5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any good methods to buff out some "desert pinstriping"?

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Took the Rebel off-roading this weekend, and it's a big truck I took in some places that weren't quite that big. Got some branch scrapes along the sides. Nothing terrible, but they're visible. Anyone had any luck with fillers or swirl removers for stuff like this?

Side note: I know it's a truck that I intend to beat up over time with use, but I like that it looks nice in my driveway, too.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have tried those in the past for my off-road pinstriping. They are a patch at best to temp fill the scratch so you don't see it.

I've had some luck with fine or medium cut cleaners followed with polish and wax. The rub is that you are basically sanding down your clearcoat to smooth it out.

I had to take my truck to a body shop for a tire blowout and they replaced a quarter panel. That left one great looking body panel and the rest had scratches from off-roading. The shop offered me a reasonable price for their paint guy to clean the finish to get rid of the scratches on that side since they already had it. I asked about the other side and they gave me a good deal to do the other side during the holidays. They told me work is pretty scarce around Christmas-time so I brought my truck back a couple of months later for them the "buff out" the other side.

I would never have thought to check with some local body shops for that kind of work if I didn't have the blowout. If I get to the point that scratches bother me on this truck I am going to go that route again. It was top notch work.

I'd recommend finding out who the recommended shops are around you and call a few and see what they say. Never hurts.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
They only hurt the 1st few times you go offroad and get them, You can wax them but next time wheeling you'll get them again.
Offroad more often and wear your pinstripes with pride :) they clean out nicely with just water and soap, i stop bothering trying to get them out in full long, looonnggggggg time ago.

Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

After a twice a month bath she cleans up nicely

The day i'll sell the truck will be the day i'd really bother with a full dept waxing job.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Benca101

Reaction score
They only hurt the 1st few times you go offroad and get them, You can wax them but next time wheeling you'll get them again.
Offroad more often and wear your pinstripes with pride :) they clean out nicely with just water and soap, i stop bothering trying to get them out in full long, looonnggggggg time ago.

The day i'll sell the truck will be the day i'd really bother with a full dept waxing job.

Have fun.

i applaud the street cred and the manhood.

clean, shiny trucks are for.. for... I don’t know, but put an insult here.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score

After a twice a month bath she cleans up nicely

Have fun.
I appreciate this. Likely the road I'm going down. As I said, it's a truck, and I plan to use it.

Gozar

Reaction score
You forgot to add the first step: design a time machine. :)

Ok, sorry..

Find a reputable detailing shop and have them buffed out, THEN get a ceramic coat for future protection, worth every penny.
Cant avoid them but you can make it easier to get them lessened..

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that a ceramic coating would have prevented those scratches?

No coating will prevent rock chips, prevent a key scratch, etc. A clear bra is almost twice as thick as the thickest coating claim, and the only way to prevent damage is for the sacrificial layer (clean bra or coating) to absorb that impact.

The claim of 10H Hardness is a little misplaced as well as it is not stated upon which scale, so many think to the more commonly know Mohs scale, which would mean it is as hard as a diamond. While that would be amazing, it is tested on the Pencil Hardness scale, meaning it is as hard as the most durable pencil lead. Still durable don’t get me wrong, but that deliberately left out piece of info can be pretty misleading.

So how does it prevent scratching? In a very specific way. A ceramic coating will make the surface of the paint extremely slick and create high water contact angles. What this does it allow the dirt and debris on your paint to be less embedded in the paint, meaning it takes less effort to remove, thus less chance for that debris to damage the paint when removing. Also, less debris will stick the paint overall, again reducing the change for scratching.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I had some forest pin stripes that were caused by some smaller alder trees growing up along a Forest Service Road. I have had really good luck using Griot's Garage Complete Compound.

Gozar

Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that a ceramic coating would have prevented those scratches?

No coating will prevent rock chips, prevent a key scratch, etc. A clear bra is almost twice as thick as the thickest coating claim, and the only way to prevent damage is for the sacrificial layer (clean bra or coating) to absorb that impact.

The claim of 10H Hardness is a little misplaced as well as it is not stated upon which scale, so many think to the more commonly know Mohs scale, which would mean it is as hard as a diamond. While that would be amazing, it is tested on the Pencil Hardness scale, meaning it is as hard as the most durable pencil lead. Still durable don’t get me wrong, but that deliberately left out piece of info can be pretty misleading.

So how does it prevent scratching? In a very specific way. A ceramic coating will make the surface of the paint extremely slick and create high water contact angles. What this does it allow the dirt and debris on your paint to be less embedded in the paint, meaning it takes less effort to remove, thus less chance for that debris to damage the paint when removing. Also, less debris will stick the paint overall, again reducing the change for scratching.
I don't think ceramic would prevent them, but it adds a layer that could/and did make them easier to buff out - if they are not down to the paint.
I got some nice forest striping on my Granite Crystal all down the passenger side, and they buffed out nicely, paint still looks brand new.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I just cleaned up mine. I used a fine cut compound and microfiber towels. Took out 95% of them and the other 5% you have to know where to look.

ALSHEKAILI

Reaction score
Use PPF and you are good. wont need more than a heat gun to recover the scratches.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I just cleaned up mine. I used a fine cut compound and microfiber towels. Took out 95% of them and the other 5% you have to know where to look.
What compound did you use? Did you do it all by hand? Looking to detail her a bit before winter.

Cease11

Reaction score
best thing is just have someone buff them out. I’ll do 3-4 off road trips before I decide to get them off

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/