5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else getting offers from dealerships for your truck?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had a dealership reach out in recent months and made an offer to buy your truck off you? I ask because I sent out a ton of inquiries prior to buying my truck and spoke with countless sales guys, and it seems they've kept my contact on file because I have been getting several emails about trying to take it off my hands. I know the used market is ridiculous right now and I'm not surprised, but have any other members here also had this happening?

If so, were they good offers? Did anyone take the deal? Of the offers I've received two stand out. Both were for $62k CAD on my 2020 Sport w/>35k KMS on it. Purchased for $56k July 2020. Found a new 2021 Limited at one of them listed for $91k (o_O) that I would be interested in trading for. Would be interested to hear if anyone has taken one of these offers and what you're driving now?

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
My dealer sent me an email a few months back asking if I wanted to let go of my truck. I wanted to entertain the idea except it’s the only vehicle I have, so I would have had to buy something else… and while I could have downsized, I didn’t want to. I love my truck.

At the end of the day I opted to keep it.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Have received offers every 2 weeks after taking possession. Started at MSRP, which was $8k more than I paid, and has been as high as $13k more. Not interested as the same truck now is almost $14k more, if you can get it. I ordered mine in March 2021 and it took 3 months to get it. The same order now is likely 5-8 months to get and I haven’t seen a truck spec’d similar with an EcoDiesel since I got mine.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Not for the pickup, but the Toyota dealer sends us stuff or emails me about once a month offering to take my wife's car in trade. I suspect its more that you have a good credit score and they'd love to sell you a new truck more than that they just want to buy your current truck.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Not for the pickup, but the Toyota dealer sends us stuff or emails me about once a month offering to take my wife's car in trade. I suspect its more that you have a good credit score and they'd love to sell you a new truck more than that they just want to buy your current truck.
This is actually a great point. Didn't even think about that.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Dealers are hungry to buy trucks and will pay top dollar. Problem is, if you need to replace it you are going to pay out the rear for the new one. It sounds good up front but if you run the numbers it didn't make sense to me given the cost of the new trucks.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been like this for a while, I sold my 2017 back in May for $3,500 more than I paid for it over 2 years prior, and 35,000 hard miles. Truck also needed a handful of things fixed on it, including needing new tires.

However, I was 2 months into my wait for my new 21 order when I had sold the 17. Had to go 1 month without a truck but I had the timing work out to get an acceptable deal on my new order and then really cash in on my old truck. What I sold my 17 for in May vs what I agreed to trade in wise at the time of my order in March, increased over $8,000 in those two months ($30,000 to $38,250 I ended up selling at).

We even recently sold my partners car to carmax for about $4,000 more than she paid for it about 2.5 years ago. We just didn't really drive it enough to justify keeping it as oppose to making that kind of a profit on it. Being a 5 speed sedan, it wasn't exactly the most in demand type of vehicle so we were very happy to cash out on hers as well.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Dealers are hungry to buy trucks and will pay top dollar. Problem is, if you need to replace it you are going to pay out the rear for the new one. It sounds good up front but if you run the numbers it didn't make sense to me given the cost of the new trucks.

Yeah this is the problem I'm facing now in talks with some of these people making offers. They really don't want to budge on their prices and they're already above average asking. Willing to pay me more than I bought my truck for, but already asking way more for a new one? Doesn't seem to work out in my favor.

Been like this for a while, I sold my 2017 back in May for $3,500 more than I paid for it over 2 years prior, and 35,000 hard miles. Truck also needed a handful of things fixed on it, including needing new tires.

However, I was 2 months into my wait for my new 21 order when I had sold the 17. Had to go 1 month without a truck but I had the timing work out to get an acceptable deal on my new order and then really cash in on my old truck. What I sold my 17 for in May vs what I agreed to trade in wise at the time of my order in March, increased over $8,000 in those two months ($30,000 to $38,250 I ended up selling at).

We even recently sold my partners car to carmax for about $4,000 more than she paid for it about 2.5 years ago. We just didn't really drive it enough to justify keeping it as oppose to making that kind of a profit on it. Being a 5 speed sedan, it wasn't exactly the most in demand type of vehicle so we were very happy to cash out on hers as well.
Congrats on both sales. That's pretty great value out of vehicles owned for 2-2.5 years. Lucked out on what you call an "acceptable deal" for a 21 though. I can't seem to find the same luck.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
In the past, these offers were usually BS, like they really were in "desperate need for...." a 5 year old VW Jetta, lol. It was just a ploy to get you to buy something on the lot.

However, these days it's literally to get more stock they are desperate for. In many cases, you won't be able to get a new vehicle because there aren't enough on hand to find one in an actual trim you want or at a price you are wiling to pay.

I can sell my truck right now to several used car dealers and just about any FCA new car dealer for more than what I originally paid for it. But what am I going to buy? Certainly not something at 25% off like my Rebel 2 years ago.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep I get a few offers in the mail and was even asked when I got my first oil change from the dealer if I was interested in selling/trading. Unless it’s a second vehicle that you don’t “need” or if your wanting to get something else. You’ll get more for your trade in but you”ll also be going more then you would of in the past for a replacement vehicles not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the past, these offers were usually BS, like they really were in "desperate need for...." a 5 year old VW Jetta, lol. It was just a ploy to get you to buy something on the lot.

However, these days it's literally to get more stock they are desperate for. In many cases, you won't be able to get a new vehicle because there aren't enough on hand to find one in an actual trim you want or at a price you are wiling to pay.

I can sell my truck right now to several used car dealers and just about any FCA new car dealer for more than what I originally paid for it. But what am I going to buy? Certainly not something at 25% off like my Rebel 2 years ago.
It's crazy to drive by the empty dealerships right now. If they do have anything in stock (locally), it's just a bunch of Big Horns/Lonestars equipped the same way.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Right now, I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the current market conditions and selling my 2019 Limited. In the spring I was offered about $6k more than I had paid. I work from home, and don't expect to be going back to the office anytime soon. After I store my trailer for the winter next weekend, I won't be towing anything until next spring, so we can live with one vehicle. I have a standing offer from the dealership I bought it from to sell it back to them. I'm also seriously considering taking the plunge on an F-150 Lightning (either the XLT or Lariat with the extended battery), or the new Tundra Platinum with the i-Force Max.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Right now, I'm seriously considering taking advantage of the current market conditions and selling my 2019 Limited. In the spring I was offered about $6k more than I had paid. I work from home, and don't expect to be going back to the office anytime soon. After I store my trailer for the winter next weekend, I won't be towing anything until next spring, so we can live with one vehicle. I have a standing offer from the dealership I bought it from to sell it back to them. I'm also seriously considering taking the plunge on an F-150 Lightning (either the XLT or Lariat with the extended battery), or the new Tundra Platinum with the i-Force Max.

The only issue is the production constraints are tight, so little product with a lot of buyers. You should calculate how much you are likely going to pay for either a Lighting or Tundra in the coming couple of years, which is likely close to sticker or more for either.

This market is likely to stay like this for at least 2 more years. But selling now and waiting if you can do that would be an excellent idea.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's crazy to drive by the empty dealerships right now. If they do have anything in stock (locally), it's just a bunch of Big Horns/Lonestars equipped the same way.

Yup or sometimes they will say on their website 50 truck in stock, but when you look, it will say "In Transit", and who knows when it will arrive.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
The only issue is the production constraints are tight, so little product with a lot of buyers. You should calculate how much you are likely going to pay for either a Lighting or Tundra in the coming couple of years, which is likely close to sticker or more for either.

This market is likely to stay like this for at least 2 more years. But selling now and waiting if you can do that would be an excellent idea.
Agreed. I've owned Toyota vehicles in the past and there is very little if any negotiating the price from list, but their MSRP tends to be more realistic. If it wasn't for the extremely dated and tired interior, I would have more than likely gone with the Tundra in 2020. In speaking with a Toyota sales manager I know very well, from what they've seen with other new models that have launched during the pandemic they aren't expecting a huge jump in price over the 2021. The Lightning is more of a wild card, the XLT model is supposed to start @ $68k CAD. Who knows where the price lands once I've optioned it the way I want it. The one good thing we have going in Canada (at least that I haven't seen) is dealers aren't marking up their vehicles above MSRP. Will see how things go once the pricing is released and I start seriously dealing with the dealers. Worst case scenario is that I go on driving a truck that hasn't given me any problems so far and I enjoy. It's great when you can deal from a position of strength.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread