5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone familiar with the "Aux Cab Heater" used on the eco-diesels?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a gas truck, but on the eco diesels, they are equipped with what is called a PTC Element, or Aux Cab Heater, which is electric and can help create heat to warm the cab quicker than the engine would normally want to heat up. Does anyone have an actual pic of one of these heaters?

Mopar part number is

68396041AA​

LouNY

Reaction score
I never found mine on my "15" eco, and I don't think I ever got any usable heat from them.
The block heater worked and got me heat much faster.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never found mine on my "15" eco, and I don't think I ever got any usable heat from them.
The block heater worked and got me heat much faster.
did a 2015 have one? I think they may have started in 19 or 20. I'm pretty sure 19+ 6.7's also get them.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2015 had it.
since you have a 2020 now, maybe you can weigh in - do you notice that it gives you immediate cabin heat? like is it a feature you enjoy, or is it something not noticeable.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks, already done that..looking for actual photo and where it nests in the hvac box itself.
That does show the assembly and orientation. Is there a specific question? I feel like you are looking to retrofit that or something.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly I never noticed it in either truck. I've read that you have to run your heater in manual and at a high temperature to trigger the heater and I dont do that, I leave my heater in auto set at 68 all year round. As to whether the electric heater supplements the coolant heat I have no idea but my trucks have always seemed to warm up within a reasonable amount of time.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That does show the assembly and orientation. Is there a specific question? I feel like you are looking to retrofit that or something.
yes I was interested in possibly retrofitting it into an older Willys I have that has no heater, I have a box I made with a traditional core, but this would just be a little neater and cleaner. also, after learning about it, thought it might be neat to add to my ram, but probably not worth it if it doesn't really make a huge difference

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yes I was interested in possibly retrofitting it into an older Willys I have that has no heater, I have a box I made with a traditional core, but this would just be a little neater and cleaner. also, after learning about it, thought it might be neat to add to my ram, but probably not worth it if it doesn't really make a huge difference
If you decide you want to pursue it, let me know and I will do some digging. I don’t want to spend the time though if you are on the fence.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gas truck, but on the eco diesels, they are equipped with what is called a PTC Element, or Aux Cab Heater, which is electric and can help create heat to warm the cab quicker than the engine would normally want to heat up. Does anyone have an actual pic of one of these heaters?

Mopar part number is

68396041AA​

This is the best pic of one I have on hand. It is of a 4th gen box, but same setup on the 5th gen. The arrow is pointing to the cabin heater. It is very small, and I circled the air duct outlet that the center console ducts plug into for size reference:
C723BDBF-3DF4-4D29-BB16-671D7B95AEB3.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks! That pic is perfect exactly what I was looking for. It’s Interesting, I want to look at my 5th gen box and see if there is any sort of marking outline where it would locate!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks! That pic is perfect exactly what I was looking for. It’s Interesting, I want to look at my 5th gen box and see if there is any sort of marking outline where it would locate!
It’s not. I just installed an entire 5th gen hvac unit in my 4th gen. The box is just reinforced ribbed throughout. Although, the brand new hvac housing for it (68396072AC) is only $80, and it comes with the evaporator.

Users who are viewing this thread