5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Ideas?

bigdodge20

Reaction score
2018 1500 5.7L 38.2k miles with strange "knocking" or "ticking" sounds more toward the bottom end, but not rhythmic. I have a video but file is too large to upload, would send in email if interested. All started after dealship replaced a CV axel for split boot. 2 weeks after that two tappets collapsed, they then replaced the two tappets and cam. Now I get horrible fuel economy, like 9mpg - 10mpg, truck feels like it lost power. Taken back to dealship several times and an independent mechanic, claims they can't find anything wrong. I respect my truck and drive normal, not rodding the **** out of it. Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2018 1500 5.7L 38.2k miles with strange "knocking" or "ticking" sounds more toward the bottom end, but not rhythmic. I have a video but file is too large to upload, would send in email if interested. All started after dealship replaced a CV axel for split boot. 2 weeks after that two tappets collapsed, they then replaced the two tappets and cam. Now I get horrible fuel economy, like 9mpg - 10mpg, truck feels like it lost power. Taken back to dealship several times and an independent mechanic, claims they can't find anything wrong. I respect my truck and drive normal, not rodding the **** out of it. Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated.
First off, a 2018 is a 4th gen, but the engine is the same.

If the dealer replaced the cam, I would assume it's because the bad lifters damaged the cam. Meaning there was metal that was in the oil. Which could have potentially damaged bearings throughout the engine. I'd put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the truck, since the oil pressure displayed in EVIC isnt the true oil pressure. And see what your oil pressure is. Could also have other lifters that are bad.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the process of replacing the camsaft, they may have got the timing wrong. Being off one tooth would hurt power and mileage, and be hard to diagnose unless you're looking for it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

We'd like to hear more about this. Would you mind sending us a direct message with some more information about what you're experiencing. We'd love to get connected with your dealer to help repair this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of replacing the camsaft, they may have got the timing wrong. Being off one tooth would hurt power and mileage, and be hard to diagnose unless you're looking for it.
I agree with this

bigdodge20

Reaction score
Ok so, sorry for post on 5th gen with a 4th, didn't know where else to turn. Also, I really appreciate the help with possible solutions. Gives me something to go on. Like I said though, if interested in what I'm talking about, I have videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online