5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever install front tow hooks?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s easier to just take the AAD off, imo. Four 10mm bolts take two minutes to pull, then you have a straight shot at the bolts, and also at the bezel.

I agree. Four nuts and don't forget the electrical connector. What, ten minutes maybe? Doesn't weigh much and goes back on just as easy.

There is also no need to pry the old bezel out. Take some snips or thin dykes, and cut the two nubs above the metal tab and then punch them out through the front with your dykes after you remove the top bolts.

I didn't have any trouble getting the old blanks out. Once the screws are out, there's just a couple snaps and the plastic is reasonably soft. Firm finger pressure popped them right out. The new bezels are mostly dress-up, might save scratching up the bumper a bit if you were to actually use the tow loops, but not actually necessary and would be easy to install anytime later.

I didn't like the idea of swinging a hammer in the neighborhood of the radiator, so I used a 2x4 scrap and a short baseboard/trim remover prybar to pull the long bolts. That took a bit more muscle than the blanks. Whichever method you choose, I thought pulling the long bolts was the hardest part of the job.

IMO, this is one of the easier upgrades/modifications. Nothing to measure, no holes to drill.

<iframe width="519" height="389" src="
" title="a child could do it short" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(My first attempt to embed a YouTube, hope it works.)

Gipraw

Reaction score
I agree. Four nuts and don't forget the electrical connector. What, ten minutes maybe? Doesn't weigh much and goes back on just as easy.

I didn't have any trouble getting the old blanks out. Once the screws are out, there's just a couple snaps and the plastic is reasonably soft. Firm finger pressure popped them right out. The new bezels are mostly dress-up, might save scratching up the bumper a bit if you were to actually use the tow loops, but not actually necessary and would be easy to install anytime later.

I didn't like the idea of swinging a hammer in the neighborhood of the radiator, so I used a 2x4 scrap and a short baseboard/trim remover prybar to pull the long bolts. That took a bit more muscle than the blanks. Whichever method you choose, I thought pulling the long bolts was the hardest part of the job.

IMO, this is one of the easier upgrades/modifications. Nothing to measure, no holes to drill.

<iframe width="519" height="389" src="
" title="a child could do it short" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(My first attempt to embed a YouTube, hope it works.)

Agree it is easy no well worth doing. With the air damn removed, I just grabbed the bolt with vice grips and pulled on it like a slide hammer. Came out in two pulls each side. No need to undo the connector, just pull the dam off the arms, leave them and the motor on.

Users who are viewing this thread