5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any settings to automatically lock the door when you walk away?

Narg

Reaction score
This along with other features I'd love to see aftermarket. Like rolling all windows down from the keyfob. I had that feature on an older Chevy truck, and was awesome when approaching to air out the truck on a very hot day before getting into the oven it has become. My wife's Caddy has the auto lock on walking away. It can be turned off, but I'd leave it turned on. Both of these to me could be software updates, if RAM cared enough to do that. Telsa still owns the market on software added features after the sale. Not sure why other OEMs aren't taking the hint. I bought an aftermarket re-programmer for a few neat features, like leaving the fog lights on and also enabling a light show (telsa like...) as well as a few other things. But that device was too buggy, so I removed it. Someone has to have the knowledge and ability to build devices to add features like this and others.

Narg

Reaction score
I'm glad they don't. There are plenty of times I have gone in the house and left my keys, then want to get in my truck and not have my keys. I don't want it locking itself if I have to run in someplace for a second. If they ever do add it, I hope they make it possible to turn on and off.

Normally this is a feature on other cars you can turn off. Why worry about something that won't be a problem? Besides, how could you get into this situation? You'd need your keys to get into the truck, so you'd have them to leave and the key leaving is what would lock the truck. Plus the truck won't lock with the key in it already, why would it lock if the key was in it with this feature? Yes, the OEMs do think of these things and don't allow us to make mistakes like you describe.

kwill

Reaction score
The problem is inter-operability or standardization, if you prefer. Each manufacturer does it a little differently and it even varies between models of the same vehicle. My Ram automatically sets the parking brake but doesn't lock the doors. That makes no sense to me but, yes, by all means lets adapt humans to the machine, not the other way around.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This along with other features I'd love to see aftermarket. Like rolling all windows down from the keyfob. I had that feature on an older Chevy truck, and was awesome when approaching to air out the truck on a very hot day before getting into the oven it has become. My wife's Caddy has the auto lock on walking away. It can be turned off, but I'd leave it turned on. Both of these to me could be software updates, if RAM cared enough to do that. Telsa still owns the market on software added features after the sale. Not sure why other OEMs aren't taking the hint. I bought an aftermarket re-programmer for a few neat features, like leaving the fog lights on and also enabling a light show (telsa like...) as well as a few other things. But that device was too buggy, so I removed it. Someone has to have the knowledge and ability to build devices to add features like this and others.
TazerDT gives you the global windows up/down feature if you want that. Which is roll windows up/down from keyfob

azzx

Reaction score
This is purely subjective feedback -- even if RAM had this feature, I disable it. It is a nuisance to me to have my doors locked when I walk away. I live in a mostly safe area.
I have the lock/unlock buttons on the front doors and also on the key fob.

Last edited:

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely a preference thing because I love my auto lock and never lock my doors on my own because of it lol

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

A much better solution is to use remote start and have the AC cool off your truck. Rolling down the windows on a hot day isn't very effective.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A much better solution is to use remote start and have the AC cool off your truck. Rolling down the windows on a hot day isn't very effective.
It's effective in letting the super heated air out of the cabin before getting it. I leave my sunroof open to vent, and front windows cracked on hot days. Then when I remote start it helps push the hot air out and A/C cools faster.

Users who are viewing this thread