouTube where an Australian (go figure) aftermarket company installed a deep cell system right in the RamBox. Looks pretty simple, but I do have reservations about dropping a 65 pound battery in there. Obviously it will be tied down, but still, the bottom of the Ramboxes are just plastic after all. Curious if excessive bumps and what-not could compromise the bottom of the Rambox with that much weight in one spot.

That being said though, the Rambox is literally why I bought my first Dodge. I really like it. It's a great use of space, they hold a ton of gear, and I'm excited to put them to good use next summer when we start camping again.

According to the Ram 1500 User Guide P. 68, the Rambox capacity is 150lbs per side, but it states the load
should be evenly distributed. You could probably add an 3/32" or 1/8" aluminum plate in the bottom the better distribute the weight over the thin plastic bottom.

I have to agree with you and others on this thread, I ordered my Ram 1500 because I wanted the Rambox. I didn't know anything about warping issues, until I noticed over time mine has warped a little. I've had my Ram for about 1-1/2 years, and I love it and use it a lot. I haven't had any leaks or problems with it locking, so I don't see the issue with a little mis-alignment and would order Rambox if I ever got another truck. Actually I love the whole system with the mounting side rails and the bed divider that doubles as a temporary multifunction tailgate when you need a little extra bed length, to keep things from sliding out. I was a Chevy guy before this, but so far really love everything about the Ram. 20201114_091849_resized.jpg 20201114_091907_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_WI

Reaction score
According to the Ram 1500 User Guide P. 68, the Rambox capacity is 150lbs per side, but it states the load
should be evenly distributed. You could probably add an 3/32" or 1/8" aluminum plate in the bottom the better distribute the weight over the thin plastic bottom.

I have to agree with you and others on this thread, I ordered my Ram 1500 because I wanted the Rambox. I didn't know anything about warping issues, until I noticed over time mine has warped a little. I've had my Ram for about 1-1/2 years, and I love it and use it a lot. I haven't had any leaks or problems with it locking, so I don't see the issue with a little mis-alignment and would order Rambox if I ever got another truck. Actually I love the whole system with the mounting side rails and the bed divider that doubles as a temporary multifunction tailgate when you need a little extra bed length, to keep things from sliding out. I was a Chevy guy before this, but so far really love everything about the Ram. View attachment 73960 View attachment 73961
I'm pretty smitten with mine too. One thing I do miss on a weekly basis is the little alcoves my Sierra had in the rear bumper to get your foot into as you stepped into the back of the bed. It's only a few inches, but made a big difference in the ease of which a person could climb up there. I also struggle with what exactly I'm supposed to grab onto to pull myself up. The ramboxes negate any bed stake holes in the bed, so that option for a hand hold doesn't exist. I know Ram sells a swing out step accessory, but at $300, I'm pretty turned off by the price-point. Even the well reviewed aftermarket ones are well over $250. For around $500, you could get a bonified metal off road bumper with the foot holds in it. Not sure what path I'm going to take yet, but something definitely needs to change. The Ram sits a little higher than my Sierra, which normally I like, until it's time to climb into the bed.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm pretty smitten with mine too. One thing I do miss on a weekly basis is the little alcoves my Sierra had in the rear bumper to get your foot into as you stepped into the back of the bed. It's only a few inches, but made a big difference in the ease of which a person could climb up there. I also struggle with what exactly I'm supposed to grab onto to pull myself up. The ramboxes negate any bed stake holes in the bed, so that option for a hand hold doesn't exist. I know Ram sells a swing out step accessory, but at $300, I'm pretty turned off by the price-point. Even the well reviewed aftermarket ones are well over $250. For around $500, you could get a bonified metal off road bumper with the foot holds in it. Not sure what path I'm going to take yet, but something definitely needs to change. The Ram sits a little higher than my Sierra, which normally I like, until it's time to climb into the bed.
The bed step is worth every penny in my honest opinion...

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I guess I very seldom have to climb in the bed. I bought the 3 tier hard cover to keep my tools in so they're not visible and have some amount of security. My tools are in heavy duty covered bins so I don't have to worry about them getting wet as the top is not 100% waterproof. I rigged up a 1-1/4" wood closet poll with a hook to reach the bins and pull them out, so I never get into the bed. The few times I crawl in there when I have to move something big, I just get up on the tail gate. I'm 6'2 with long legs and arms, getting up through back no is no big deal. My 2011 Silverado was the generation before they added the step to the bumper, so I never had it to compare to the Ram. I assume the new split tailgate on newest Rams probably helps that a little as you can step on the lower center portion of the bumper to get up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/