5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody running 285/55R22?

Topcorns336

Reaction score
I had them installed and here are some photos. I had the exact same spot barely touching the flimsy plastic wheel liner when full lock to the left and braking at the same time. It’s so flimsy that I chose to place a tiny hole at the edge and zip ties it back. It worked perfectly. Zero rub etc. Now I need to decide do I level it with my Revel kit or not. First photo is on OR3 and the others are in normal mode. As far as sound, the tires are surely louder than the pirelli scorpion Verde all seasons that came stock but they are quieter than my Toyo AT3’s that I had on my last truck which was expected as those were mud terrain and these are hybrid all terrain. Anyway very pleased with these tires (except the cost of course lol) and they look great in the wheel well
Badass looking truck!

Have you messed with psi yet?

I just got a Tazer DT and I'm adjusting the tire size to correct the shifting points/Speedo/Odometer. Debating on going up to 50-60psi from 40psi (what discount tires set to). That would probably push me up from 33.5" though, and could cause more rubbing. 🤔

Here's a couple pics of what I'm working with.

Attachments

• 20230716_184312.jpg
    20230716_184312.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 20230716_184251.jpg
    20230716_184251.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 133

Topcorns336

Reaction score
Badass looking truck!

I just got a Tazer DT and I'm adjusting the tire size to correct the shifting points/Speedo/Odometer. Debating on going up to 50-60psi from 40psi (what discount tires set to). That would probably push me up from 33.5" though, and could cause more rubbing. 🤔

Welp I dove down the rabbit hole for my own psi question. Based on the change from OEM 285/45/22 to 285/55/22 the new recommended tire pressure for the load capacity is 45psi. Brief explanation from the calculator seen in the screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_210543_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_210543_Chrome.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 60

ethanslights

Reaction score
Badass looking truck!

Do you have the 3.21 or 3.92 rear axel? If you have the 3.21, did you notice a loss of power with these tires? I have the same truck and I'm wanting to add 285/55/22 tires, but I'm a bit worried about losing acceleration.

Topcorns336

Reaction score
Do you have the 3.21 or 3.92 rear axel? If you have the 3.21, did you notice a loss of power with these tires? I have the same truck and I'm wanting to add 285/55/22 tires, but I'm a bit worried about losing acceleration.
I have a 3.21. I wouldn't say I felt a loss of power, and I definitely didn't do any measurements to confirm. It feels a little heavier but it feels like a truck instead of pavement princess.

I would say I felt the shift points affect the torque and feel of the drive. I think with most OBDII chip, Tuner Chip, or like my Tazer DT, you can fix those shift points by adjusting the total wheel dimension.

I'm still tweaking the number for the final wheel size with the Tazer DT but I've seen drastic improvements in feel from the stock setting of 32.(25?) To 34". Tazer DT says to measure the exterior wheel size with measuring tape to be most accurate. Mine measured at 33.5" with 45 PSI. At ~33.7 on Tazer DT setting, The shifting wasn't quite right and speedo was off by 3 MPH going 70mph. Yesterday at 34" setting with Tazer DT, I was only ~1+ MPH off the Speedo at 70mph. I'll probably try to bump it to 34.25 and repeat the test.

Information dump but might as well share what I think helped. Hope it helps!

ethanslights

Reaction score
I have a 3.21. I wouldn't say I felt a loss of power, and I definitely didn't do any measurements to confirm. It feels a little heavier but it feels like a truck instead of pavement princess.

I would say I felt the shift points affect the torque and feel of the drive. I think with most OBDII chip, Tuner Chip, or like my Tazer DT, you can fix those shift points by adjusting the total wheel dimension.

I'm still tweaking the number for the final wheel size with the Tazer DT but I've seen drastic improvements in feel from the stock setting of 32.(25?) To 34". Tazer DT says to measure the exterior wheel size with measuring tape to be most accurate. Mine measured at 33.5" with 45 PSI. At ~33.7 on Tazer DT setting, The shifting wasn't quite right and speedo was off by 3 MPH going 70mph. Yesterday at 34" setting with Tazer DT, I was only ~1+ MPH off the Speedo at 70mph. I'll probably try to bump it to 34.25 and repeat the test.

Information dump but might as well share what I think helped. Hope it helps!
Ok that's great to know! I definitely appreciate the info. I'll have to go pickup a Tazer DT if I move forward with the tires. I'd be curious to hear the final results once you've landed and are happy with your Tazer DT settings

Topcorns336

Reaction score
Ok that's great to know! I definitely appreciate the info. I'll have to go pickup a Tazer DT if I move forward with the tires. I'd be curious to hear the final results once you've landed and are happy with your Tazer DT settings
Ok, more tweaking than I expected. I'm now set at 34.64" (I believe that's the spec dimension from Nitto anyways). That has gotten me pretty damn close to perfect. At 80mph, I'm matching at 80. The app I'm using for gps/mph could have a delay, so I'm chalking any small variance up to that. While on cruise control I end up matching pretty dang close on speedo to app.

All in all, Tazer DT is worth it. Love the extra features for fun/aesthetics.

Shift points are great. Also installed an S&B cold air intake today and that seems to liven up the torque and HP.

1923bob

Reaction score
I love the Tazer I went with 33x12.50x22

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's the ride quality like? I've wanted to drop my rear, instead of raising the front to level, but I've heard it's not a good move and makes for a rougher ride.
The maxtrac springs were too soft (overall) for my liking. I didn’t like how much it squatted with as little as 160lbs of soil in the bed, or with me standing in the bed and over the axle. To me, the spring rate felt ~100lbs or so too soft.

BigDsLimited

Reaction score
Anyone tried a 295/55r22 Toyo AT3 on air? I have Fuel Rebels with a -13 offset so I seems that will help with rubbing in Aero mode.

Josh24

Reaction score
Anybody running the 285/55/22 with stock suspension and mud flaps? I ordered the Mopar ones and am now wondering if they are going to rub with the minimal clearance.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anybody running the 285/55/22 with stock suspension and mud flaps? I ordered the Mopar ones and am now wondering if they are going to rub with the minimal clearance.

Mines rubbed the mud flaps WITH a level, so am pretty sure you’ll rub and need to trim the inside of the flap.

Users who are viewing this thread