5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

Rau

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention. When I travel between states or even in Texas where I live now there is an option to get fuel for better price than 200-300 mile ahead.
I realized it on my trip to Wyoming. I could fill up my tank for 50 cents cheaper in some states compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My previous truck had the 23 gallon tank, and I hated it. It's a big part of why I upgraded my truck, and definitely wouldn't buy a truck with anything less than 33 gallons. And if you don't like filling the tank from empty, just fill it up before it gets to 1/4 tank. I have zero regrets about getting the 33 gallon tank, and love having 500 miles range with a Hemi.

Derek916

Reaction score
Less payload and apparently if you go eTorque you can select 26G for free

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all, its what I suspected. One thing to note...it appears with the E-Torque "upgrade" I'd loose 3 gallons from 26 to 23 gallons to the default tank. 23 gallons just feels like not much for a truck. Part of me wonders if that is part of how they get that 1 or 2 extra MPG out of it through whatever weight savings/payload they get out of the smaller tank.
Just as an aside, etorque and 33 gal. tank are compatible. Have it, love it.

Also as an actual problem, some early running boards, especially aftermarket, advertise they don't fit the 33 gal. tank. Some people I have seen make do with the tight confines to actually bolt them on, but a lot of makers simply did not test fit on 33 gal. truck. There may be other interference fit problems of running boards I am not aware of.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Father in law is 94 years old and bought a 2011 Honda Fit new, currently has 8,000 miles.

I still have my 2001 Dodge 1500 that I rarely use and do use it just to run out the dated gasoline. My use for the most part is fine with the 26 (on occasion it would be nice) and glad I do not have it in my 2001 at this point.

HAL9001

Reaction score
If you ever plan to do any heavy towing, the 33-gallon tank is an absolute must. With a smaller tank, you'd be stopping for gas three times a day when heavy towing.

And, as everyone who tows a large RV knows, finding a suitable gas station that can accommodate a large RV is a pain. The fewer stops the better.

Redfour5

Reaction score
You lose some payload (about 70lbs total with a full tank) but it's more than worth it, especially if you're towing.
Actually, you do lose payload, BUT not off what your payload says on your label. Fuel is calculated to figure what your payload rating is. Some people try to calculate for towing and add a full fuel load to their calculations. You do NOT need to worry about fuel anymore since the companies agreed to use the automotive engineers standard here a few years ago... AND that includes a full load of fuel for specific trucks in the calculation.

So, this website will give you your tow rating and payload by VIN number https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing

Apparently, at one point there was an issue with this site, but it was "fixed" as of last year. So, put the VIN of the one you are looking at and this is it.

Edit: Oh, My 2021 has the 26 gallon fuel tank. I WISH they had ordered the 33 gallon. I had the 32 gallon on my 2015 and it was great, no negatives except the hit on my wallet when I filled it.

OH and what is with dealers who order towing technology options, including mirrors and the full Monty around towing and then don't spend the 95 bucks for a 3.92 rear gear or put on the 33 gallon tank. I just don't get it. Load it up for towing and then don't spend a few bucks for the guts of towing. Sorry, personal problem and rant.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, you do lose payload, BUT not off what your payload says on your label. Fuel is calculated to figure what your payload rating is. Some people try to calculate for towing and add a full fuel load to their calculations. You do NOT need to worry about fuel anymore since the companies agreed to use the automotive engineers standard here a few years ago... AND that includes a full load of fuel for specific trucks in the calculation.

So, this website will give you your tow rating and payload by VIN number https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing

Apparently, at one point there was an issue with this site, but it was "fixed" as of last year. So, put the VIN of the one you are looking at and this is it.

Edit: Oh, My 2021 has the 26 gallon fuel tank. I WISH they had ordered the 33 gallon. I had the 32 gallon on my 2015 and it was great, no negatives except the hit on my wallet when I filled it.

OH and what is with dealers who order towing technology options, including mirrors and the full Monty around towing and then don't spend the 95 bucks for a 3.92 rear gear or put on the 33 gallon tank. I just don't get it. Load it up for towing and then don't spend a few bucks for the guts of towing. Sorry, personal problem and rant.
Thats funny! I was looking at trucks on the lot at one point, and I found only limiteds with towing features, and no 3.92. Basically a personal work truck for me, I ordered ORG, 33gal, and towing on a tradesman, they paused, they weren't sure if you could get that. :rolleyes:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....from what I have been able to figure out the 3.92 does better in town....
Almost sprayed my monitor with coffee reading that one.
I guess.......if 12.5 mpg is 'better'. (that's what i get around town)

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love mine. I do a lot of driving. No regrets. 600+ mile range for the Hemi is awesome too.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Thats funny! I was looking at trucks on the lot at one point, and I found only limiteds with towing features, and no 3.92. Basically a personal work truck for me, I ordered ORG, 33gal, and towing on a tradesman, they paused, they weren't sure if you could get that. :rolleyes:
I think that on many lots whomever orders trucks does NOT tow and you end up with the 3.21's and small gas tanks with the tow package on them. They probably think that if you order the tow package it has everything you need, not realizing that the 3.21 rear end sucks for towing and the 8 miles per gallon you are going to get towing will eat up a 23 gallon gas tank in no time at all. Then they load up all the bells and whistles and the payload is like a thousand lbs and the tow capability is like 7K total... DUH... In reality, I think RAM should include 3.92 gearing and at least the 26 Gallon tank preferably the 33 gallon tank as PART of any tow package.

Itsslow98

Reaction score
33 gallon tank was a must have for me. One thing to consider is if you decide down the road you really want it, it's not a simple bolt on tank you can knock out in an hour. It's a major task amd much more than $445 that the option cost.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In reality, I think RAM should include 3.92 gearing and at least the 26 Gallon tank preferably the 33 gallon tank as PART of any tow package.

What Ram really needs to do is allow the Max Tow Package with the bigger 256mm (10.0”) rear axle on configurations other than the 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7L eTorque

Last edited:

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What Ram really needs to do is allow the Max Tow Package with the bigger 256mm (10.0”) rear axle on configurations other than the 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7L eTorque
Dang, I didn't even know Ram HAD a "Max Tow Package", I'm always looking at 4x4's 😕

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
not a rant but the truth!

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Almost sprayed my monitor with coffee reading that one.
I guess.......if 12.5 mpg is 'better'. (that's what i get around town)

Dang, You must have a VERY HEAVT foot. I have a 5.7L HEMI with Etorque, 3.92, and 33g tank and am currently getting ~15.5mpg in town. I typically also have a heavy foot, so usually get about 14.5mpg, but a recent speeding ticket has slowed me down a bit (FOR NOW, hahaha).

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang, You must have a VERY HEAVT foot. I have a 5.7L HEMI with Etorque, 3.92, and 33g tank and am currently getting ~15.5mpg in town. I typically also have a heavy foot, so usually get about 14.5mpg, but a recent speeding ticket has slowed me down a bit (FOR NOW, hahaha).
So, you'll need to calculate how long it's going to take that 1 MPG increase to pay for the ticket, then you can go back to lead-footing lol.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
This time around I ordered the 33 gallon tank on the Rebel.....have the 26 gallon tank on the '15 Big Horn(both ED).

If I get close to the average mpg's....that's nearly 800 miles on a tank.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
So, you'll need to calculate how long it's going to take that 1 MPG increase to pay for the ticket, then you can go back to lead-footing lol.
So the math shows that it will take 123.47 tanks of gas to make up for the cost of the ticket @ 1mpg fuel savings with slower driving. Worth it?

HELL NO!! Let that Hemi ROAR!! lol :)

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I truly feel for anyone that has one of these trucks with a 23 gallon fuel tank! I currently have the 26, and while not terrible, I fully intend on swapping it out for the 33. As others have stated, I don't see any minor drawback being greater than the value of adding the additional fuel capacity.

I will say that in my area of FL, many of the fuel pumps are still at $75 max limits. I hardly ever get out of the gas station without swiping my card twice lol.

Users who are viewing this thread