5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone removed the Filter that's in the intake lid?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just seems that there's a failure to communicate here.

It's made with carbon, so, yeah, "it's early"...as in "from the beginning". The carbon is there on purpose, it's not a maintenance issue. If it were there from driving, I'd hate to think what the air was doing to your lungs.
Copy that... yes, misunderstanding. I haven't looked at the filter yet because there's no reason... now I'm kinda curious.

mattirishbrown

Reaction score
Hey guys just was wondering if anyone has removed the filter above the main filter that's in the intake lid? Thinking about taking mine out to gain a little more airflow.

I did, and I could feel a difference in rpm's.

RP13

Reaction score
Think its just there for intake noise? Dang what are they thinking?
We have a 5.7 Hemi that's slower than the other 2 makes,yea let's quiet down the intake and restrict it even more!

I'm pissed because I have gotten outran by a chevy an a Ford 5.0L and even worse to a 3.5 ecoboost that's at our hunting camp..

They all like the interior but RAM screwed us on power this year!

That is what the g8 is for lol. I just want basic mods on the RAM, also just dropped n AEM dry filter and took out the charcoal filter.
Wish i could swing the mopar air intake but its just so expensive.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^ love to swing a pro charger kit. And techs not be able to see it when warranty work comes around lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
MrHank is correct, it’s a emissions charcoal filter to trap oil droplets from vapors that may escape from crankcase when engine is off. Mine has disappeared for some reason. :unsure:
Hence, why all aftermarket intakes are not Cali compliant.

Stupid CARB and all their rules. Luckily you don't have to do your first smog test in Cali until the vehicle reaches 8 yrs. old, after that it's every other year. I'll have a non-CARB intake and just switch it out before my test or I trade/sell it.

Orion10182011

Reaction score
OP are you asking about the white filter above the normal filter? If so it's a charcoal filter to absorb fuel fumes after the engine is stopped. I took mine out. Made zero difference but was a stupid emissions crap anyway.

stugotz

Reaction score
Hey guys just was wondering if anyone has removed the filter above the main filter that's in the intake lid? Thinking about taking mine out to gain a little more airflow.
Was thinking the same on my 2020. Did you ever do it

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read through this whole thread. I think the best way to get max airflow if you’re really performance oriented is remove the cats, resonators and oem muffler. Do a 3” custom exhaust with a true X pipe and duals to the back. Install a CAI and get a transmission and drivetrain tune.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Read through this whole thread. I think the best way to get max airflow if you’re really performance oriented is remove the cats, resonators and oem muffler. Do a 4” custom exhaust with a true X pipe and duals to the back. Install a CAI and get a transmission and drivetrain tune.
4" dual is way to large for a stock motor and can actually hurt flow.

rudy j

Reaction score
I HAVE A 2019 5.7 CLASSIC. I installed a 3 in flex hose to the air box coming from the back of the grill area More air does'nt hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/