5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have similar issue with 2022 RAM V8 HEMI eTorque surging when coming to a stop?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine does not act like that, so i dont think its normal
I can reproduce what they are saying in my truck if you do exactly as they say and pay attention to it. It's an non issue, maybe get someone to tune their PCMs and TCMs to function differently for them.
I know of alot of trucks that do it so you may be right. I know my dealer has no choice but to call it "normal", else they would open a star case with Ram. All I can say is that when someone asks me how I like the eTorque, I always tell them "let's take a drive and you decide". They come away unimpressed.

Like I said earlier, I had eTorque in my 2019. It didn't act like my 2022. But I think they were able to squeeze 1 more mpg/city out of it by changing how it operates.
I haven't done it yet..... but I wonder what the data shows in the pcm and tcm. Is the trans actually in gear when you think it's not. There were alot of complaints of driveline clunks form P to D and P to R esp on cold starts, a simple tcm setting can fix that

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can reproduce what they are saying in my truck if you do exactly as they say and pay attention to it. It's an non issue, maybe get someone to tune their PCMs and TCMs to function differently for them.

I haven't done it yet..... but I wonder what the data shows in the pcm and tcm. Is the trans actually in gear when you think it's not. There were alot of complaints of driveline clunks form P to D and P to R esp on cold starts, a simple tcm setting can fix that
well ill try it again tomorow to see, ill post back after .

Bavet

Reaction score

We pull a camper which means I have to align my hitch to the tongue of the camper. If I go too far back and have to shift back to D to pull forward, I cannot feather the brakes to slightly move ahead. I'm talking 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch of movement necessary to align. By the time the truck moves, I'm halfway off the brake and the truck moves ahead with an abrupt jerk and I've already moved several inches before i can get back on the brake to stop. The only way I can accomplish this alignment and be able to feather the brakes for slight movement is to turn Tow/Haul mode ON, then all my troubles go away.

I don't put max pressure on the brakes to hold the truck on an incline. I think we all know how much brake to apply in conjunction with engine idle to hold our trucks on an incline without mashing the brakes to the floor. I've had inclines where idle alone will hold it there if I was bold enough to try it for any amount of time. They are all not the same, but I have some I stop on frequently and I've actually had my truck roll backwards unexpectedly because Idle was not helping to hold it there. The only way that can happen is if the driveline is not connected to the engine when I come to the stop. You can blame it on my driving habits but I've never had another vehicle act this way, including my 2019 eTorque Bighorn, and I drive them all the same way.

Twice, during a flat ground stop, I've taken my foot completely off the brake pedal and the truck did not move for a couple seconds. It eventually felt like it fell into gear and I was able to proceed.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We would love to offer some solutions! Please know that there are three TSB's that apply to this concern that you can take to your dealership that can aid in diagnosis and repair.
TSBs: 21-034-22
TSB: 18-160-22
TSB: 08-093-22 REV.B

If you need any further assistance with this, please feel free to reach out to us via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares

Dons17

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We would love to offer some solutions! Please know that there are three TSB's that apply to this concern that you can take to your dealership that can aid in diagnosis and repair.
TSBs: 21-034-22
TSB: 18-160-22
TSB: 08-093-22 REV.B

If you need any further assistance with this, please feel free to reach out to us via direct messaging.

Callie
Ram Cares
Hey Callie from Ram Cares,
I have been experiencing many if not all of the same issues reported in this thread on a Ram Laramie I purchased back in Oct 22 with 3 miles on it. Before I hit the 300 mile mark and check engine light on (code P219A), Dodge dealership swapped the injectors and replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Before this, my truck would chug and tug so loudly that if I was on the phone, the caller could hear the clunk. On two occasions coming out of park, once forward and once reverse, it lunged violently so that the bumpers were damaged. I took it to a different Dodge dealer for a 2nd opinion because Stellantis would not allow for an independent analysis from a trusted transmission mechanic while under warranty. The 2nd Dodge dealer warmed the vehicle up and drove it for a total of 5 miles and reported no issues with shifting. I will admit that the shifting has improved since the new O2 sensor and many times shifts ok within the first 5 miles of my commute. Problems start to arise thereafter, particularly in lower gears when downshifting to a creep. Often while creeping, it will be stuck at 1500 rpms upwards of 2000 rpms with my foot off the accelerator. From there, the rpms will lunge quickly to an additional 500 rpms and then immediately clunk back down to about 1000 rpms. Sometimes, I can drive around my block with my foot completely off the accelerator while rpms rev hover between 1500 and 2000. Eventually, Stellantis would offer me a $3000 compensation sum telling me, it was for all my trouble. I asked for a complete report on the diagnostics they ran on my truck while warming it up and driving it for 5 miles but was denied access to it because of proprietary reasons. They would also tell me that it would have to get worse or the check engine light would have to come back on before they could do anything about it. Lastly, they told that's how my truck is supposed to perform. Well, I have 2003 Suburban with 323K miles on it and it shifts markedly better than my Ram 2022 with 15K miles on it. For the record, I told them to keep the $3K. Not sure if this qualifies under lemon law protection but from the sounds of this forum and my experience, it was a lemon as soon as I drove it of the lot in my opinion.

Brandon99

Reaction score
I'm in almost the exact same boat as the gentlemen above me. I bought a '22 1500 Laramie, V8 Hemi, no Etorque, and have the same issues described by many of you above. I bought mine represented as new with no miles by the dealership, until I traveled a few hours to test-drive it and then found it had 717 miles on it. The salesman told me they didn't realize it was there until that day when they had taken it to wash it, and that he looked into it and it was one they bought from another dealership and it was driven to them (I feel like you would usually use an auto-hauler to transport, not put a quick 700+ miles on it?).

I spent the first 5 months dealing with the issues but convincing myself that it just drove different than my last pickup and I needed to get used to it until finally in late April the salesman called me and asked how it was driving, I explained to him the lurching issues, and he said sometimes they just need to take them in and reset the transmission so it can "re-learn your driving habits." I scheduled the appt. in early June, and I've now had it in the shop 4-5 different times for transmission diagnosis and repair, with the transmission ultimately getting replaced in December of 23. After each reset, repair, transmission part replacement, the truck would drive and shift exactly like you would expect a $60,000 vehicle to: smooth, and like it's an automatic. Then like clockwork, the issues would always creep back up within a day or two, and it feels like I'm driving a stick-shift vehicle around the city.

I am not mechanically inclined at all, so it took me a bit to actually nail down what was happening and get to a point where I could replicate it. My issues have largely consisted of the following:

1.) Start the truck, then a few seconds later shift from park to drive, then start to let off the brake, the truck will lunge forward. If it doesn't lunge right away, I start to give it a little gas, then let off the pedal, and the RPM's continue to climb and it picks up speed like I'm still on the pedal (even thoguh my foot is completely removed) until you feel it shift into 2nd gear. Once it shifts, it lurches forward then slows down in rapid succession. The transmission technician told me something about the engine brake engaging in lower gear, then when it shifts, the brake lets off. The problem is, that seems backwards. If the engine brake is on, why is my truck going faster and RPMS speeding up when I'm not even on the gas? It would seem it should be doing the opposite?

2.) When decelerating towards a stop sign/stop light/slower traffic - I've had multiple issues:
A.) If I get down to almost a stop and I've been lightly applying the brakes to gradually slow, it will lunge forward quickly before stopping. I came close to rear-ending a few different people because it wouldn't always do it consistently, so it would usually catch me by surprise.
B.) For the other, let's say I'm traveling 30 mph and see traffic stopped a bit ahead. I'll let off the gas and may never have to touch the brakes, letting friction on the road naturally slow me. The engine goes to the 4cylinder "ECO" mode and the green ECO light pops on. Now, if I get down to anywhere between 11-15 mph and traffic in front of me starts to speed up because the light went green, I go to press the accelerator, I hear a clunking and feel a jerk back and forth, then it speeds up and pulls forward consistently, going back to smoother operation. The transmission technician told me this can happen with the new ECO mode in some trucks, and said I must not have had one before. My previous truck was a 2018 Silverado that had the same function, and I never once had the issue.

I've also had a couple instances where I put I shift from driver to reverse while maneuvering around and, after shifting to reverse, I'll start to ease into the accelerator and the truck will actually lunge forward quickly and I have to slam on my brakes.

Short of the software fix for the E-torques, has anyone had success seeing these issues resolved? The lunging forward can be a major liability and will eventually cause some property damage or significant bodily injury, if it hasn't already.

**I'm also on my third radio because we cant seem to get one that wants to maintain the bluetooth connectivity consistently, and will just randomly disconnect in various places on highways and interstates, then re-connect itself. Sometimes it does it once a trip, sometimes it will do it two to three times right in a row out on an open interstate.

Users who are viewing this thread