5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone make a turbo for the 3.6 1500?

Lgent

Reaction score
Hey so just curious, does anyone make a turbo for the v6 1500 yet? I’ve seen a few for the Hemis, but that’s it. More just curious if the thing even exists honestly.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey so just curious, does anyone make a turbo for the v6 1500 yet? I’ve seen a few for the Hemis, but that’s it. More just curious if the thing even exists honestly.

I seem to recall that the ability to handle forced induction was one of the big selling points of the Pentastar when it was in early stages, but I don't know if anyone actually followed through. I'd think that low rotating mass could make for some pretty quick acceleration.

It looks like FCA is heading instead toward the inline six Hurricane for the future. Must be cheaper.

Lgent

Reaction score
I seem to recall that the ability to handle forced induction was one of the big selling points of the Pentastar when it was in early stages, but I don't know if anyone actually followed through. I'd think that low rotating mass could make for some pretty quick acceleration.

It looks like FCA is heading instead toward the inline six Hurricane for the future. Must be cheaper.

I mean it would make sense that someone would have come out with a design to fit turbo for this truck, they do have them for this engine on other vehicles.

You’re right though, it would be a quick little thing for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting a turbo is the easy part (thanks China!)
Getting a good turbo is also pretty easy.

Doing the fab required on the exhaust and intake is probably hard, e.g. no pre-built headers or pipes for the Ram. Closest option might be the kits for the Jeep folks, but they don't have the best press.

Then getting someone to write a custom tune for a turbo'd 3.6... good luck.

Such a project might make sense if your if you were an expert welder AND technically proficient enough to write your own tunes.

Edit: Did more looking out of curiosity. Looks like On3 had a kit for Jeeps. They are reputable and helpful in a few circles. If anyone might know what it would take, maybe give them a call>

Lgent

Reaction score
Getting a turbo is the easy part (thanks China!)
Getting a good turbo is also pretty easy.

Doing the fab required on the exhaust and intake is probably hard, e.g. no pre-built headers or pipes for the Ram. Closest option might be the kits for the Jeep folks, but they don't have the best press.

Then getting someone to write a custom tune for a turbo'd 3.6... good luck.

Such a project might make sense if your if you were an expert welder AND technically proficient enough to write your own tunes.

Edit: Did more looking out of curiosity. Looks like On3 had a kit for Jeeps. They are reputable and helpful in a few circles. If anyone might know what it would take, maybe give them a call>

Yeah I’m definitely neither an expert in welding or tuning. I’m dreaming I guess haha but I wish someone had a kit for it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think On3 might be your best bet... or at least they'd have a good idea of how attainable your dream might be.

Lgent

Reaction score
I think On3 might be your best bet... or at least they'd have a good idea of how attainable your dream might be.

They do have a few things going on for sure. Oh well though as stated earlier, seems like it’s a lot of specialized work at the moment, not an easy upgrade. Thanks for weighing in on this though.

I guess we will just have to see what happens with the 2025 with the hurricane. That thing could potentially be awesome!

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the Hurricane will definitely be the best turbo-six option out there for half tons based on what we know so far.
I'm waiting to learn more about the cooling array, but we know at least twin air-to-water intercoolers, which is phenomenal. Turbos bolted to the head (no manifolds) is ideal. 3.0L seems to be perfect displacement to compliment the Hemi and preclude the need for other gas engine options.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the Hurricane will definitely be the best turbo-six option out there for half tons based on what we know so far.
I'm waiting to learn more about the cooling array, but we know at least twin air-to-water intercoolers, which is phenomenal. Turbos bolted to the head (no manifolds) is ideal.
Do you think they'll have trouble with the turbos cracking? 🤪 Sorry I couldn't stifle that thought, just my sense of humor/irony I guess.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be honest I dont have much faith in any clean sheet engine design, turbo, gas, EV or otherwise. Yet another reason I lament the possible demise of the Hemi. But the fundamentals are there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/