5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else feel like their transmission is very laggy and unresponsive?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I could be wrong, but to me it's simple; more gears = more opportunity to put the power right at the sweet spot of the engine. You can't use the miata and kia and titan in this discussion because you're comparing different engines, not the same engine with more or less gears.

The reason why CVT's are so good on paper is the same reason; keep that power optimized and reving right where it needs to be. The more gears you add, the more it approaches the CVT idea.

Yes we agree really good tuning is required, but that's the same for a 4 speed as well. So given proper tuning, a 10 speed will always give you the better options than the same truck/engine with a 4 speed. In worst case, it can skip gears (some transmissions don't use 1, but start off from 2 from a stand still, unless you drop it into sport mode), in best case, it will use all 10 gears and will always have an optimum gear for every mph, rpm, and load.
I just used the Miata/Kia as an example of more gears doesn't necessarily equal better. I've heard from others who have the 5 speed manual version of my Kia 6 speed, same engine, that it's a lot more fun to drive than my 6 speed. I don't have any direct experience so I can't say. Just as I can't say the 5.7 is better or worse with more gears. I suspect it's better, but I haven't had a Chrysler product since my '78 Dodge Colt which was a Mitsubishi anyway :p.

Mostly what I was trying to say is that it should cost more money to correctly set up an 8 speed transmission, from beginning to end, than it does a 5 speed (or 4 speed, if you like) just by virtue of having the ability to fine-tune everything, versus the lumping that occurs with less gears, and that it sounds like FCA could have improved that tuning but likely didn't because it's a cost issue. As for me, I'm pretty happy with the transmission the way it is since I tend to drive more like Grandpa than Racer Joe these days anyway :D

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just used the Miata/Kia as an example of more gears doesn't necessarily equal better. I've heard from others who have the 5 speed manual version of my Kia 6 speed, same engine, that it's a lot more fun to drive than my 6 speed. I don't have any direct experience so I can't say. Just as I can't say the 5.7 is better or worse with more gears. I suspect it's better, but I haven't had a Chrysler product since my '78 Dodge Colt which was a Mitsubishi anyway :p.

Mostly what I was trying to say is that it should cost more money to correctly set up an 8 speed transmission, from beginning to end, than it does a 5 speed (or 4 speed, if you like) just by virtue of having the ability to fine-tune everything, versus the lumping that occurs with less gears, and that it sounds like FCA could have improved that tuning but likely didn't because it's a cost issue. As for me, I'm pretty happy with the transmission the way it is since I tend to drive more like Grandpa than Racer Joe these days anyway :D

Hey I'm with you there, I drive like a granny (but I'm still 40 years away from looking like one) :giggle:

j517

Reaction score
Yeah... Loving my PC! No more lag. And I only have it in City 2 or 3. Runs like a bat out of hell now. Wow.

View attachment 33621 View attachment 33620
U have to get an s&b CAI and a exhaust I had a borla S Type I loved it. I felt like my mpg's were in the 22's before I traded it in drove it like I stole wow. The s&b made s type like 4 times louder

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
U have to get an s&b CAI and a exhaust I had a borla S Type I loved it. I felt like my mpg's were in the 22's before I traded it in drove it like I stole wow. The s&b made s type like 4 times louder

I have a B2 MF and it's just right. I really don't want louder ;)

j517

Reaction score
so people likely aren’t experiencing transmissions problems? They simply just don’t understand how to use the pedal? (I’m not saying it’s great)
I think people with the chargers challenger or what ever they are called they are having issues key word here is this we drive trucks we set it and forget it most of the fools having issues they want to be playing speed racer and fast and furious for you youngsters you dont see any one e here saying I had it at the highest setting and are burning off rubber people with trucks use it for its it's intended purpose get a little umfff make it fell like the old school trks no lag have good response I set mine on myn19 limited and didnt mess with it on my 2500 PW I installed it set it and dont mess with it and if you see the peps having issues they mess with it on the fly go go go speed racer

Nick54

Reaction score
Not saying that the condition I experienced nor the remedy will apply to all transmission lag and general vehicle acceleration unresponsiveness. I too experienced these conditions while running 87 octane gas. Heard from many on this site that thier mpg improved with 89 octane, so prior to taking a trip to Michigan recently, I topper her off with 89. I almost immediately experienced a snappier throttle response, no hesitation or shudder. I can't substantiate improved gas mpg yet, I'll check on next fill up. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this change.

barakutha

Reaction score
I experienced a shudder when reversing a couple random times during my first couple hundred miles, but haven't experienced it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Not saying that the condition I experienced nor the remedy will apply to all transmission lag and general vehicle acceleration unresponsiveness. I too experienced these conditions while running 87 octane gas. Heard from many on this site that thier mpg improved with 89 octane, so prior to taking a trip to Michigan recently, I topper her off with 89. I almost immediately experienced a snappier throttle response, no hesitation or shudder. I can't substantiate improved gas mpg yet, I'll check on next fill up. I would like to know if anyone else experienced this change.
I have always ran 87 in my truck and even with the Pedal Commander there is a lag or hesitation. Today when I was filling up, I remembered your post and decided to try some 89 octane. It did make a difference. My truck runs how it should now and how my 2013 Ram ran. Thank you for mentioning that! I always hate to pay more for the higher grades but I’ll do it from now on

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just read this entire post and have to say I feel it’s the slow throttle response, I’ve been running my Sprint Booster and the truck seems like it’s always in the right gear now. There’s nothing wrong with these transmissions it’s the throttle.

Attachments

• EC7E196B-52AF-489E-B970-8DD6366D3729.jpeg
    EC7E196B-52AF-489E-B970-8DD6366D3729.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 9FC701B1-075F-49FC-A0AD-2C0B247BEC6C.jpeg
    9FC701B1-075F-49FC-A0AD-2C0B247BEC6C.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 22
  • ED4DC578-AA72-47CC-B3FD-E02CB1CA82BF.jpeg
    ED4DC578-AA72-47CC-B3FD-E02CB1CA82BF.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread