5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone found a good hard tri fold for 2019 ram no box short bed

davidn0021

Reaction score
Lomax cover leaks at the front edges and of course at the tailgate. Loaded some pictures and you can clearly see through into the bed in the corners. Contacted truck alteration who contacted lomax and there solution was to send me new rubber seals.. not to happy about ripping off rubber, trying to get it cleaned up to blew some new seals..

That sucks! I hope my cover doesn't leak, it's arriving Thursday in the midst of a downpour. Hopefully there'll be a break in between storms so I can install it to see if it does leak. Otherwise I probably should've gotten the Bak MX4...

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I’ve had 2 Undercover Flex’s on previous trucks and went with the BakFlip MX4 on this one. The reason I switched was because of the ability to close the tailgate with the cover closed and I don’t think Undercover had one yet when I bought it. I like the MX4 but the only thing I don’t like is that if you need full bed access without taking it off the MX4 leans against the CAB and has rods that are supposed to hold it in place. They are worthless and still allow for a lot of movement and I cringe at the thought of driving that way with the cover rubbing up against the cab. (They include a foam number sticker).

The Undercover has similar rods but they use a ball joint to lock the cover in a vertical position so the cover is not resting against the Cab. Much better design in my opinion. I will say the outside of the MX4 has held up much better and I prefer the texture of it to the last Undercover I had which didn’t hold up as well to the Arizona sun as the first one I had. Plus the rods are not well secured on the MX4 in their stowed position and are always out popped out of the hooks where they should be stowed.

I like the MX4 but if I were to buy a cover with what I know know I would get the Undercover Ultra Flex.

Link to the Undercover Ultra Flex just for the video.

https://tonneaucoversworld.com/p/undercover-ultra-flex-tonneau-cover/v/ram/truck-1500/2019/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodRow

Reaction score
Does your 19 ram leak at all with back mx4
It does very little, but only in very hard rains. I properly sealed the front, so it only comes in at the tailgate and I have the rubber seal on order from Amazon to remedy that. :)

geotex1

Reaction score
Lomax cover leaks at the front edges and of course at the tailgate. Loaded some pictures and you can clearly see through into the bed in the corners. Contacted truck alteration who contacted lomax and there solution was to send me new rubber seals.. not to happy about ripping off rubber, trying to get it cleaned up to blew some new seals..

Your rails are installed too high. You can even see it along the bed caps. Unclamp and lower them a bit so you get proper compression on the seal. When you put your new seal on, make sure you see no daylight before you clamp the rail tight. The instructions should spell this out, especially for trucks with bed caps, but don't. Seemed obvious to me, but I've had decades of experience sealing covers and toppers on my trucks. That should cure any leaking up front. I have zero whatsoever front and sides, just the two spots at the tailgate.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. Really nice quality and a super strong tri-fold. No brackets or rails to drill or mount. Simply sits on "top" of the bed rail and uses two J brackets up front and two spring loaded quick release brackets in the rear. Takes less than 5 minutes to install. Minimal water seepage inside but I also have a bed mat which keeps anything on it dry.

Volkster - I'm looking at covers for my new 2019 Ram Longhorn, including the Extang Solid Fold 2.0.

Are you still liking it? Does it leak much?

And how's the fit? I read a review on Amazon where a 2019 Ram owner was complaining that the cover wasn't long enough and something about the cover not following the contours of the top of the truck bed. Overall though, he liked the cover.

Any input you could provide would be appreciated, as well as any pics that you could post.

Thanks in advance.

Volkster

Reaction score
Volkster - I'm looking at covers for my new 2019 Ram Longhorn, including the Extang Solid Fold 2.0.

Are you still liking it? Does it leak much?

And how's the fit? I read a review on Amazon where a 2019 Ram owner was complaining that the cover wasn't long enough and something about the cover not following the contours of the top of the truck bed. Overall though, he liked the cover.

Any input you could provide would be appreciated, as well as any pics that you could post.

Thanks in advance.

I really do like my Solid Fold 2.0! It's my second one as I had one on my GMC previously. It fit's fine but I do agree it would be even nicer if the back section was curved like our tailgate. Maybe they kept it straight so it would still open the tailgate when you open it remotely. It does leak a little but as in my last truck, I purchased a DeeZee bet mat for $100 and use that too. Anything on it will not get wet plus it keeps anything from sliding around. The little streaks of water that leak inside just trickle under the mat along the bed ribs. I live in the great northeast so this cover is awesome for withstanding snow built up on it. It's very strong and durable. Hope this helps.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I just ordered the Under Cover ultra flex and it’s being installed Thursday. I researched a lot of them and the Undercover to me seemed like the best one. I had a Undercover soft roll-up on my Silverado and I really liked how it fit. Hope I made the right choice for the money.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really do like my Solid Fold 2.0! It's my second one as I had one on my GMC previously. It fit's fine but I do agree it would be even nicer if the back section was curved like our tailgate. Maybe they kept it straight so it would still open the tailgate when you open it remotely. It does leak a little but as in my last truck, I purchased a DeeZee bet mat for $100 and use that too. Anything on it will not get wet plus it keeps anything from sliding around. The little streaks of water that leak inside just trickle under the mat along the bed ribs. I live in the great northeast so this cover is awesome for withstanding snow built up on it. It's very strong and durable. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Volkster. That does help.

Any pics of it on your Ram that you could share?

Beaux

maddog49

Reaction score
I am happy with my diamondback with line-x. Waterproof and lockable, and is pretty functional. The biggest downside is cost but I already at that on the last truck and just moved it to the new one.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks, That’s what I’m going with. To me, the 2.0 just looks more substantial/durable than other tri fold covers. And while others tout their low profile, I like the look of the 2.0 sitting up a bit.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. Really nice quality and a super strong tri-fold. No brackets or rails to drill or mount. Simply sits on "top" of the bed rail and uses two J brackets up front and two spring loaded quick release brackets in the rear. Takes less than 5 minutes to install. Minimal water seepage inside but I also have a bed mat which keeps anything on it dry.

Got the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 installed this morning. Watched the guys at Line-X install it and it looks easy to install and take off, and seems like a solid cover. I like the fact that it sits on top of the bed, rather than sitting on rails that you install along the bed rails. So far, so good.

It was sleeting a bit here in Central Texas this morning as you can see from the pic. Much more of this stuff, and they'll be shutting down schools and business and telling everyone to stay off the roads. : )

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 107

Rjhagner

Reaction score
Anyone found a good bed cover tri fold hard cover 2019 ram no box that doesn’t leak. Had the 2.0 extang for my 16 ford and it was great.
Love the back flip! Nothing bad to say about it......keeps water out, ez to fold and remove if necessary

mhb1638

Reaction score
Brand new gator tri fold (all these covers are the same if you look at them no matter the brand). Emailed tonno world who contacted the vendor and the MF'rs told me to RTV/Sealant the cover OR my bed caps to ensure a tight bond. WTF are these morons smoking? RTV a 61K truck or a brand new $900 cover? I prompty replied asking them to put down the pipe and refund my money....in so many words.

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_070547.jpg
    IMG_20190503_070547.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 80

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It does very little, but only in very hard rains. I properly sealed the front, so it only comes in at the tailgate and I have the rubber seal on order from Amazon to remedy that. :)

Did you ever get the rubber seal installed? Did it remedy the tailgate gap issue?

Wolf

Reaction score
Hi, I ordered the Rough Country hard tri-fold for my new body 2019 Ram 1500. It was the best price($600) on an American made hard tri fold w/free shipping I could find. It looks good in pics. I did confirm with them that the cover listed for "2019 Ram 1500" for 5'5" bed, is actually for 2019 new body style 5'7" bed as is pictured on the listing. I am suppose to get it tomorrow. Sitting on top of the rails and not relying on drains should greatly reduce the chance of water getting in, I hope. I'll know soon enough and will report back.

I looked into almost all the hard tri-fold covers out there. The OEM hard tri-fold is a Bakflip MX4 without the name. So, if you're looking at the MX4 get the OEM one, it's cheaper. If you have a friend or family member that works for FCA you could get it for 25% off($710) with their help.

Most others seem to get good reviews, but push closer to a $1000 which is why I chose the Rough Country one.

RodRow

Reaction score
Did you ever get the rubber seal installed? Did it remedy the tailgate gap issue?
Yes, I only applied it to the top section of the tailgate as the seal was too tight to allow for proper closure with the seal all the way down the vertical sections. It helped tremendously!

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I only applied it to the top section of the tailgate as the seal was too tight to allow for proper closure with the seal all the way down the vertical sections. It helped tremendously!

As always you’re the man! Always following in your footsteps. Any chance you could take some pictures of how you did it and tell me what type of seal you bought?

Wolf

Reaction score
I recieved and installed my Rough Country cover yesterday. It looks good, a little rugged(tough) looking because of the raised rubber at the joints. It has triple rubber fin seal around entire cover which should do well against rain. However, each joint leaves almost a half inch gap without a seal to bed rail. I'm not sure if it will allow much water in or not as it is covered from the top. 0508191801_HDR.jpg

It is definently a universal fit top that wasn't made specifically for the 5th Gen Ram. The tie downs work well, but are less friendly that the OEM soft top I had on my last Ram. They are also don't make me feel confident they won't break in the future as they seem kinda flimsy.

0508191712_HDR.jpg 0508191713_HDR.jpg

I have to play around with fitment as I don't like it hanging over the rear edge. I'll post water results after several rain storms.

Users who are viewing this thread