5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any settings to automatically lock the door when you walk away?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I have passive entry and as you all know, it unlocks the door when you grab the handle and re-locks when you push the little button on the handle.
Problem is, I keep forgetting to lock the doors when I walk away. Without a key fob in my hand, I'm not inclined to press the lock button (like I've done for 20 years).

My Mazda CX-5 had a neat trick. If the vehicle is off and you've exited/closed all the doors, the car would check if you're nearby.
It would chirp once to let me know that all the doors are closed, and if I walk away, it would chirp again to let me know it locked all the doors.

Does the Ram have a walk-away features that will automatically lock the doors when I leave?
Or at the very least, could it time-out and lock the doors if there is no key fob detected after a certain amount of time?

I keep leaving my doors unlocked, and eventually I'm going to get sh*t stolen.

(waiting for the wise people to tell me to just remember to lock my doors)

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Never mind. I changed my search from Auto-Lock to Walk-Away and I got this thread:

Islander

Reaction score
Interesting...So I have a 2022 Big Horn with Fob entry. When I turn off the ignition, grab the FOB and step out of the truck all the doors are locked.

However, it also locks the tailgate so I then have to hit open on the Fob to get stuff from the bed...and then hit the lock button to lock the truck.

Is this normal? It's been like that since I got the truck.

Or is it that the truck auto-locked when I first got in and started driving ...and then when I exited it was already locked in the first place?

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 2020. My doors dont auto lock unless that's a setting that I've since forgotten about. As far as the tailgate, my tailgate unlocks, just like the front doors, when I touch it with the fob on my person.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting...So I have a 2022 Big Horn with Fob entry. When I turn off the ignition, grab the FOB and step out of the truck all the doors are locked.

However, it also locks the tailgate so I then have to hit open on the Fob to get stuff from the bed...and then hit the lock button to lock the truck.

Or is it that the truck auto-locked when I first got in and started driving ...and then when I exited it was already locked in the first place?
Yes all the doors lock while you’re driving including the tailgate .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The driver's door should unlock when you pull handle from inside, otherwise you would not be able to exit the vehicle. All other doors will stay locked.

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
Problem is, I keep forgetting to lock the doors when I walk away. Without a key fob in my hand, I'm not inclined to press the lock button (like I've done for 20 years).

(waiting for the wise people to tell me to just remember to lock my doors)
You did it for 20 years, stop being lazy and expecting your magic truck to do EVERYTHING for you, just push the door lock button, conveniently located at the end of the switch group on the drivers side door armrest, when you exit the truck.

Dave

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
You did it for 20 years, stop being lazy and expecting your magic truck to do EVERYTHING for you, just push the door lock button, conveniently located at the end of the switch group on the drivers side door armrest, when you exit the truck.

Dave
Thanks for the unhelpful and expected post.

Technology changes to make things more convenient, but in doing so, they break certain habits and create new problems. Keeping my truck unlocked all night, left outside in suburbia is not ideal, it would be F*cking GREAT if Ram did what every other manufacturer did and designed a walk-away lock system to help secure my truck, just in case I forget. Other manufacturers caught this fluke and designed a solution, Ram apparently did not.

It's not a matter of intentional LAZINESS, nor am I looking to continue being LAZY, but hopefully you can see around your self-centered arrogance and realize this is a real godd*mn problem. This problem, caused by habit could cost me a $60,000 truck or my belongings inside, so I would really appreciate some REAL responses, not some arrogant idiots coming in hot like an entitled prick.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the unhelpful and expected post.

Technology changes to make things more convenient, but in doing so, they break certain habits and create new problems. Keeping my truck unlocked all night, left outside in suburbia is not ideal, it would be F*cking GREAT if Ram did what every other manufacturer did and designed a walk-away lock system to help secure my truck, just in case I forget. Other manufacturers caught this fluke and designed a solution, Ram apparently did not.

It's not a matter of intentional LAZINESS, nor am I looking to continue being LAZY, but hopefully you can see around your self-centered arrogance and realize this is a real godd*mn problem. This problem, caused by habit could cost me a $60,000 truck or my belongings inside, so I would really appreciate some REAL responses, not some arrogant idiots coming in hot like an entitled prick.
Tone it down a little. And not every manufacturer has self locking doors. My wife's 2020 Chevy Traverse doesn't. If you don't touch the door handle button, or hit lock on keyfob the doors don't lock. Only vehicle I have ever driven that has done it is my 2002 Volvo S60. And then, it will only relock the doors if you don't open one within 2 minutes of unlocking the car. It doesn't lock them if you drive it, shut it off and walk away.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is pretty disappointing that the Rams don’t have this feature. My $27k ‘19 honda accord had it, and when I bought the Ram, I wrongly assumed it had it also.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Huh I never knew this was a thing. No new vehicle I ever owned had this feature.

Glad the ram doesn’t have it. That would get annoying for those who keep their vehicle unlocked.

As far as unlocking the door when you pull the handle. A lot of vehicles don’t operate that way ether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Tone it down a little.
Who, exactly?
IIRC, I was just called "LAZY" by someone who couldn't be bothered to give a real answer to a real issue I'm having with my vehicle, so forgive me if I take it a LITTLE personal, that someone on here could be that selfish, arrogant, and inconsiderate.

So far, I can confirm from a quick web search that that Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Isuzu, Volvo, Mazda, BMW, Tesla, Ford, and yes, Chevy, Cadillac have this feature. When you own a vehicle that passively unlocks itself as you enter, it makes sense that it would passively re-lock itself when you leave. Apparently I'm not the only Ram owner who's bothered by this or who keeps leaving his doors unlocked.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Glad the ram doesn’t have it. That would get annoying for those who keep their vehicle unlocked.
I mean, if you live out in the middle of nowhere, sure, have at it. I couldn't imagine leaving my vehicle unlocked for any extended amount of time.

And for the record, it wouldn't be annoying, you probably wouldn't even notice it. When the car is off and the doors are closed, it detects that you (and the key fob) are leaving and it locks when you're about 5-10 feet away. When you approach and grab the handle to open the door, it unlocks. It's not possible you would be annoyed, because aside from the sound of the door locks, you'd be none the wiser.

...and yes, you can turn it off.

As far as unlocking the door when you pull the handle. A lot of vehicles don’t operate that way ether.
Actually, they do, it's called passive entry, that's the whole point.

Passive entry unlocks the vehicle, either when you're near or when you grab the handle.
Passive exit re-locks the vehicle, either when you walk away or when you touch something outside the car.

Most manufacturers have the walk-away feature with passive remotes, because it is very common for people with passive entry/exit to forget to re-touch their car as they leave and it's the #1 reason most modern cars are broken into. Not by smashing, but by checking to see if it's unlocked.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't aware this was an OE option from any manufacturer, however it's been around for years in the aftermarket. I wouldn't mind if it was something I could turn on and off. I had a Viper alarm with window control on a new 03 F150. After a certain amount of time it would roll up the windows and lock the doors.

I've just gotten used to pushing the button on the handle. I don't ever take my keys out of my pocket and rarely my phone with UC5.

I watched an older gentleman having trouble locking his Buick. He kept putting his hand in the handle and pushing the button. I finally told him he couldn't put his hand in there while trying to lock it. He said, "Don't worry. I got it". So, he put his index finger in there and kept trying. Then got in started it and started to walk away. I finally gave up and left.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Mazda3 had the auto lock feature and I will admit that I learned to love it. It could be enabled or disabled in the vehicle settings so it wasn't something you had to keep active if you didn't want it. But Like the OP stated, it was just one of those additional creature comfort features that you learned to depend on without really thinking of it otherwise. After adding passive entry to my Ram, i'll admit that it took me a little while to remember to physically lock my doors after parking at first, but after a few weeks it became normal routine. I think the auto lock is a nice feature to have available, but I wouldn't claim it necessary.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
In the garage, at a concert or game when tail gating the truck would keep locking and you would have to keep unlocking it if some one wanted to grab something from the cab. Or at a job site. I can think of sever scenarios where it wouldn’t be ideal.

And I was talking about the door unlocking when you pull the handle from the inside. Not passive entry.

I owned three new gm trucks. None of them did it. Unless it was a feature recently added in the past two years.

Ether way contact ram and air your grievances. Maybe they will add it in the next decade. As long as it can be turned on or off.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking about the door unlocking when you pull the handle from the inside. Not passive entry.

And I owned three new gm trucks. None of them did it. Unless it was a feature recently added in the past two years.

Ether way contact ram and air your grievances. Maybe they will add it in the next decade.
I’m going to start investigating adding features (almost like the tazer), and my first project will be seeing if auto-lock when walking away is possible. I have no idea how long it will take to figure out though. The plan is to start research this evening.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who, exactly?
IIRC, I was just called "LAZY" by someone who couldn't be bothered to give a real answer to a real issue I'm having with my vehicle, so forgive me if I take it a LITTLE personal, that someone on here could be that selfish, arrogant, and inconsiderate.

So far, I can confirm from a quick web search that that Honda, Acura, Hyundai, Kia, Isuzu, Volvo, Mazda, BMW, Tesla, Ford, and yes, Chevy, Cadillac have this feature. When you own a vehicle that passively unlocks itself as you enter, it makes sense that it would passively re-lock itself when you leave. Apparently I'm not the only Ram owner who's bothered by this or who keeps leaving his doors unlocked.
I own a 2020 Chevy with passive entry. So unless it's something they just started adding in the last two model years, not all Chevys have that feature. And even passive entry, you still have to push the button on door handle to unlock the doors.

It's something you can get used to doing. Just like you had to get used to every other price of technology that has been added over the years. It wasn't all that long ago that keyless entry using a keyfob wasnt a standard feature, had to be added to orders, and cost extra.

I can see the benefits of it, but can also see how it can be annoying in some situations, and would probably be something i would turn off if possible. My Volvo that relocks the doors after a couple minutes if you don't open the door is annoying to me. And that's just a school car for my kids that I barely drive. But it doesn't have passive entry, so I have to reach in my pocket and hit the button on fob again.

And yes, you can tone it down. There is no reason to get beligerant.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The driver's door should unlock when you pull handle from inside, otherwise you would not be able to exit the vehicle. All other doors will stay locked.
not on my big horn.
as soon as either front door is opened all doors and tailgate unlock.

fixed it and now only drivers unlocks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread