5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any risk to leaving the dealer plastic on the glove box door?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something like this

Thanks! That's *exactly* what I need. That's why I left the plastic from the dealer on there, but if I can buy that kind of stuff and just replace it when it gets a mess that would be great. It's not like I want to wrap my whole truck in plastic; I just know from having a work truck that a couple key areas get all tore up, which is why I have a cover on the center console and seat covers on the seats :)

Where do you get that stuff? I can't follow any links right now.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine’s sister did this exact same thing on a Ford Ranger years ago. It ended up creating permanent marks when she removed them years later. Looked like crap! She thought it would maintain value....

As for the Italian thing. My grandma is 100% Italian and yes, she had the “parlor” where everything was wrapped in plastic. We were never allowed to go in that room. Lol.

machz

Reaction score
For sale, Ram Truck with pristine glove box still in original wrapper :)

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks! That's *exactly* what I need. That's why I left the plastic from the dealer on there, but if I can buy that kind of stuff and just replace it when it gets a mess that would be great. It's not like I want to wrap my whole truck in plastic; I just know from having a work truck that a couple key areas get all tore up, which is why I have a cover on the center console and seat covers on the seats :)

Where do you get that stuff? I can't follow any links right now.

You can buy it on amazon and probably tons of other places. There are a number of diff manufacturers. 3M is a big one. Xpel. Do some searching and watch some YouTube vids. The stuff is tricky to learn to work with but not impossible. Cutting it exactly (using a plotter) is the hardest part but then you need to work with some soapy water and a squeegee. You might want to check some of your local detail shops that do exterior clearbra/ppf and ask them if they can do it and what they would charge. Tell them you want it to be inexpensive. They are experienced with the stuff and it would be far easier for them and probably look tons better. They can probably also download the interior schematics and put the exact dimensions on the plotter to cut the pieces precisely.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some on my 2014 on the center console, that said not sure how easy it is to remove from interior panels, as it is made for exterior paint. Not sure if it would pull the paint off the interior or not if you had to take it off.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Starting to sound a little OCD to me. Just wrap the whole inside and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mine’s sister did this exact same thing on a Ford Ranger years ago. It ended up creating permanent marks when she removed them years later. Looked like crap! She thought it would maintain value....

As for the Italian thing. My grandma is 100% Italian and yes, she had the “parlor” where everything was wrapped in plastic. We were never allowed to go in that room. Lol.
Thanks for that - it's something to keep in mind for sure. I think I'm going to go the route mentioned above with the 3M, whether I can get a local shop to apply it or just do it myself. That is probably more suitable for my purposes and I'm guessing because it's more transparent it will look better.

As for the other guys that don't see the point, I suppose someone else could say the same thing to them regarding waxing the vehicle, getting dents or scratches repaired, or lots of other things that are just cosmetic in nature. I'm not looking to have the truck sit in a bubble - but my truck is used for work, and when it's not working I'd like it to look halfway decent. Guys who have parking lot queens that the most their truck might see is a bag of mulch from Home Depot, well sure I can see how they would think leaving clear film over vulnerable parts of the interior is overkill - but have them have guys getting in and out with tool belts, supplies, plus the wife & her pocketbooks, and I think you'd see it a lot differently. I didn't buy a $40k truck to have it looking like **** 3 months into it; if I wanted that, I would have just bought a $4k truck :D

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting to sound a little OCD to me. Just wrap the whole inside and be done with it.

Hmmm...

BobbyofWindsor:I have a dash cam that I want to hard wire in. Were is the interior fuses located?

Post some pics please I've been thinking about getting one and would like to see the best way to run the wire.
Why not just run the wire down the dash? Sounds a little OCD to me. Also, why do you even need a dash cam? THAT sounds a lot OCD to me. :D
See how that works? Everyone has their issues. Even whetrick1. I won't crap on your dash cam if you don't crap on my glove box film ;)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can buy it on amazon and probably tons of other places. There are a number of diff manufacturers. 3M is a big one. Xpel. Do some searching and watch some YouTube vids. The stuff is tricky to learn to work with but not impossible. Cutting it exactly (using a plotter) is the hardest part but then you need to work with some soapy water and a squeegee. You might want to check some of your local detail shops that do exterior clearbra/ppf and ask them if they can do it and what they would charge. Tell them you want it to be inexpensive. They are experienced with the stuff and it would be far easier for them and probably look tons better. They can probably also download the interior schematics and put the exact dimensions on the plotter to cut the pieces precisely.
Thanks! I do have a local shop that I can call; perhaps they can cut me half a dozen pieces or so. I really only worry about the glove box door, though I suppose if I had someone cutting it I'd probably have them cut the lower half of each door as well, which tend to really get beat to death with work boots.

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Not sure why. Should work fine. I’ve already done it to my Ram on the glovebox area. My son drags his backpack in and out for school. Next time I’ll shoot a vid of the repair. It works though.

Not sure why. Should work fine. I’ve already done it to my Ram on the glovebox area. My son drags his backpack in and out for school. Next time I’ll shoot a vid of the repair. It works though.
We waiting for that video of the repair please
Thank you

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Hey I wasn't crapping on anything I just simply said it sounded a little OCD to me. Me it's when I mod something on my truck. Like my oil catch can.My OCD kicks in see pics below. lol
407ebf8e05c28897d9866fe9bea82230.jpg
47e23482a3bad537f5abf140ebfeab0d.jpg
0b366404f4c64797eef83673cb73105a.jpg
347363a99f661c646e9219a5a1955c63.jpg

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let’s find a real solution. How on earth do people scratch that area?
I don't think people mean it, but like I said when you have guys with toolbelts, multi tools, etc getting in and out it's just going to happen. Also I noticed the area between the seat and dashboard is smaller than in the Titan, so I expect it will happen even more so.

Users who are viewing this thread