5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone making the switch from and F-150 to a Ram Limited?

Mrjayd

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-150 Platinum and thinking of making the switch. One thing I noticed is that Ram advertises the biggest cab in its class but after seeing a limited in person the F-150 has a lot more room in the back. Seems like the F-150 has 2 or 3 more inches of leg room when the front seats are all the way back. And I’m not a big fan of the floor mats. Seems more like a work truck than with fully carpeted mats. All in all I really like the Ram but just feels like I am sitting in a big mid size truck compared to my Platinum.

BGRAM

Reaction score
I made the switch from Ford to Ram long ago, wont ever go back! With that being said, the 2019 Ram 1500 has a bigger cab than the F150, also the Mopar all weather mats that can come with some trucks have better fitment than Weathertechs. (The Limited's come with all weather mats, they have the carpet inserts which you can remove very easily to make them full rubber/all weather) Recently at the Auto Show I went back to back between an F150 Platinum and the 1500 Limited and in my opinion, along with my wife and a couple friends that were with us, the Ram Limited blows the F150 completely out of the water with interior quality and fit and finish. I strongly suggest you take another look at an educated Ram dealer before making the mistake of buying another F150! :)

Mrjayd

Reaction score
Well like I said I sat in both and I definitely have more leg room in the back of the F-150. And I really don’t care about all weather mats as I live in San Diego and I would rather have all carpeted mats. Looks more like a luxury vehicle than a work truck. That being said I like the Ram for most everything else.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
"A lot more room" just does not sound like an accurate statement at all. According to all research, the new Rams have nearly 2' more room than the supercrew ford. "...[T]he 2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab’s 45.2 inches of rear legroom (up from 40.3 in the outgoing model) bests not only the new Chevrolet Silverado’s 43.8 inches and the Ford F-150 SuperCrew’s 43.6 inches, but just about everything else on the market, too. Compare it to luxury sedans and it’s not even close. A Lincoln Continental? 41.3 inches. A Mercedes-Benz S560? 43.0 inches. The BMW 760Li is getting there at 44.4 inches, but to best the Ram 1500’s rear real estate you’re well into the ultra-luxury category. And we mean ultra: You’d have to jump past the Bentley Mulsanne (42.9 inches) to the Mulsanne Extended Wheelbase (52.8 inches) to surpass it. Ditto the Rolls-Royce Ghost and the Ghost Extended Wheelbase. Not even big, luxe SUVs do better. The cush Lincoln Navigator has a mere 41.1 inches in the second row, and a Bentayga just 40.9 inches. The only competition here? The Range Rover Long Wheelbase, which gets you 47.5 inches but starts at just a hair under $110K."

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/trucks...e-rear-legroom-bentley-mulsanne#ixzz5e6wffi6x

Old Ray

Reaction score
I traded a 2018 f150 Lariat sport (that I had traded for a 2018 f150 Limited) (yes 2018) for my 2019 Ram Limited (yes, I should be committed, as my gown children strongly suggest).
You must intend to drive from the back seat or you have to carry a basketball team around. There is enough room in the back seat of either truck to have a dance and I don't see why it's that important. The 2019 Rams are be sold / advertised as a luxury vehicle especially the Limited, if that is too fancy for you, then look at a plain jane model (big boulder hauler).

The Limited air suspension rides better smother nicer then any pickup I have ever had (and that's too many). Really like that part, I find the big screen distracting (I'm old)
and other then the misnamed tow package it's a great truck.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
Looks more like a luxury vehicle than a work truck.

The 2019 Rams are be sold / advertised as a luxury vehicle especially the Limited, if that is too fancy for you, then look at a plain jane model (big boulder hauler).

Yeah I'm confused by this entire post. Wants to switch from a Ford Platinum (luxury truck) to a Ram Limited (luxury truck) but says the Ram "Looks more like a luxury vehicle than a work truck." as if luxury isn't what he's looking for? :unsure: Maybe the OP can clear that up. Also, the whole rear-leg room discussion really has me scratching my head. Even if the Ford had more leg room (which it does not) it would be minor (but still doesn't have more room) as the Ram has more than enough room to make even the tallest and biggest of us comfortable back there and certainly wouldn't prevent anyone buying the truck from claiming there's not enough room back there. And the carpet....not even going there. Keep your Platinum. You sound happy with it.

Last edited:

Stasek

Reaction score
I have a 2016 F-150 Platinum and thinking of making the switch. One thing I noticed is that Ram advertises the biggest cab in its class but after seeing a limited in person the F-150 has a lot more room in the back. Seems like the F-150 has 2 or 3 more inches of leg room when the front seats are all the way back. And I’m not a big fan of the floor mats. Seems more like a work truck than with fully carpeted mats. All in all I really like the Ram but just feels like I am sitting in a big mid size truck compared to my Platinum.
Do you drive with the front seats all the way back? If no, than the only way to truly compare is to set the front seat in your driving position and then do the measurements. For all we know, the Ram’s seat slides back further than the F150s.

Lize

Reaction score
I had a 2014 Raptor and I thought the inside of the Limited was much more spacious.
Suspect @Stasek has the answer in that the front seat position is different.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded a 2018 f150 Lariat sport (that I had traded for a 2018 f150 Limited) (yes 2018) for my 2019 Ram Limited (yes, I should be committed, as my gown children strongly suggest).
You must intend to drive from the back seat or you have to carry a basketball team around. There is enough room in the back seat of either truck to have a dance and I don't see why it's that important. The 2019 Rams are be sold / advertised as a luxury vehicle especially the Limited, if that is too fancy for you, then look at a plain jane model (big boulder hauler).

The Limited air suspension rides better smother nicer then any pickup I have ever had (and that's too many). Really like that part, I find the big screen distracting (I'm old)
and other then the misnamed tow package it's a great truck.

I am "old", probably as they say "older than dirt", and I agree with your comment about the 12 inch screen being distracting. I liked it when I first saw it, both thought it was distracting. But after owning a Limited for a while now, what I noticed is that I usually have the 12 inch screen split in two 90% of the time, and that makes it seems like a normal smaller single screen. I really like the split screen feature, I usually have the navigation feature on one half and music set up on the other. And the best part is when you want to get more serious about navigating, nothing beats having it display on the full 12 inch screen.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I'm confused by this entire post. Wants to switch from a Ford Platinum (luxury truck) to a Ram Limited (luxury truck) but says the Ram "Looks more like a luxury vehicle than a work truck." as if luxury isn't what he's looking for? :unsure: Maybe the OP can clear that up. Also, the whole rear-leg room discussion really has me scratching my head. Even if the Ford had more leg room (which it does not) it would be minor (but still doesn't have more room) as the Ram has more than enough room to make even the tallest and biggest of us comfortable back there and certainly wouldn't prevent anyone buying the truck from claiming there's not enough room back there. And the carpet....not even going there. Keep your Platinum. You sound happy with it.
Agree, kinda confusing. Lookin for us to talk a Ford guy into a Ram? I really like Ford and have nothing against them, have owned several, but I will say I looked at both before purchasing my ‘19 Longhorn and there is no way the F-150 back seat has more room or my tape measure is broken.:unsure:o_O

Last edited:

davidn0021

Reaction score
Yeah I'm also confused. Coming from a MB GLE and BMW X5, I can say my RAM Limited rides just as nice as the BMW and definitely nicer than the MB. It also has way more space than both SUVs.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I traded a 2016 F150 crew platinum for my ram. The Ford was a great truck but after driving a new Limited Ram, i was sold. The interior is nicer and i think more comfortable. As far as the back seat, my 6'7" 270 Ib grandson rode back there and commented about the good leg room back there.

Mrjayd

Reaction score

My bad, I meant the other way around. I meant that the floor looks more like a work truck than a luxury truck. And yes I love my F-150 but I am an interior person and I like the Ram interior so much better but I was just asking a simple question about the advertised specs on the room on the inside. Most likely going to get a limited but I was just stating that I sat in the back of both my F-150 and the limited side by side with the front seats all the way back and I had a couple more inches from my knees to the back of the front seat. Not a deal breaker in no way just wondering how they can say the Ram has the biggest cab in its class.

ium33

Reaction score
I traded my 2018 F150 Platinum v8 for the 19 Ram. I still miss the square look of the Ford a little, but that's it. I had nothing but complaints about the 10 speed transmission.

Back to your question. I'm certain the back seat in the Ram **feels** bigger to me. Maybe it's the reviews saying it is bigger but I know it feels bigger. I have twin 5 year olds and my test is "do they kick the back of my seat?".

I've never measured with the front seats all the way back. I have checked it from my standard driving position and the Ram was bigger.

Did you have the rear seats in the Ram reclined by accident while not reclining the rear seats in the Ford?

jeffmc306

Reaction score
Is it possible the RAM front seats go further back than the Ford’s? That would make a difference. Like the other poster’s mentioned, RAM added 4 inches to the cab. I found the back seats very spacious with the front seats in the normal driving position.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
I went from a 2016 F150 Supercrew XLT FX4 with the 2.7 ecoboost to the Ram without hesitation. I never buy the high end trim levels but the fit and finish, ride quality and value of Ram won me over. Both of my kids are now in the military so I no longer need a crew cab. Went from XLT to Lonestar lol. Nothing like going from a Platinum trim level but I am 100% satisfied.

Farmin

Reaction score
Just traded from a Chevy to a Ram, spent a lot of time in all the different models from all the manufacturers. Hands down the Ram has by far the biggest crew cab. You didn’t happen to compare to a quad cab? It’s quite a bit less than a crew and I’m not sure you can even get it in a limited but that’s the only way I can see that the area could even be thought of as being smaller or shorter in distance other than as someone else asked if the rear seats were reclined while the fronts were set back.

Johnvan

Reaction score
A big part of why I bought the ram was because of the backseats. It's a family road trip vehicle and my teenagers would have complained endlessly if it was uncomfortable since we were trading a luxury Suv.
I sat in the back of an F150 and found the seats not as nice as the RAM. The other huge differentiator is the ability to recline the RAM seats. It's only a few inches but it makes a big difference.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I drove Ford trucks for years, just traded my last F-150 Supercrew for the new LongHorn. We take my parents with us a lot of places, my wife and mother sit in the back and both say the RAM has more room (I keep driver seat way back) and for sure more comfortable seats and both like the reclining feature. I went to my Ford dealer and looked at a new King Ranch before buying the RAM, even though I've always bled Ford Blue I had to make the change. Ride/Drive pretty much everything about the RAM was nicer. Lot of stuff is personal preference, I think the mats with removable carpet are great for function and looks. My father in law is a big Mopar guy, has great luck with his Ram and Dodge products so that helped a little in my decision to make the move also.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too came from a 2016 Platinum with the 3.5TT which was a good truck overall, but I had issues with the IWE and an audio issue where the stereo would refuse to play. It was never fixed over 2 1/2 years. I do miss the sweet turbo boost and the keypad number entry, but that's about it. I actually like the stop/start e-Torque on my truck and the interior is night and day from the F150. Overall I continue to be very satisfied with my truck, but still like Fords too.

Users who are viewing this thread