5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any settings to automatically lock the door when you walk away?

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Who, exactly?
IIRC, I was just called "LAZY" by someone who couldn't be bothered to give a real answer to a real issue I'm having with my vehicle, so forgive me if I take it a LITTLE personal, that someone on here could be that selfish, arrogant, and inconsiderate.

So far, I can confirm from a quick web search that that Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Isuzu, Volvo, Mazda, BMW, Tesla, Ford, and yes, Chevy, Cadillac have this feature. When you own a vehicle that passively unlocks itself as you enter, it makes sense that it would passively re-lock itself when you leave. Apparently I'm not the only Ram owner who's bothered by this or who keeps leaving his doors unlocked.
My wife’s 2018 Volvo S90 with Passive Entry DOES NOT lock itself upon exit and neither did her previous 5 Volvos.

jljbtm

Reaction score
on my 2019 I have to push the button on the door handle or fob

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
if you had a ravelco the only way to take the truck fast would to put it on a trailer
With the keyless remote, I'm aware that there are 3 methods to steal the entire truck.
1) Break in, get to the OBD port and program a new fob.
2) Use a repeater to fool the truck into thinking my key is nearby.
3) Slide the entire thing onto a flatbed truck and drive off.

Thing is, I'm much more concerned about some teenagers or casual thieves simply going around the neighborhood and trying door handles. This is super common, my neighbor had his gun taken out of his truck and I hear about it all the time in my area. I keep some tools, photography equipment, and other tech in the truck, I'm much more worried about the doors being unlocked at night.

I'm now in the habit of pushing the handle twice, but I'm still not 100%, I come back to unlocked doors pretty frequently. In fact, this morning, I came back to this:

BtaGDZy.jpg

Luckily I only hit the plastic, and luckily I didn't drive off like that, but it's possible I'm hitting the remote in my pocket, too. I'll mention, even my 2015 Fronty has a unique security feature. If I hit the remote to unlock the doors, but I don't open any door for 1min, all of the doors will re-lock. It'll assume I unlocked it by accident.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
With the keyless remote, I'm aware that there are 3 methods to steal the entire truck.

Thing is, I'm much more concerned about some teenagers or casual thieves simply going around the neighborhood and trying door handles. This is super common, my neighbor had his gun taken out of his truck and I hear about it all the time in my area. I keep some tools, photography equipment, and other tech in the truck, I'm much more worried about the doors being unlocked at night.

I'm now in the habit of pushing the handle twice, but I'm still not 100%, I come back to unlocked doors pretty frequently. In fact, this morning, I came back to this:

BtaGDZy.jpg

Luckily I only hit the plastic, and luckily I didn't drive off like that, but it's possible I'm hitting the remote in my pocket, too. I'll mention, even my 2015 Fronty has a unique security feature. If I hit the remote to unlock the doors, but I don't open any door for 1min, all of the doors will re-lock. It'll assume I unlocked it by accident.

when my remote is not needed it is in a faraday bag at home hanging where I keep other keys, when i am out in the bag in my pocket

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
not on my big horn.
as soon as either front door is opened all doors and tailgate unlock.
That's an option on the UConnect.
I have mine set to only unlock when I hit the unlock key. My kids can't get out in back unless I hit the unlock button.
I prefer this in case I ever stop and someone trys to open my door from the outside after going into park without me knowing.

BtaGDZy.jpg

You have a 2022
#1 Isn't possible unless they have the tool from the dealership, you can't just make keys via the ODB port on a 2022s.
#2 I'm not sure this is a thing but I could be mistaken
#3 locking your truck doesn't stop someone from yanking your truck on a flatbed, how do you think people get towed in cities? Leave their cars unlocked for tow trucks to put it in neutral and grab it?

I do agree there should be an option to lock when leaving the vehicle.

My truck does lock after I unlock, my ramboxes... Ill open my driver door, hit the unlock button, open a rambox (with the driver door still open).
If I close the rambox or try to open the other one they are locked on their own (but the other doors stay unlocked)

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

BtaGDZy.jpg

Every vehicle I've owned has had a different system for locking and unlocking the doors. It usually takes a few weeks to break old habits, but eventually you'll develop muscle memory and locking you Ram will become second nature.

Why hit the lock button twice? You can hear and see the door locks retract when the truck is locked. I guess it's possible, but accidentally hitting the tailgate drop button on your fob twice in 5 seconds seems unlikely.

As much as you are struggling with the lack of this feature, I'm surprised that you didn't do your homework and ensure that your new truck had it. If I was half as annoyed as you seem to be, I'd sell the Ram and buy a different truck. Either that or I would clean out my garage, build a bigger one, or move into a house with a bigger garage. Life is way too short.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
when my remote is not needed it is in a faraday bag at home hanging where I keep other keys, when i am out in the bag in my pocket
Yea, that's my next step.

You have a 2022
#1 Isn't possible unless they have the tool from the dealership, you can't just make keys via the ODB port on a 2022s.
#2 I'm not sure this is a thing but I could be mistaken
#3 locking your truck doesn't stop someone from yanking your truck on a flatbed, how do you think people get towed in cities? Leave their cars unlocked for tow trucks to put it in neutral and grab it?
Good to know about the 2022 fix.

Like I said, there are a lot of things I can't prevent, like a full vehicle theft or even someone breaking a window, but most of these thefts require time, effort, and sometimes equipment, plus they cause a scene. I'm still much more concerned about someone casually checking door handles and stepping inside like they own it.

It's a crime of opportunity, I may as well leave a $100 bill on the seat with the window open. Coming back to an unlocked truck is not very settling.

Every vehicle I've owned has had a different system for locking and unlocking the doors. It usually takes a few weeks to break old habits, but eventually you'll develop muscle memory and locking you Ram will become second nature.

Why hit the lock button twice? You can hear and see the door locks retract when the truck is locked. I guess it's possible, but accidentally hitting the tailgate drop button on your fob twice in 5 seconds seems unlikely.

As much as you are struggling with the lack of this feature, I'm surprised that you didn't do your homework and ensure that your new truck had it. If I was half as annoyed as you seem to be, I'd sell the Ram and buy a different truck. Either that or I would clean out my garage, build a bigger one, or move into a house with a bigger garage. Life is way too short.
I get that it's about muscle memory, but it should be much more intuitive. After reading up, it seems to be a common issue, that's why so many manufacturers do it, now. When you exit your car with a physical key or key fob in your hand, it's much more intuitive to remember to lock the door before you stick the key in your pocket.

Like someone mentioned above, I like to hear the beep. It's not just hearing the door locks retract, it's knowing that all the doors are fully closed, my kids are known for not fully slamming the door. If one of the doors is cracked/open, the door locks will still retract on the 1st push, but you won't get a beep on the 2nd.

Lastly, it's simply not something I would have researched or think to research. It's an inconvenience, and one that only came up through regular use. You're offering solutions that are not well thought through:
I'm not going to sell my brand new Ram over passive locking.
I don't have a garage.....at all....nothing to clean out.
I don't have the land to build a garage, but trust me, I would LOVE to build one....not just for door locks
My truck isn't always at home, it's at work, parking lots, parking garages, friends houses, etc. My truck still has to lock.

Again, I'll get used to it. It's mainly an issue of ergonomics and obvious design, especially when the solution is so simple it could literally be solved with an OTA update.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I get that it's about muscle memory, but it should be much more intuitive. After reading up, it seems to be a common issue, that's why so many manufacturers do it, now. When you exit your car with a physical key or key fob in your hand, it's much more intuitive to remember to lock the door before you stick the key in your pocket.

Like someone mentioned above, I like to hear the beep. It's not just hearing the door locks retract, it's knowing that all the doors are fully closed, my kids are known for not fully slamming the door. If one of the doors is cracked/open, the door locks will still retract on the 1st push, but you won't get a beep on the 2nd.

Again, I'll get used to it. It's mainly an issue of ergonomics and obvious design, especially when the solution is so simple it could literally be solved with an OTA update.
OTA updates don't give you extra functionality, this is not a Tesla that comes out and we beta test while deploy features that were promised from the start it is what it is and they fix bugs.

As far as muscle memory and a key in you hand, you can lock your truck just by hitting the button on the outside handle no fob needed.
Do you not close your door when you exit? Put your hand on the handle as you close it and hit the button that locks it, and I have mine programmed to honk like a regular fob but I don't need to take the fob out of my pocket.

Same action as going in truck, my doors don't open by themselves, do yours?

We get it you wish the feature existed, but it doesn't on a Ram.
You have bigger programs if you are triggering your remote drop tailgate, you should look at how you carry your keys\fobs and make adjustments, I just gt a KeyBar I can hang in my pocket since I don't really USE that many keys that I actually have and I can hit my remote start in my pocket without removing the fob.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yea, that's my next step.

Good to know about the 2022 fix.

Like I said, there are a lot of things I can't prevent, like a full vehicle theft or even someone breaking a window, but most of these thefts require time, effort, and sometimes equipment, plus they cause a scene. I'm still much more concerned about someone casually checking door handles and stepping inside like they own it.

It's a crime of opportunity, I may as well leave a $100 bill on the seat with the window open. Coming back to an unlocked truck is not very settling.

Lastly, it's simply not something I would have researched or think to research. It's an inconvenience, and one that only came up through regular use. You're offering solutions that are not well thought through:
I'm not going to sell my brand new Ram over passive locking.
I don't have a garage.....at all....nothing to clean out.
I don't have the land to build a garage, but trust me, I would LOVE to build one....not just for door locks
My truck isn't always at home, it's at work, parking lots, parking garages, friends houses, etc. My truck still has to lock.

The most logical solutions are to accept your truck the way it is and learn to be less paranoid. You're not there yet, so I figured sarcasm was appropriate. 🤣

couchking79

Reaction score
I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed. Especially at $70-80k for Limiteds.

My 2013 Cadillac XTS ( Premium) had it and my 2017 Buick Lacrosse (middle trim) has it.

Although my fiance's 2019 Nissan doesn't have it (luxury trim).

KaptKirk

Reaction score
I have passive entry and as you all know, it unlocks the door when you grab the handle and re-locks when you push the little button on the handle.
Problem is, I keep forgetting to lock the doors when I walk away. Without a key fob in my hand, I'm not inclined to press the lock button (like I've done for 20 years).

My Mazda CX-5 had a neat trick. If the vehicle is off and you've exited/closed all the doors, the car would check if you're nearby.
It would chirp once to let me know that all the doors are closed, and if I walk away, it would chirp again to let me know it locked all the doors.

Does the Ram have a walk-away features that will automatically lock the doors when I leave?
Or at the very least, could it time-out and lock the doors if there is no key fob detected after a certain amount of time?

I keep leaving my doors unlocked, and eventually I'm going to get sh*t stolen.

(waiting for the wise people to tell me to just remember to lock my doors)
I just bought my truck a couple of days ago and was wondering the same thing. As far as I can tell from the owner's manual...you have to either push the button on the door handle or use the key fob.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I just bought my truck a couple of days ago and was wondering the same thing. As far as I can tell from the owner's manual...you have to either push the button on the door handle or use the key fob.
Correct

6of36

Reaction score
I'm glad they don't. There are plenty of times I have gone in the house and left my keys, then want to get in my truck and not have my keys. I don't want it locking itself if I have to run in someplace for a second. If they ever do add it, I hope they make it possible to turn on and off.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who could imagine that either hitting lock on the door panel as you exit, or hitting the button on the outside or gasp hit the lock on the fob would inconvenience so many people lol. Lazy spoiled times we live in!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who could imagine that either hitting lock on the door panel as you exit, or hitting the button on the outside or gasp hit the lock on the fob would inconvenience so many people lol. Lazy spoiled times we live in!!
Haha old habits can be hard to break I guess. I had that feature on my previous car that I owned for 7 or 8 years and I did actually like it. At the same time, I haven't really missed it at all since buying the Ram. I did forget to lock my truck up one night, and it was hit by a group of kids breaking into vehicles. I keep nothing of value in my truck so nothing really lost there, but in that instance, the auto lock feature probably would have saved me.

It was a feature that I learned to like, but not one that I would lose any sleep over. The truck is superior in just about every way imaginable, so I can live with pressing a button to lock the doors!

Users who are viewing this thread