5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any information on 6th gen HD trucks ?

Bad Notch

Reaction score
I have been looking around but have found no news on the 6th gen HD trucks. Does anyone have any insight ?

I really want to get back into a Cummins but really hoping they ditch the 68RFE in favor of anything else.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Current HD is considered a 4.5 Gen.

4th Gen cab with a half baked 5th gen interior refresh and a new skin. Mostly looks, still has 4th gen seat frames and a humpty floor.

Most everything else is new. New frame, new brakes, CGI Cummins, etc.

Believe me, everyone on HDRAMS.COM and every other HD Ram/Cummins site is wondering the same. You should join the sister site if you haven't already.

Still no word on a new trans other than the same old rumors of a 8 or 9 speed ZF Powerline based solely on a POC development video ZF did with an 8-speed ZF behind a Cummins some years back.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
I had a turned up 2018 2500 Cummins truck a few years back. Now currently in a 21 Limited with Eco Diesel which I will likely get rid of early Summer. More than anything, I want a Cummins truck with something better than the Aisin or 68RFE.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
While we're all wishing, here is my wishlist:
  • cummins making about 650 to 700 lb/ft torque, tuned for high fuel efficiency and power under the curve rather than peak numbers. def usage would probably drop under this scenario as well
  • 8 speed ZF transmission
  • 2500 with 2800+ pounds of payload
  • flat floor and bigger cab
  • reworked front end, I find the current front end especially in chrome to be a little gaudy. The paint matched bumpers look better
  • better suspension, specifically that side to side motion is far too squishy compared to the competition, due to use of inboard coil springs.
  • big horn trim at no more than $50k

Not asking for too much am I?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the now rumored Duramax 8.3L claims of hitting 600HP/1200 lb.ft. and Ford doing 500/1200, there's not going to be any smaller numbers.

silver billet

Reaction score
With the now rumored Duramax 8.3L claims of hitting 600HP/1200 lb.ft. and Ford doing 500/1200, there's not going to be any smaller numbers.

Agree, it's never going to happen that they release a smaller diesel tuned for lighter use cases and fuel efficiency. Gassers are creeping up to those numbers as it is. But that would be ideal for me and I suspect it would meet a lot of towing needs especially for RVers looking for a little upgrade over a 1500.

First I hear about an 8.3 though. That would be interesting considering GM's been talking about how they won't play the HP game anymore and their latest dmax is tuned for like 25% more power under the curve etc etc.

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Where is this 8.3L Duramax being talked about ? Would be nuts if they brought this to market and put it in a 3/4 or 1ton chassis.

I do agree with Silver Billet. a 1500 is a little too small and a beefed up 2500 is a little too big. My last Cummins truck was a non HO with highway gears. I deleted and tuned it from pretty much new. Ran awesome and pulled everything easily. Even averaged 22 mpg unloaded. I really regret selling it.

silver billet

Reaction score
Where is this 8.3L Duramax being talked about ? Would be nuts if they brought this to market and put it in a 3/4 or 1ton chassis.

I do agree with Silver Billet. a 1500 is a little too small and a beefed up 2500 is a little too big. My last Cummins truck was a non HO with highway gears. I deleted and tuned it from pretty much new. Ran awesome and pulled everything easily. Even averaged 22 mpg unloaded. I really regret selling it.

TFL is talking about it. I'm not so sure I'd believe their speculations at this point, but anything is possible I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread