5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ACTUALLY running 5w-30 or even 10w-30? Thoughts? Experience? Any REAL TRUTH to throwing a code running higher weight oil (no conjecture please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
YouTube Certified, I just love that one! This should be on every automotive forum everywhere!
I guess others have seen that a lot, but today was the first time I’ve seen it. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to use it, haha

n8zcc

Reaction score
Here is an excellent viscosity discussion. The bottom line, use what the manufacture recommends and why.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is an excellent viscosity discussion. The bottom line, use what the manufacture recommends and why.

Wow, he's even youtube certified!

But where's the fun in following the manufacturer spec... I bet you guys dutifully ate all the peas and carrots your mom put on your plate too.

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
5w30 Royal Purple. Upped the oil filter to the larger WIX 57899 (used by the older 2012 Ram 5.7's) verses the stock puny filter WIX 57060 / RP 10-48. So far so good. I was advised to keep with your original cold start weight, if you use 5w, keep using 5w, not to switch to 10W. Computer is used to them cold start up viscosities and will adjust as it heats up, however the upper number, wouldn't go more then 30. I don't let my MDS engage, I pretty much run around in tow mode. Tow a trailer too so felt after 40,000 miles, its time to thicken it up a bit. Zero Codes.

n8zcc

Reaction score

But where's the fun in following the manufacturer spec... I bet you guys dutifully ate all the peas and carrots your mom put on your plate too.
Well, Mom said eating carrots will protect your eyesight. I think she was right, 71, and I don't wear glasses.

I'm not up on all this YouTube stuff, what is YouTube Certified?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want to dig deep into oil and such the oil nerd forum is BITOG. Bob is the oil guy.
There is a lot of good info there, but also a lot of opinionated arseholes who think they know what's best for everyone. Kind of like most forums. It used to be a better, more moderated site.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
My mom told me if I touched certain areas I would go blind. Here I am with bifocals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My mom told me if I touched certain areas I would go blind. Here I am with bifocals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have bifocals because if it, must have been really small things you were touching in those areas

Scram1500

Reaction score
If olive oil comes from olives, and corn oil from corn, what is motor oil made from? and even worse... baby oil??

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I ate the carrots, but stuffed the peas down the heat register. YUK! :ROFLMAO:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like to see those posts. In any case, it's Redline's formulation that kills the tick, not the weight. The thick weight is better for the engine as a whole, especially when it gets hot or when towing in the summer.
The extra moly helps the tick.

I went to 5w-30 for one oil change and didn't notice any difference in MPG, tick, etc.

I'll stick with my PUP 5w-20 since I've got a MOPAR ESP through 2026. If the tick starts to become pronounced (more than a few seconds on cold startup) then I'll shell out the extra donuts for Redline. Looking at the cost to get some moly additive (ZDDP) it's about the same if not cheaper to just get it premixed in Redline.

Even though there's truth in everything you also have to take things with a grain of salt. What the engineers recommend is not always what makes it to print. There are a lot of fingers in the pie and it doesn't always look the same as the initial picture when it hits the shelf (how many concept vehicles went to mass production unchanged). It may not be the end all/be all that's in the owner's manual but FCA Stellantis has to honor it if they wrote it.

My last truck was an older Ford diesel that came out in the pre-emissions days and when Low Sulfur Diesel fuel was the standard. Fast forward a few years and Big Brother mandates Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel dropping the sulfur content from 500ppb to 15 ppb. No big deal except sulfur provides lubricity to diesel engines and Ford came out and said "it's okay, your engine is fine". How can it be fine if I just lost over 95% of the lubricating properties of my fuel that the engineers were counting on??!?!! Add to that the transmission fluid was discontinued and what was taboo prior to that (Ford said don't use XXX fluid ever in your transmission) was okay to use when "the good stuff" was no longer available.

I knew one of the engineers that designed transmissions for Ford and he said that the specs they put out did not always make it to production (or print) after it ran through the corporate filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread