5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any PDR guys on here?

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Got tagged at the grocery store today even though I parked in BFE. Just curious as to whether or not this is a PDR situation given that it’s on the “seam”

Attachments

• FB1205D2-EE1A-47FB-9362-A66597331B5F.jpeg
    FB1205D2-EE1A-47FB-9362-A66597331B5F.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 99F0EC0C-272C-46F1-AE3A-617C479BB3B2.jpeg
    99F0EC0C-272C-46F1-AE3A-617C479BB3B2.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 150

kdawg

Reaction score
Dude that really sucks. Almost makes you wonder if someone was jealous and did that on purpose.

Thankfully PDR technicians can perform magic even on a body line like that. Just search for a highly rated one near you and I'm sure they can fix it no time and you'll never notice the dent was there. Sometimes a good PDR tech is hard to find and you may need to ask a good detailer as they typically have someone they rely on.

2bigalow

Reaction score
Completely fixable by PDR. I had an asshat do the same to my RAM in the Home Depot parking lot. Same place and about the same depth on the seam. Our local PDR guy removed it no problem.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Completely fixable by PDR. I had an asshat do the same to my RAM in the Home Depot parking lot. Same place and about the same depth on the seam. Our local PDR guy removed it no problem.
Encouraging for sure, just because full on body shop is a PITA. must have been a cart for both of us, as it was the same height. Safe to assume it’s in the $500 range?

Just a truck, life will go on, and we are fortunate to have this. Still frustrating

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Problem in that spot is its nearly impossible to impossible to reach from the inside as there is a cross member in that spot. Has to be done from exterior which is harder to get perfect

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Encouraging for sure, just because full on body shop is a PITA. must have been a cart for both of us, as it was the same height. Safe to assume it’s in the $500 range?

Just a truck, life will go on, and we are fortunate to have this. Still frustrating
It should be around $200 depending on where you live. That’s a tiny dent that doesn’t have a severe crease.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a similar one on a different vehicle, it was about $100 or so, though this was about 5 years ago. It's really about access, but some have a puller type tool where getting from behind isn't as important.

Just get a quote for the best rated PDR shops in your location, use Yelp to compare them and get at least two quotes. Most can do a quote with just a cell phone pic.

2bigalow

Reaction score

$225 for the repair. Long story, but the damage was from a day laborer waiting in his car. It was a windy day, so I assume the wind caught his door and blew it into my truck. He was gone when I can out of the store, but my luck changed when I went back to pick up more supplies and saw him parked in a new spot... Needless to say he had no money to pay for the damage, but he got one hell of an *** chewing.
Venting my frustration at this asshat felt sooo good.

Last edited:

2bigalow

Reaction score
Problem in that spot is its nearly impossible to impossible to reach from the inside as there is a cross member in that spot. Has to be done from exterior which is harder to get perfect
True statement. My PDR guy said he would need to drill a small hole in the door jamb for the above reason. I looked to see where the hole was, but couldn't find it, so it must be under the weather seal.

quenton2355

Reaction score
Got tagged at the grocery store today even though I parked in BFE. Just curious as to whether or not this is a PDR situation given that it’s on the “seam”

I had that exact situation happen to me. I went to a highly rated PDR guy and he let me stand there and watch. no holes or anything. he used these long flat tools to push the dent out from the inside then lightly hammered it back into place on the outside. turned out perfect. i think it was 300 ish dollars to do. this was on my 2019 ram.

Last edited:

Rick J

Reaction score
I have a similar dent. Local PDR guy told me he would do his best but wouldn't be able to get it all. Said it would take him all day and wanted $600.00 20220531_093002 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Rick J

Reaction score
How did you resolve it?
I haven't. Just took the picture today. I'm trying to decide if I want to give the PDR guy a shot. If I take it to a body shop, painting will probably be required and I really don't want a painted section on my truck, even though it would probably be fine.

I the mid 80's I lived East of San Francisco. I had an F150 that the hood was damaged and repainted by the dealer. It looked fine. Then, helicopters flew over spraying everything for the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The original paint on the truck was fine but the paint on the hood was destroyed. Since then, I've been a little paranoid about repaints.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I haven't. Just took the picture today. I'm trying to decide if I want to give the PDR guy a shot. If I take it to a body shop, painting will probably be required and I really don't want a painted section on my truck, even though it would probably be fine.

I the mid 80's I lived East of San Francisco. I had an F150 that the hood was damaged and repainted by the dealer. It looked fine. Then, helicopters flew over spraying everything for the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The original paint on the truck was fine but the paint on the hood was destroyed. Since then, I've been a little paranoid about repaints.
Agreed, would like to avoid paint as well - especially with a metallic which is hard to match. I did notice a small chip, some touch up will be required. In any case , called a PDR place today but did not get a return call

kdawg

Reaction score

I would try to get an estimate from another PDR guy. The price seems high and his lack of confidence makes me nervous.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
So, the journey started today.

First up, a referral. The lady was super nice, said $175 and a few hours would have it damn near perfect. However she had to drill a hole in the door jam. She did say they could do conventional, but it would be filler + paint that I probably wouldn't' like.

I called another referral who is out of town, he said he could likely do it based on pix and would only offer drilling if I was looking to save money.

A quick search tells me that I may be able to avoid drilling. I found this local article, and contacted the testing facility to see if I could get a referral.

It is no doubt an art, and finding the right guy or gal is key.

Fingers crossed.

79 300

Reaction score
I had a small ding fixed in my passenger front door with PDR at a local shop. They used a glue puller device to pull it out, then tapped it down to level it. No drilling required. It cost around $100 and they got it perfect. My truck is black so anything less than perfect would show. I had them pull some of the infamous" roof dents' on my Dodge Challenger the same way. Ask these shops if they can use this method to avoid drilling.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, of the top rated PDR shops in my area don't drill, they use a glue puller device for dings they can't access from the back-end.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drilling to PDR a dent... Nope nope. Keep shopping around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread