5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody add tow hooks?

397STROKER

Reaction score
I put tow hooks on this past weekend. purchased on Amazon.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added the black OEM Tow Hooks and bezels about a year ago. No fitment issues for me, no rust either. The install was pretty straight forward, except that the active air dam is right in the way. Other than that, the bolts are ~ 8” long and are held on by a retaining washer and some “persuasion” is required to get them off. Like others have said, it’s about a one hour job tops.

4C0EAD2E-9FBD-49D6-862B-FC02105CFA8E.jpeg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I put a pair of black hooks on my 1500 in September.....purchased off eBay. I haven't driven the truck even 400 miles since (retired), and the truck never sits out in the weather. The paint on the hooks is already flecked and showing rust. And the plastic trim pieces for the bumper cutouts did not fit anything like the OE.....had to be jury rigged.
That's consistent with the reviews I've read about most Chinese knockoff parts. It's just not worth the small savings. Thanks for the review.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. If you’re going to purchase and install tow hooks, buy MOPAR. The knockoffs are crap which are typically painted with something slightly better than white wash. Even what they consider to be chrome wouldn’t pass for a poor paint job with any of us. And the last thing you want is to have a buddy hooked onto those hooks to pull you out and one of them snaps off only to boomerang into his rear window.

Last edited:

terrywarfield

Reaction score
LOL no doubt. If get up into the snow belt (specifically around Chardon) you'll have that excuse. My factory wheel/tires were swapped with less than 200 miles on them for a set of Rebel take-off Duratracs.

im NE Ohio also. Ohio representing in this thread!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me in as well, I added the black tow hooks as my truck already has more than enough bling up front for my taste. If I can do it, anyone can.

Oh and welcome back, whats up the diesel gladiator, not happy with it?

Love it actually. Coolest truck I've ever owned. Gets looks and questions everywhere I go. And it's just a pleasure to drive and park. But, the interior is tiny and my 14 year old is already 5'10" and still growing fast so when our family goes places we're cramped in it. So I decided to start looking at full sizes again while trade-in values are still red hot.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
........ But, the interior is tiny and ....... ........ start looking at full sizes again while trade-in values are still red hot.
That's exactly why I traded my Wrangler. I had one of, if not the, first JL's in the area. I loved it. Very fun to drive, comfortable and a real conversation piece.
At the end of the day though, it was so dang small I started to miss having a full size truck and that's with just me, my wife, and a heeler. I can't imaging hauling kids around in one. With trade values as high as they are/were I ended up getting MORE for the Jeep than I paid when I ordered it new 3 years earlier. I still got my B plan pricing (or whatever FCA calls it) on the truck so I ended up owing less for a brand new truck than I did for a 3 year old Jeep.
The one thing I will give Jeep is that their resale value is insane. Actually, I'll give a lot of props to Jeeps, but that's probably the most impressive thing about them. I hope my Ram holds its value even close to as well as the Jeep did.

Anyway, slight derailment there.
Back to your regularly scheduled program....

cervelo15

Reaction score
I added the black OEM Tow Hooks and bezels about a year ago. No fitment issues for me, no rust either. The install was pretty straight forward, except that the active air dam is right in the way. Other than that, the bolts are ~ 8” long and are held on by a retaining washer and some “persuasion” is required to get them off. Like others have said, it’s about a one hour job tops.

View attachment 114468
Im glad you mentioned the active air dam, because I ran into the same issue. I just took mine off a few months back, wish I would have done it at the same time as the tow hooks, would have made install a little easier.

Frosty Ride

Reaction score
im NE Ohio also. Ohio representing in this thread!
Another one- in Hudson. Regarding snow, I've got a new Big Horn with the Off-Road Package that has the Falkens which are snowflake rated and the e-locker. Was really looking forward to seeing how it did in some snow. Save for about 6-7" around Thanksgiving weekend, we haven't seen a thing in December. Maybe another light year? My Honda snowblower is just sitting there staring at me, he's ready to go!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend if you do install tow hooks to throw on a little thread lock on the threads before you install the bolts for the tow hooks.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another one- in Hudson. Regarding snow, I've got a new Big Horn with the Off-Road Package that has the Falkens which are snowflake rated and the e-locker. Was really looking forward to seeing how it did in some snow. Save for about 6-7" around Thanksgiving weekend, we haven't seen a thing in December. Maybe another light year? My Honda snowblower is just sitting there staring at me, he's ready to go!
Look at Ohio representing in this thread. Makes sense though, people in a state where you may actually need the hooks are adding them.
I've had Falken (Wildpeak AT3W) and they were absolutely amazing in the snow and in the summer. With any luck you won't need those tow hooks to get you out, because the tires will keep you from getting stuck.

And don't let your Honda worry, his time is coming.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got cherry red mopar hooks! Rustoleum paint lol View attachment 115002
View attachment 115001
I shouldn't admit this but the first time I saw red tow hooks I thought it was a pretty good idea for older drivers like me who can't see chit in the dark. Then I got to thinking well if they painted them red to help an old fella find them in the dark, Ram must sell them coated with glow in the dark paint. I called my local Ram parts manager and asked him about it...after he stopped laughing, he got really serious and said they do sell glow in the dark tow hooks for older Ram owners - they are special order and cost $200 for the tow hooks and $800 for the glow in the dark paint job. Screw it, I just carry a flashlight now. ;)

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Just a tip for anyone else installing hooks.
For the long 8" or whatever bolt...
I just put my 2 fingers on the back of the bolthead (theres a washer there) and applied slight downward pressure, then unscrewed the long bolt the rest of the way out with my other hand.
Whatever that clip is inside the frame, the bolt will thread out easily through it.
No need to get a wrench on it and try to hammer downward.

Also, I got sprayed with stinky water when using the impact to start that bolt. Dont be right under it lol.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the same thing with the bolt. Slight downward pressure on the bolt to unscrew it after it released from the thread.
The bolt has a retaining washer on it, so it's technically not threaded. If you put a little pressure on it though, it will still unscrew. You can tap it down, but that seemed like more effort than required.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Added black hooks.

Attachments

• 265E151B-F161-4BAE-A75C-95F6026AD8CB.jpeg
    265E151B-F161-4BAE-A75C-95F6026AD8CB.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 55

Modstang

Reaction score
I found out today Mopar changed how they're selling the hooks. My previous cart had everything in it, hooks and bezels, for $157/shipped. Now they're wanting you to buy each hook separate, plus two bolts, and then the bezels. $78.87*2, $6.35*2, $11.35 plus shipping and tax. ~$216 today. I've tried four Mopar stores and they all gave the same cancelation email about the change. Hopefully you bought it before they screwed up their pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread