5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else feel like their transmission is very laggy and unresponsive?

TXRAM23

Reaction score
It’s a truck guys, made to get dirty work hard and get beaten up. If you wanted a garage Queen you should have gotten a euro car

Dust complaints, paint chips, $250 tonneau covers, 87 octane, and now not enough power out of a hemi?

Nobody is complaining about any of this stuff in this thread. I never said the Hemi doesn't have enough power. I'm talking about the smoothness of the transmission. I think it is completely reasonable to expect a smooth shifting transmission on a $64K truck in 2019 or almost any vehicle for that matter.

My truck is dirty. I use it to haul. It has never even been inside a garage. I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
IMO, the 3.21 trucks actually drive better. They are “easier” to take off in since you don’t have the super steep 1st gear. It’s still steep, but it’s definitely more pronounced with 3.92s.

But I think you nailed it with the 1:1 pedal feeling, and that’s something I love. You can’t please everyone I guess. Average person isn’t a driver, half don’t know how to drive a standard, or take off in a standard without touching the gas, or drive at 3mph in first gear without the car bucking around.... all of these are skills that help you feel what’s happening with the vehicle, and ultimately transfer over into driving these newer automatics, where you can use the pedal pressure to get the transmission to do what you want when you want it.

I think people get into these fords and think they are so awesome because all the power is front loaded (at least on the EB). They just get in, point and click so to speak, and they “don’t have to press the pedal so far to go fast”. Smoke and mirrors.... I just came out of a 17 EB f150, and the ram is much better IMO, in terms of feeling more “raw” or natural with the acceleration anyways. The mid range on the EB is legit for rolling into the Throttle in gear thanks to the super low boost curves, but it just drives funky to me. The shifts aren’t as smooth, gear ratios aren’t as linear, just didn’t feel good to me. This was on a 2.7 6 spd, the little I’ve driven my dads 10spd 3.5 model it does seem a little better except it shifts around a lot more which can be odd at times.

It's more than smoke an mirrors, the 2.7L Ecoboost is a fast truck. It's consistently tested faster than the 3.5L Eco, 5.0L Coyote, Hemi and even the 6.2L GM in both 0-60 and quarter mile.

But don't get me wrong, I love my Hemi, it's more my style, especially in the sound department, but that Ford 2.7L Ecoboost is a legit giant slayer regardless of throttle tune. At stock settings, it's no different in power application to my RAM, just as lazy. But in sport mode, it's a different animal. Probably similar to using a Peddle Commander w/ Sport Tune.

R

Rob5589

I would definitely call it "lazy" but, it is similar to any vehicle I have driven with a 6+ gear auto trans without a sport mode. There is always the option to manually shift if so desired.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's more than smoke an mirrors, the 2.7L Ecoboost is a fast truck. It's consistently tested faster than the 3.5L Eco, 5.0L Coyote, Hemi and even the 6.2L GM in both 0-60 and quarter mile.

I wasn’t talking about speed, I was talking about feeling. Low rpm boost and small torquey motor that doesn’t need to rev makes the truck FEEL like it accelerates with less pedal and effort, although it’s still guzzling gas in boost and at running at 80%+ power even though it’s not downshifting, revving high, and “floored” pedal. That’s what I mean by front loaded pedal and power.

They FEEL faster, because the power band is more applicable to the average driver. When you floor one of them, it doesn’t really get much stronger than it was at half pedal. Because there’s just not much extra power on the top side.

TXRAM23

Reaction score
I seem to hear positive things about the Pedal Commander. Maybe I should give it a try to get the desired feel that works for me. Lot of money to spend for something that may not necessarily improve your impressions of the truck.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a negative review on it, also never used it. Seems like it could only improve things?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Do the Pedal Commanders ever go on sale or offered cheaper than $299? I see a few sites have a 5% discount that I could stack with a cash rewards card. But I was wondering if they ever go down to around $249 or something? Also, do they always have to be plugged in in order to work, or can you plug it in, set it to sport mode and then unplug it and store it in the house or use it in another car like my 2017 Charger that has a 5.7 Hemi?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I wasn’t talking about speed, I was talking about feeling. Low rpm boost and small torquey motor that doesn’t need to rev makes the truck FEEL like it accelerates with less pedal and effort, although it’s still guzzling gas in boost and at running at 80%+ power even though it’s not downshifting, revving high, and “floored” pedal. That’s what I mean by front loaded pedal and power.

They FEEL faster, because the power band is more applicable to the average driver. When you floor one of them, it doesn’t really get much stronger than it was at half pedal. Because there’s just not much extra power on the top side.

Gotcha, I see what you are saying. Though not sure about not extra power on the top side, when they do quarter miles faster than 6.2L LS motors.

Just wish RAM offered a sport setting like other manufacturers, for me, it's the only thing missing. However, the RAM is the best truck I've ever owned, which is saying a lot.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha, I see what you are saying. Though not sure about not extra power on the top side, when they do quarter miles faster than 6.2L LS motors.

Just wish RAM offered a sport setting like other manufacturers, for me, it's the only thing missing. However, the RAM is the best truck I've ever owned, which is saying a lot.

LT motors now, and their times are basically the same. There’s not a drastic difference in any of the trucks flat out.

Sounds like you want/need an aftermarket tune. This is the number one thing people like about aftermarket tunes.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
LT motors now, and their times are basically the same. There’s not a drastic difference in any of the trucks flat out.

Sounds like you want/need an aftermarket tune. This is the number one thing people like about aftermarket tunes.

Not really a tune, I don't think I need more power per say, just better throttle response. The RAM isn't alone in this, almost all the trucks I drove from other brands including Fords all feel about the same in "regular" mode.

It's just that if I want some more pep, some manufacturers have a sport mode, which I grew used to with my last truck of 4 years.

If I get anything, it will probably be a Pedal Commander. That will fix my issue, just don't want to drop $300 on something this truck probably should have came with.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Do the Pedal Commanders ever go on sale or offered cheaper than $299? I see a few sites have a 5% discount that I could stack with a cash rewards card. But I was wondering if they ever go down to around $249 or something? Also, do they always have to be plugged in in order to work, or can you plug it in, set it to sport mode and then unplug it and store it in the house or use it in another car like my 2017 Charger that has a 5.7 Hemi?
I don’t know if they ever go on sale either. I took advantage of the 5% off you mentioned.
Yes they have to remain plugged in to work

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
we used to have the ability to make them a performance truck, and now you have to spend more and more, its geared and set up to get the best possible MPG, less emissions, hence all the improvements and tech gadgets to open and close vents, air dams etc. the older versions used to have a mwechanical fan, and now that is electric. Mine would do fine at a track, but when I need it, it goes. I guess just driving these hemis since the inception has given me a perspective on how they run..
Just wait until Rams are all electric in 5 yrs.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The main things they change in tuning on a stock truck is the power curve slightly, throttle response, and shift schedules.

It should drive more like sport mode after a tune.

Last edited:

Lize

Reaction score
Not really a tune, I don't think I need more power per say, just better throttle response. The RAM isn't alone in this, almost all the trucks I drove from other brands including Fords all feel about the same in "regular" mode.

It's just that if I want some more pep, some manufacturers have a sport mode, which I grew used to with my last truck of 4 years.

If I get anything, it will probably be a Pedal Commander. That will fix my issue, just don't want to drop $300 on something this truck probably should have came with.
I agree, think they should have fitted an Eco and Sport button, this could have tweaked the throttle and the transmission change points too.
Feels like there is plenty of power but even mashing the pedal it just didn't respond as quickly as desired.

Pedal comander time
I've got one, shipped to UK it cost quite a bit as import duty to pay and I was a bit unsure, very glad I did though, works like a charm and is well worth the cash.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with you there... a Sport mode would be nice, and their so common these days on everything. I gotta believe they have one in the works for future model years, particularly since all the software is already developed for other V-8/ZF Trans FCA products.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree with you there... a Sport mode would be nice, and their so common these days on everything. I gotta believe they have one in the works for future model years, particularly since all the software is already developed for other V-8/ZF Trans FCA products.

Absolutely, wouldn't be surprised if it's available on 2020 or the mid-cycle refresh. But I guess life is best in moderation, I don't know if I can handle anymore "win" with my Rebel, adding the "sport" option may be too much awesome for any single vehicle :)

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, wouldn't be surprised if it's available on 2020 or the mid-cycle refresh. But I guess life is best in moderation, I don't know if I can handle anymore "win" with my Rebel, adding the "sport" option may be too much awesome for any single vehicle :)
That's just it... the Ram 1500 isn't about sheer numbers and specs. It's how it all comes together as a cohesive package... and it's awesome!

I've only had my truck a couple weeks, and I'm blown away by how much it puts a smile on my face.

shaveman

Reaction score
Great thread here, I've enjoyed reading it. I've only had my Pedal Commander a couple of days, and very limited driving with it so take my impressions with a grain of salt:
  • Pedal Commander does seem to almost completely eliminate the throttle response lag, as it's designed to do. Pedal Commander in City mode makes the truck drive more as I expected it to in stock form. I'm very pleased with it! (though I wasn't thrilled to need to spend $300 to get the truck to where it should have been to begin with)

• Pedal Commander does not solve the delayed transmission response. I tried Pedal Commander in Sport mode, and to me it only exacerbated the delayed shifting experience. I hit the gas to pass and there was instant throttle response as you would expect, but still too much of a delay as the transmission thought things over, took a sip of coffee, then decided to drop from 8th to 3rd gear.

• I am surprised this Ram doesn't have a Sport mode, which could help solve this issue. Sport mode has become so ubiquitous, it's in 4-banger cars with 9-second 0-60 times that have no business having a Sport mode. These lag issues are (for the most part) caused by electronics programming, and can be solved by electronics programming.

• I don't think this truck needs an 8-speed transmission. It only has a top-end of 105 mph. Give me a more responsive and less complex 5 or 6 speed transmission (and call me an old-timer if you want).

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't think this truck needs an 8-speed transmission. It only has a top-end of 105 mph. Give me a more responsive and less complex 5 or 6 speed transmission (and call me an old-timer if you want).

There is nothing wrong the 8 speed (well, maybe RAM has work to do yet); the exact same ZF 8 speed is in BMW's, Jeep GC SRT, and some other expensive European stuff, the transmission performs amazing everywhere else (apparently) according to reviewers.

I had a mercedes sourced 5 speed in my previous ride, a 2012 Jeep GC, and that thing was a dog that would make you yearn for your current transmission. For some reason, Jeep/RAM has trouble with transmission programming in some vehicles, like it was tuned by high schoolers on a budget. Either that, or they're just saying "screw it; if it helps MPG, we're going with it".

But my long winded point is to say; it's not the amount of gears (8 vs 5), it's how it's programmed. GM's 10 speed performs amazingly in the new Chevy's, it's always in the right gear and is never confused. My own personal Ram also performs flawlessly as far as I can see, other than a little bit of throttle lag, I have no issues with the entire drive train.

Users who are viewing this thread