5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone removed the Filter that's in the intake lid?

1Raider

Reaction score
Hey guys just was wondering if anyone has removed the filter above the main filter that's in the intake lid? Thinking about taking mine out to gain a little more airflow.

1Raider

Reaction score
Think its just there for intake noise? Dang what are they thinking?
We have a 5.7 Hemi that's slower than the other 2 makes,yea let's quiet down the intake and restrict it even more!

I'm pissed because I have gotten outran by a chevy an a Ford 5.0L and even worse to a 3.5 ecoboost that's at our hunting camp..

They all like the interior but RAM screwed us on power this year!

Last edited:

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
We have a 5.7 Hemi that's slower than the other 2 makes,yea let's quiet down the intake and restrict it even more!

I'm pissed because I have gotten outran by a chevy an a Ford 5.0L and even worse to a 3.5 ecoboost that's at our hunting camp..

Not for noise, it's an emmisions thing. It's a carbon filter that prevents fumes from escaping through the intake. Obviously not an issue with a truck that's on and sucking air, I think it's for when you shut the truck off.

Can't remember if I read that here or saw it in a video.

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
So what happens when we throw it in the trash? I mean what happens to the truck, perfomance and fuel -wise.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You're probably the heaviest of the 3 and I don't mind losing a drag race if my truck is the better truck overall.

runamuck

Reaction score
I'm leaving mine in place. The fact you got beat had nothing to do with a shortage of air intake availability.

They may be able to 0-60 a tad quicker, but I'm the one riding in style.

I traded a 2017 sierra 1500 4x4 SLT ccsb with 3.42 gears and 5.3 motor for my 2019 laramie 4x4 ccsb with 5.7 and 3.92 rear end and it seems quite a bit quicker to me. I can see how the gm 6.2 might be quicker but that wouldnt be my choice of motor for how I plan to use my new truck.

tdeperte

Reaction score
The filter is there for a reason. Removing it is not going to make your truck faster, louder, or cooler looking. It amazes me when someone spends this amount of money on one of the most luxurious trucks on the market right now and wants to start removing things to make the truck inconsequentially faster.

Don't take this the wrong way. It's your truck remove what you want. But seriously. Why?

Phoon

Reaction score
I removed mine and would say it made little to no difference to the performance or sound. It does have carbon in it so it makes sense that it is for emissions. I was hoping for more intake noise but it isn't noticeable.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fact that it had carbon deposits so early on is interesting. Could there eventually be enough build up to restrict air intake? Could removal be a proactive move to save potential future issues?

Aaaaand, discuss...

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just seems that there's a failure to communicate here.

It's made with carbon, so, yeah, "it's early"...as in "from the beginning". The carbon is there on purpose, it's not a maintenance issue. If it were there from driving, I'd hate to think what the air was doing to your lungs.

Users who are viewing this thread