5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have similar issue with 2022 RAM V8 HEMI eTorque surging when coming to a stop?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am having this issue it seems when engine is cold versus hot that I will pull up to stop sign and have soft braking and my engine will all of sudden have a little rpm surge and because i don't have full brake on, it lurches truck forward. I don't seem to notice this when engine is fully warmed up but I am going to start monitoring this closer, but would appreciate if anyone else has experienced this letting me know. I had one experience right outside where I work where i drifted into a stop sign before a three lane street and because I didn't have full brake on, it all of sudden lurched me forward out into the beginning of 1st lane and thx god no one was in that lane or it would of been ugly. That was only time I can remember having a little more speed before I got to stop sign and the lurching was much stronger, normally its a small jump in RPM's that I notice. Appreciate any insight!
Hey there,

We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Bavet

Reaction score
Could you expand upon what you mean it disengages the drivetrain when stopped with start\stop turned off?
You also said putting it into tow\haul mode makes it NOT do this?
So let me try to explain this. BTW it's not a GT thing. I mis-spoke earlier. My son has a 22 Rebel with dial shifter and it acts the same way.

When I shift from P to D, every vehicle I've ever owned makes the shift to Drive and I can feel the vehicle drop into gear and the drivetrain is connected to the motor. As I release the brake pedal, every vehicle I've ever owned begins to move and moves faster the more I release my foot off the brake pedal. Full release of the brake pedal allows the vehicle to move as fast as idle allows.

With this Ram truck, I shift from P to D and I do not feel the transmission drop into gear. When I start to release the brake pedal, the truck does not move until I'm half way off the brake. When I'm half way off the brake, the transmission suddenly drops into gear and begins moving. It's a jarring event sometimes. So now I have to press the brake pedal back in to gain control of the speed of the truck at idle. This happens whether I shift from P to D, P to R, D to R, or R to D. So this makes backing out of tight parking spaces very difficult. I can't creep.

If I turn on Tow/Haul mode before I make a shift from P to D, when I make that shift I can feel the transmission drop into gear every single time. I can now feather my brake pedal to control how much speed I want my truck to move at idle. I can creep. If I shift from P to D before I turn on Tow/Haul mode, I can feel the transmission drop into gear immediately after that button is pushed.

So now to answer your question. We all know that eTorque shuts off the engine before the truck comes to a complete stop. It coasts to a stop. How does this truck coast with an engine that is not running? Somewhere the drivetrain has to be disconnected from the engine, right? So when I'm at a stop with the Start/Stop turned off, the truck will not move again until I'm half way off the brake pedal and the transmission drops back into gear. When I say "drop into gear", it is an event that I can feel. On at least two occasions, I was completely off the brake pedal and the truck took a couple seconds for it to drop into gear and move. The transmission is in Drive this whole time.

When I turn on Tow/Haul mode, none of the things I just described happens. The truck stays in gear at all stops. I can feather the brake pedal to creep closer to the car in front of me if i choose. I feel in control. It acts like every other vehicle I've ever owned.

Of course if I'm in full eTorque mode, the eTorque does not start the engine and launch the truck until my foot is half way off the brake pedal either. So brake pedal position is a key factor to all of this, IMO.

This is my second eTorque Ram. I had a 2019 Bighorn. I generally liked the eTorque on that truck. It did none of the things I just described. I wanted it on my new truck. But Ram tweaked it to get one more MPG for 2022 models. Now I don't like it and I can no longer recommend a truck with eTorque to anyone, sorry to say. My dealer has updated all software.

Sorry my response is so long. It's the only way I can describe it.

Last edited:

Bavet

Reaction score
Disabling auto stop start, or engaging tow haul doesn’t disable etorque.
In my experience, I agree that disabling Stop/Start doesn't disable eTorque , but I disagree that Tow/Haul mode doesn't. It certainly disables it in my truck.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Bavet
I am going to do some testing with my truck and see if it's the same as you say.

I do notice some weird lag when coming to rolling stops where my truck will not accept my input from the accelerator for a few moments, I wonder if that is what you are describing.
I don't THINK I have the same thing when going from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse, unless it's a cold start and then my truck wants to fly in either direction, if I let it run for a few minutes or was driving it seems fine but ill test it with and without tow\haul turned on.

Bavet

Reaction score
@Bavet
I am going to do some testing with my truck and see if it's the same as you say.

I do notice some weird lag when coming to rolling stops where my truck will not accept my input from the accelerator for a few moments, I wonder if that is what you are describing.
I don't THINK I have the same thing when going from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse, unless it's a cold start and then my truck wants to fly in either direction, if I let it run for a few minutes or was driving it seems fine but ill test it with and without tow\haul turned on.
That weird lag you describe is also a problem in my truck. It was also a problem in my 2019. Rolling stops or quick stops are almost impossible.

Funny you mentioned cold. My truck exhibits none of the symptoms I described when its cold, like first start in the morning cold. Only in the fall, winter, spring. Rarely in the summer. Weird, huh?!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That weird lag you describe is also a problem in my truck. It was also a problem in my 2019. Rolling stops or quick stops are almost impossible.

Funny you mentioned cold. My truck exhibits none of the symptoms I described when its cold, like first start in the morning cold. Only in the fall, winter, spring. Rarely in the summer. Weird, huh?!
"Cold" might not be the correct term.

In the Winter when the oils are sitting 20-40 degrees from a cold start it's acts really weird unless I let it "warm up" for 1-2 minutes. The oil temps will still be below 60 degrees but it will drive fine.
In the summer when the oils are 60+ degrees from a "cold start" it is really bad for the first 2 minutes even though in the winter at those temps it's fine (after it sits)
When I pull out of my driveway 90 degrees onto a 40mph road my truck shifts really really bad jerking me forward and back, I need to like slam on the gas or else it will not move.

The problem with rolling stops happens 100% of the time, it almost feels like the peddle doesn't think I really want to go and it stops the signal from being transmitted as if I don't move my foot at all the truck will fly at the same throttle position, moving it more or less doesn't change it.
I even have a custom tune, and a Sprint Booster and NEITHER helped it. I also use an SRT filter with great quality full syn oil.
I'm not sure if I tried tow\haul mode, I did gear selector mode, and I have MDS disabled with my tune, I also don't use start\stop.

It also happens not on rolling stops. I can go to the end of the road and stop for 5-10 seconds (with start\stop disabled) and when I hit the gas nothing will happen for a second or so so the point I need to be really careful how I pull how so I don't cause an accident as I need to hit my gas BEFORE I am safe to pull out, so by the time I am safe my truck starts to roll. I don't think it's my drive train being disconnected, but it's symptoms sound similar to what you are describing from changing gears.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How does this truck coast with an engine that is not running? Somewhere the drivetrain has to be disconnected from the engine, right?
Yup the torque converter stops rotating allowing the magic to happen.

Have you checked the transmission fluid?

Bavet

Reaction score
"Cold" might not be the correct term.

In the Winter when the oils are sitting 20-40 degrees from a cold start it's acts really weird unless I let it "warm up" for 1-2 minutes. The oil temps will still be below 60 degrees but it will drive fine.
In the summer when the oils are 60+ degrees from a "cold start" it is really bad for the first 2 minutes even though in the winter at those temps it's fine (after it sits)
When I pull out of my driveway 90 degrees onto a 40mph road my truck shifts really really bad jerking me forward and back, I need to like slam on the gas or else it will not move.

The problem with rolling stops happens 100% of the time, it almost feels like the peddle doesn't think I really want to go and it stops the signal from being transmitted as if I don't move my foot at all the truck will fly at the same throttle position, moving it more or less doesn't change it.
I even have a custom tune, and a Sprint Booster and NEITHER helped it. I also use an SRT filter with great quality full syn oil.
I'm not sure if I tried tow\haul mode, I did gear selector mode, and I have MDS disabled with my tune, I also don't use start\stop.

It also happens not on rolling stops. I can go to the end of the road and stop for 5-10 seconds (with start\stop disabled) and when I hit the gas nothing will happen for a second or so so the point I need to be really careful how I pull how so I don't cause an accident as I need to hit my gas BEFORE I am safe to pull out, so by the time I am safe my truck starts to roll. I don't think it's my drive train being disconnected, but it's symptoms sound similar to what you are describing from changing gears.
I don't have the same problem you described after a cold start. My truck shifts fine once it is actually in gear. But everything else you described is something I have experienced. Hesitation on rolling stops is a 100% everytime event.

Bavet

Reaction score
Yup the torque converter stops rotating allowing the magic to happen.

Have you checked the transmission fluid?
I have not checked it myself. It's been in the shop on several occasions relating to this problem and they assure me it's not a transmission fluid issue. I have made it a point to ask about it. Perhaps I shouldn't be taking their word for it but I think I have a decent relationship with them and I take them at their word.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Bavet There is something about the tow\haul mode when it comes to breaking when stopped.

I did notice there is a clunking feeling when I put my truck into gear with tow haul mode enabled while keeping my foot on the brake.
If I put my truck into gear with tow haul not on there is no clunk, until I am partly done taking my food off the break completely.

I don't think this has anything to do with etorque but it is definitely really weird and could be part of the problem i'm having, but I do have the huge throttle lag even when it doesn't feel like it's "clunking into gear" on rolling or complete stops.

So far the way I can produce the "problem" is be parked.
Change from P to drive and wait 10 seconds. Then gently and slowly take your foot off the break and "feel" the clunk.
Put the truck back in park.
This time turn on tow\haul mode then change from P to drive and you will feel the clunk while your foot is still on the brake.

The clunk itself is more of a feeling, I don't feel my truck lunging forward, but definitely more forward then without the clunk

Ill need to do some testing to get a better idea of when it happens, I have no idea what it is. There is no sound just a vibration and the best I could describe it is as a clunk.
My clunk is generally quick enough I don't notice it when parking.

Bavet

Reaction score
@Bavet There is something about the tow\haul mode when it comes to breaking when stopped.

I did notice there is a clunking feeling when I put my truck into gear with tow haul mode enabled while keeping my foot on the brake.
If I put my truck into gear with tow haul not on there is no clunk, until I am partly done taking my food off the break completely.

I don't think this has anything to do with etorque but it is definitely really weird and could be part of the problem i'm having, but I do have the huge throttle lag even when it doesn't feel like it's "clunking into gear" on rolling or complete stops.

So far the way I can produce the "problem" is be parked.
Change from P to drive and wait 10 seconds. Then gently and slowly take your foot off the break and "feel" the clunk.
Put the truck back in park.
This time turn on tow\haul mode then change from P to drive and you will feel the clunk while your foot is still on the brake.

The clunk itself is more of a feeling, I don't feel my truck lunging forward, but definitely more forward then without the clunk

Ill need to do some testing to get a better idea of when it happens, I have no idea what it is. There is no sound just a vibration and the best I could describe it is as a clunk.
My clunk is generally quick enough I don't notice it when parking.
You are describing my "problem" when going from P to D exactly. The clunk you feel is the transmission dropping into gear. It's supposed to do that while your foot is on the brake and you shift from P to D. That's completely normal. That's what I feel with Tow/Haul Mode ON and you feel as well. This is how I want my truck to shift out of Park.

You are also describing that with Tow/Haul Mode OFF, your truck does not drop into gear until you are "partly done taking my food off the break completely". That's exactly what I feel, but I say I don't feel it until I'm half way off the brake pedal. We are describing the same thing. This is the part I don't think is normal operating procedure and I contribute this completely to eTorque because I know people with non eTorque engines on 2022 models who do not experience this. I find this problem particularly annoying in tight spaces because the brake is partially released when the transmission drops into gear and the truck can move unexpectedly.

The problem you describe during rolling stops is also a problem that is pretty well documented on this forum.

Thanks for engaging with me. Please keep me informed of any more findings.

Jaylon35

Reaction score
Could you expand upon what you mean it disengages the drivetrain when stopped with start\stop turned off?
You also said putting it into tow\haul mode makes it NOT do this?
I will say this again....

There is a A "customer improvement campaign"....(ram recall...not government)...that fixes this quick and easy. Take it to dealership.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

There is a A "customer improvement campaign"....(ram recall...not government)...that fixes this quick and easy. Take it to dealership.
No there isn't. I called in February and the dealership nothing pertained to my 2022 and there was nothing they could do. Nice try though

Bavet

Reaction score

I had this done last summer. Yes, there was an improvement. It improved coasting to a stop in some situations like entering parking spaces. It did not fix everything. Everytime I go to the dealer I ask if there are any more updates.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this done last summer. Yes, there was an improvement. It improved coasting to a stop in some situations like entering parking spaces. It did not fix everything. Everytime I go to the dealer I ask if there are any more updates.
Could it be that you have a bad Brake Pedal Travel Sensor?

Bavet

Reaction score
Could it be that you have a bad Brake Pedal Travel Sensor?
I don't know. My biggest problem is convincing the dealer that this is an issue. Actually that's not true. They understand my issue. They witness the issue. They can duplicate the issue. Their hands are tied because other trucks on their lot have the same issue and they say Ram will not do anything about it when other trucks have the same issue. They fully acknowledge that it's a new issue to 2022's and they are at the mercy of Ram engineering.

So if it's a bad brake pedal sensor, then many other trucks have a bad brake pedal sensor. I'm wondering if the sensor can be moved so the pedal has to travel less to activate.

My ultimate wish would be to have Ram engineering change the software so that when the button is pushed to turn OFF the Stop/Start function that it would disable the eTorque function completely instead of just keeping the engine running. Just like when the Tow/Haul mode is ON but without the Tow/Haul shift points.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know. My biggest problem is convincing the dealer that this is an issue. Actually that's not true. They understand my issue. They witness the issue. They can duplicate the issue. Their hands are tied because other trucks on their lot have the same issue and they say Ram will not do anything about it when other trucks have the same issue. They fully acknowledge that it's a new issue to 2022's and they are at the mercy of Ram engineering.

So if it's a bad brake pedal sensor, then many other trucks have a bad brake pedal sensor. I'm wondering if the sensor can be moved so the pedal has to travel less to activate.

My ultimate wish would be to have Ram engineering change the software so that when the button is pushed to turn OFF the Stop/Start function that it would disable the eTorque function completely instead of just keeping the engine running. Just like when the Tow/Haul mode is ON but without the Tow/Haul shift points.
Or maybe it's a normal characteristic of the 2022 trucks and not an issue at all.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every day as I approach the gate to exiting my community with a cold truck, it bucks at the stop sign as I approach and brake. It bucks right before it comes to a complete stop. I am used to it and I anticipate it and that is the only time. Once shes warmed up, never happens. Probably needs an update or flash or whatever they call it but I ain't got time to bleed.

Bavet

Reaction score
Or maybe it's a normal characteristic of the 2022 trucks and not an issue at all.
I know of alot of trucks that do it so you may be right. I know my dealer has no choice but to call it "normal", else they would open a star case with Ram. All I can say is that when someone asks me how I like the eTorque, I always tell them "let's take a drive and you decide". They come away unimpressed.

Like I said earlier, I had eTorque in my 2019. It didn't act like my 2022. But I think they were able to squeeze 1 more mpg/city out of it by changing how it operates.

Users who are viewing this thread