5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any way to move rearview mirror camera from CHMSL to rear of truck topper?

Humer91

Reaction score
recently put a Leer 100xr on my 2022 Limited. Between the truck can rear window tint and the tint of front and rear windows of the Leer topper, seeing using the rearview mirror is now impossible. Does anyone know of a way to relocate the CHMSL camera to the rear of the topper?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You might be able to install another camera and disconnect the wiring from existing one.
I believe they terminate into the rear of the radio.
@Jimmy07 might know

Would be a pain in the but i'm sure it could probably be done though.

hermes

Reaction score
Yes, you can do it. You will need to build an extension cable and a kind of base for the camera.

Humer91

Reaction score
This cable SHOULD plug directly into the existing wiring in the CHMSL, run the cable over the back of the topper and mount the camera on the tail end of the topper. Just have see if the camera shows a similar view. Adjustable Relocation Kit With Camera Included, Fits 2019-2022 RAM® 1500 W/360 View

if not I guess i can just buy a FAKRA type extension cable, pull the existing camera and run it to the back of the topper, then figure out some sort of housing.

John Jensen

Reaction score
You might be able to install another camera and disconnect the wiring from existing one.
I believe they terminate into the rear of the radio.
@Jimmy07 might know

Would be a pain in the but i'm sure it could probably be done though.
2019+ HD trucks all cameras terminate under the driver's seat. Not sure what size truck the OP has.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the digital mirror, you don't need to do anything on the mirror side. On the camera side, you would just need a female to male FAKRA cable. You have to use the same camera in the CHMSL I believe.

Humer91

Reaction score
For the digital mirror, you don't need to do anything on the mirror side. On the camera side, you would just need a female to male FAKRA cable. You have to use the same camera in the CHMSL I believe.
yeah, I figured the FAKRA cable part out, just trying to decide if I buy the complete unit from camerasource which is technically a back up camera, but includes cable, new camera and housing, or just buy a cable, remove and use the existing camera, and try to figure out a solution for a housing for the camera.

I guess right now I am leaning towards using the complete kit, assuming they have a good return policy if it doesn't work the way I want.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This cable SHOULD plug directly into the existing wiring in the CHMSL, run the cable over the back of the topper and mount the camera on the tail end of the topper. Just have see if the camera shows a similar view. Adjustable Relocation Kit With Camera Included, Fits 2019-2022 RAM® 1500 W/360 View

if not I guess i can just buy a FAKRA type extension cable, pull the existing camera and run it to the back of the topper, then figure out some sort of housing.
You can’t use that kit because that camera is for the surround view system, and won’t work with the digital rear view mirror.
This is the camera for the DRVM- 68448640AA
Like @Brutal_HO said above, check out HDRams forum. All the information there is relevant and applies the same to the 1500. Here is the thread where a member makes a 3D printed housing for the DRVM camera:

Humer91

Reaction score
You can’t use that kit because that camera is for the surround view system, and won’t work with the digital rear view mirror.
This is the camera for the DRVM- 68448640AA
Like @Brutal_HO said above, check out HDRams forum. All the information there is relevant and applies the same to the 1500. Here is the thread where a member makes a 3D printed housing for the DRVM camera:
I think i want to buy a new camera and leave the existing camera in the CHMSL. I am assuming my '22 1500 Limited doesn't have the bumper outlet like the HDs do, so I am going to need to run cable from the CHMSL, thru or over the topper, then to the rear of the topper near the topper's 3rd brake light.

Will this female to female Fakra cable work to unplug the existing CHMSL RVM camera, plug this cable into the existing cable, run cable to new location, then plug into new camera? If not which cable should I be looking for? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MY4ZZP...0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwy

PS, thanks for the link to the 3d printed housing, if he is still selling them i am going to grab one for sure.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think i want to buy a new camera and leave the existing camera in the CHMSL. I am assuming my '22 1500 Limited doesn't have the bumper outlet like the HDs do, so I am going to need to run cable from the CHMSL, thru or over the topper, then to the rear of the topper near the topper's 3rd brake light.

Will this female to female Fakra cable work to unplug the existing CHMSL RVM camera, plug this cable into the existing cable, run cable to new location, then plug into new camera? If not which cable should I be looking for? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MY4ZZP...0&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwy

PS, thanks for the link to the 3d printed housing, if he is still selling them i am going to grab one for sure.
I don’t believe the 1500 ever went with the tow mode version for 2022.
Assuming you’re going to extend the cable off of the existing one that is plugged into the CHMSL, you would get an RG58 like you have linked, but it needs to be male to female.
If you’re running a new cable from the mirror to a new camera, it would be female to female.

Humer91

Reaction score
I don’t believe the 1500 ever went with the tow mode version for 2022.
Assuming you’re going to extend the cable off of the existing one that is plugged into the CHMSL, you would get an RG58 like you have linked, but it needs to be male to female.
If you’re running a new cable from the mirror to a new camera, it would be female to female.
So to confirm, I could plug that cable i linked ( but male to female) into the existing cable in the CHMSL that currently terminates in the current CHMSL camera, run the cable out of the CHMSL and seal it, then run it to the rear of the topper, plug it into a camera and be good to go?

If i go that route and use the existing cable I will only be out the price of the new cable and any housing I use.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So to confirm, I could plug that cable i linked ( but male to female) into the existing cable in the CHMSL that currently terminates in the current CHMSL camera, run the cable out of the CHMSL and seal it, then run it to the rear of the topper, plug it into a camera and be good to go?

If i go that route and use the existing cable I will only be out the price of the new cable and any housing I use.
If you unplug the camera cable from the CHMSL camera and plug a MALE end into that cable, you can use the FEMALE end to plug into another camera on the topper.

Users who are viewing this thread