5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone added Baja designs lights please come in

Fcso227

Reaction score
Thanks for letting info and video. For the back it looks easy and plug and play indeed.

But I actually meant the front tow hooks. If someone found a solution to mount small lights on those?
I just bought some covers that go where the tow hooks go. I have tow hooks currently, but was planning to remove them and then replace that area with the OE cover. With the OE cover installed I was looking into flush mount lights. No brackets needed. 3x3 lights will fit in there. I haven't started the project yet, but I will soon.

Attachments

• 66556_source_1686246466.jpg
    66556_source_1686246466.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2d61cd55aecb7eff639ec9f73330961a.JPG
    2d61cd55aecb7eff639ec9f73330961a.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Are those open grills where you put the lights behind it?
A bit like what you see a lot with the lower center grill where a 20 or 30 inch LED bar can be behind.

Would indeed be nice if there would be lights that perfectly fit/close the gap where the front tow hooks normally be.

Fcso227

Reaction score
A bit like what you see a lot with the lower center grill where a 20 or 30 inch LED bar can be behind.

Would indeed be nice if there would be lights that perfectly fit/close the gap where the front tow hooks normally be.
These are closed, non-see through. The Baja lights, or any other flush mount light would mount on the front, outside. I've searched and even found some lights that are 3x6 that would fit on the grille piece too. That would fill that space a little better like you want.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just bought some covers that go where the tow hooks go. I have tow hooks currently, but was planning to remove them and then replace that area with the OE cover. With the OE cover installed I was looking into flush mount lights. No brackets needed. 3x3 lights will fit in there. I haven't started the project yet, but I will soon.
if i remember correctly those covers are secured with hardwares on the bottom only. Your light will fall out.
disregard if the covers are secured both on top and bottom.

Fcso227

Reaction score
if i remember correctly those covers are secured with hardwares on the bottom only. Your light will fall out.
disregard if the covers are secured both on top and bottom.
It looks like there are tabs on the top and some mounting tabs on the bottom too. It looks pretty secure. I haven't crawled under the truck to see how the current covers are attached.

Attachments

• 20240212_173119.jpg
    20240212_173119.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 19

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty positive those flush mount lights won’t work because they’re bigger than 3 inches. That being said, it would be easy to mount the regular squadrons with a simple bracket.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I also don't want to loose/take away my front tow hooks. It is standard on a Limited so will look weird to have a Limited trim without the tow hooks. So I still remain a fan of pod lights mounted on a bracket on or around the hook.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like there are tabs on the top and some mounting tabs on the bottom too. It looks pretty secure. I haven't crawled under the truck to see how the current covers are attached.
that looks way too flimsy to be trail rated... with added weight of the lights and vibration off pavement, i wouldn't do it but i do have really high standards for what "secure" is lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JRD

Reaction score
Sorry for the shameless plug lol, but if you’re down to wait about 2 months and get a few more squadrons I’ll have my new grille kit in production 😏 full bolt on, no drilling/cutting. Comes with the grille replacement and laser cut + powdercoated brackets. It fits 5 lights. That second pic was just an experiment with 6 but I decided to stick with 5. Preorder price of $174.95 with free shipping too. Just throwing it out there 🙂 View attachment 171197 View attachment 171198
I know you posted this awhile ago, but I just checked your site and you’re still selling them. Can you post a pic of what the lights look like at night if you don’t mind? I’ve been trying to find a lowkey way to incorporate some lights into my truck and this seems perfect.

And FWIW, I love the packaging. The black box and sick, and the sunglasses holder is a cool touch vs the standard plastic bag. Also very cool of you to add an install vid

Edit: I just realized you just came out with these, for some reason I thought it was last year

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I know you posted this awhile ago, but I just checked your site and you’re still selling them. Can you post a pic of what the lights look like at night if you don’t mind? I’ve been trying to find a lowkey way to incorporate some lights into my truck and this seems perfect.

And FWIW, I love the packaging. The black box and sick, and the sunglasses holder is a cool touch vs the standard plastic bag. Also very cool of you to add an install vid

Edit: I just realized you just came out with these, for some reason I thought it was last year
Hey man! Yessir we opened up shop 2 months ago and have been going strong with these grille kits and we’re designing more products too :)

Here is a couple pictures: first picture is factory LED headlights and LED fog lights. Second picture is the headlights + fog lights + SKT Customs Grille Kit with Baja Designs Squadrons (3 clear and 2 amber). 100% unedited. These lights pack a punch and the curve of the grille helps with the light spread so much! IMG_4623.jpeg IMG_4624.jpeg

JRD

Reaction score
Hey man! Yessir we opened up shop 2 months ago and have been going strong with these grille kits and we’re designing more products too :)

Here is a couple pictures: first picture is factory LED headlights and LED fog lights. Second picture is the headlights + fog lights + SKT Customs Grille Kit with Baja Designs Squadrons (3 clear and 2 amber). 100% unedited. These lights pack a punch and the curve of the grille helps with the light spread so much! View attachment 179890 View attachment 179891
Wow those are a lot brighter than I was expecting. Do you recall what model squadron you have? Also, do you have affiliate links to get credit for sales on BD or other light manufacturers?

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow those are a lot brighter than I was expecting. Do you recall what model squadron you have? Also, do you have affiliate links to get credit for sales on BD or other light manufacturers?
i've yet to see retailers offer BD for less than MSRP tbh...
your best bet is either get it from Corey (@SKT Customs) direct or wait till black friday when they do cash back, or check with various forum vendors to see if their discount code include BD stuff.

i'd offer to help out from my shop but not sure if bossman would be happy with that.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So these are 3 racers and 2 pros - so definitely one of the priciest setups haha. But I ran 5 sport models for a long time and they were still very bright but didn’t shine as far as these do. I totally recommend the sports, but I’ll say if you can justify the cost, get 2 PRO spots and put them in positions 2 and 4 and then the other 3 sport models are fine. I still haven’t seen anybody run the SAE (street legal ones) but that’s another option too from BD too!

We don’t have any affiliate links for Baja Designs unfortunately. We will be adding a new grille option to fit Strands Siberia LED pods, and we will have an exclusive discount for those lights. But nothing for BD at this time. Hopefully one day :)

JRD

Reaction score
So these are 3 racers and 2 pros - so definitely one of the priciest setups haha. But I ran 5 sport models for a long time and they were still very bright but didn’t shine as far as these do. I totally recommend the sports, but I’ll say if you can justify the cost, get 2 PRO spots and put them in positions 2 and 4 and then the other 3 sport models are fine. I still haven’t seen anybody run the SAE (street legal ones) but that’s another option too from BD too!

We don’t have any affiliate links for Baja Designs unfortunately. We will be adding a new grille option to fit Strands Siberia LED pods, and we will have an exclusive discount for those lights. But nothing for BD at this time. Hopefully one day :)
I’m leaning towards BD at the moment, @boogielander was telling me a little about his experience with them and the fact that they’re in the US is a plus. I’m a believer in the buy once cry once when at all possible. I wanted to get an exhaust next but now seeing that kit has be thinking better lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards BD at the moment, @boogielander was telling me a little about his experience with them and the fact that they’re in the US is a plus. I’m a believer in the buy once cry once when at all possible. I wanted to get an exhaust next but now seeing that kit has be thinking better lol
oh yeah dude
here's my experience:
ran my old BD for 7 years. they sat in SoCal sun every day. Abused them with mud, snow (up in the mountains), dust, vibrations (going through washboards), and heat. No problem at all. No condensation inside either. One even took a thick tree branch going 60mph (or faster) and still good. Not even a scratch. i'd still run them if my friend didn't buy them from me for me to upgrade to bigger ones lol
they also put the light where you NEED them too.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Absolutely man, I have the same mentality. I’m running 14 Baja designs lights on my Ram right now lol. They’re a good company that stands behind their product no questions asked. They’re only about 10 minutes from us so we stop in there frequently to chat or buy stuff or prototype stuff haha. They have cool workers that truly believe in their product and they all enjoy the off road industry as well.

Here’s a thought, do the kit with BD lights and then save some money and use a carven muffler for your exhaust and remove the resonators 🤘🏼 it’s about $150-200 all in for that exhaust setup welded by a shop and man does it sound great! I’ve had it for 4 years

JRD

Reaction score
if you decide to sell the tow hooks let me know, may be interested in picking them up

Users who are viewing this thread