5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have info on 2020 tailgate replacement?

HJohnSIII

Reaction score
Had one of my suppliers damage my 2020 1500 tailgate non-multifunction. Rather then send it to a body shop to do a repair I'd rather replace the entire tailgate on my own. Anyone have any info/workshop manual on the removal and replacement of the tailgate to include the removal of the all the extra items installed on the tailgate? Found a pre-painted to match tailgate on line so that is making this much easier. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Removed mines when I installed my light bar, much easier with two people. Hope this helps. Good luck. 👍

ramhead

Reaction score
I had to do mine due to someone backing into me. Not too hard....the WORST part is getting the tailgate plastic top protector off. There are multiple catch clips that you have to undo 1 by 1 while putting something under the already loosened parts (start at one edge) to keep the clips from snapping back in. Some will say it's impossible to do but while hard it can be done as I did do it....and I did it alone. Probably much easier with a helper. But be prepared to contort your hands/fingers/pliers up inside the tailgate opening (after the panel comes off interior tailgate) to work on the clips - using a pliers/needlenose you have to press the 2 prongs of each clip together while pulling up on the protector...and then use something (I used a folded up towel) in between the protector & top of tailgate to keep separation as you move down the tailgate. Worst case is snap it off and get a new one for around $60 at dealer.

The rest is pretty straight forward - there is wiring inside held in places inside and at bottom with toothed pushed in clips, the tailgate handle has 4 Torx screws and 2 wired detachable connectors, the striker assemblies on each side are wired together and have push connectors holding wiring along the reinforcement beam inside. Bit of a pain to maneuver them around & out but not too bad. Also will have to debadge the decals or get new ones. IMO don't bother trying to get off or reuse the big Ram's head decal on back of tailgate. That's a pain too and the entire back side of it has tape/adhesive on it. Better off grabbing a new one for $40 - 50 on ebay.

Last edited:

ramhead

Reaction score
Oh, and I did it with the tailgate on the truck....tailgate down and sitting behind it on a stool craning my neck/fingers to get up into the tailgate opening & to the clips. (the middle 2 or 4 by handle mechanism/bracing are the worst due to working around all that). It can be done just don't rush it and take some breaks because your neck & fingers will need one, believe me.

Users who are viewing this thread