5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone found a good hard tri fold for 2019 ram no box short bed

Wolf

Reaction score
The Rough Country cover is is waterproof on top, but as suspected does allow water in at the edge by each joint because of the half inch gap that doesn't seal to bed rail.:cautious:

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Extang Solid Fold 2.0 leaks a little bit thru/around the first joint when the truck sits in a heavy rain. I suppose I could take it back to Line-X for a repair or replacement under warranty, but I didn't expect it to be completely water proof and it doesn't leak that much.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 44

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
I love my Lomax tri-fold. It does not leak in the front or along the sides. It will let in a bit of water at the rear corners at the tailgate. I hear that can be fixed easily enough, but it's so little I almost can't be bothered. I went with the cover that I liked most from a looks and functionality point of view ... That it is nearly waterproof is a bonus.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Lomax tri-fold. It does not leak in the front or along the sides. It will let in a bit of water at the rear corners at the tailgate. I hear that can be fixed easily enough, but it's so little I almost can't be bothered. I went with the cover that I liked most from a looks and functionality point of view ... That it is nearly waterproof is a bonus.

Is there a thread on how to fix that part? My Lomax leaks more than I want back there. I do live in Florida so the rain is always around and that doesn't help, plus my driveway is fairly sloped, so I need to find a way to fix this.

RodRow

Reaction score
As always you’re the man! Always following in your footsteps. Any chance you could take some pictures of how you did it and tell me what type of seal you bought?
Here are a couple of pics of the seal I did at the top of the tailgate. On torrential rain, I get a little water in the bed, but it’s insignificant to me. :)
E1D0E549-FE43-473D-B49C-67FC802450EC.jpeg 57F75D23-C005-4EB6-BCDA-9BEC6B009E28.jpeg 507FD1C1-D666-4885-A247-963A048E327A.jpeg

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been really happy with the Undercover Ultra Flex. I also like the flat black finish.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your rails are installed too high. You can even see it along the bed caps. Unclamp and lower them a bit so you get proper compression on the seal. When you put your new seal on, make sure you see no daylight before you clamp the rail tight. The instructions should spell this out, especially for trucks with bed caps, but don't. Seemed obvious to me, but I've had decades of experience sealing covers and toppers on my trucks. That should cure any leaking up front. I have zero whatsoever front and sides, just the two spots at the tailgate.

I just did that to mine, figured they might be too high. We will see when the next rains come, but now it’s so tight my remote tailgate won’t fully release. Ugh, I hate adjusting rails.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Rampat, most of the pictures I've seen to block off the water at the tailgate corners look similar to what RodRow posted. I've yet to try it, as I have so little water with my Lomax that it doesn't make my 'must do' list. But I'm sure I'll get to Lowes before long.

I live in Houston, pouring rain the past couple of days. I opened the tailgate today (while still raining) to see if it was still dry inside. The only water was from me opening the tailgate ... Plus that trickle from the aforementioned area; circled in yellow here.

I'm either really lucky, or the world's best first-time Lomax installer. Lord knows neither are true! Cheers, Mike M
< Edited to upload clearer picture >

Lomax_Houston-Tailgate.jpg

Last edited:

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rampat, most of the pictures I've seen to block off the water at the tailgate corners look similar to what RodRow posted. I've yet to try it, as I have so little water with my Lomax that it doesn't make my 'must do' list. But I'm sure I'll get to Lowes before long.

I live in Houston, pouring rain the past couple of days. I opened the tailgate today (while still raining) to see if it was still dry inside. The only water was from me opening the tailgate ... Plus that trickle from the aforementioned area; circled in yellow here.

I'm either really lucky, or the world's best first-time Lomax installer. Lord knows neither are true! Cheers, Mike M
< Edited to upload clearer picture >

View attachment 24838

I put the seals like he did and it readjusted the rails down to a point where my tailgate barely releases with the key fob and it’s still just as bad if not worse after a storm today.

Users who are viewing this thread