5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before. I have read threads promoting the 33 gallon tanks, especially if you tow, but not sure I have found any drawbacks. My plan is to order a well equipped BH with E-torque, 3.92 and I am debating the tank. I currently don't tow and likely won't for quite a while, if at all. I'd like a travel trailer someday, but I have wanted one for 20 years off and on and don't own one yet. I like better MPG but being honest with myself, most of my driving is local and from what I have been able to figure out the 3.92 does better in town (gotta throw the 3.92 out there for some good 3.92 debate 😀 ) In my mind, my plan is to pay this truck off and have it be as permanent a vehicle as one can get. I have a history of trading in vehicles every 2-3 years, but I am hopeful this one will stick. I love the idea of having a big truck again and after driven all of them I prefer the Ram.

Any downsides to owning the bigger tank? Only ones I can think of is higher cost of refills and higher weight of a full tank. The more expensive refills isnt much of an impact to me since I would be buying gas anyway. If I'm smart I fill up at inexpensive gas stations.

Thanks
DAVE

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've read more about people regretting not getting the 33 gallon tank. I do mostly city driving and have a 33 gallon tank with the 3.92 gears. No issues and gas mileage isn't that different. I'm also in the 2-3 year club and hoping I can keep this one longer as well. So good luck to us. LOL
That said, if you do trade it in or sell it, I think the 33 gallon tank would help value.

Last edited:

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been asked before. I have read threads promoting the 33 gallon tanks, especially if you tow, but not sure I have found any drawbacks. My plan is to order a well equipped BH with E-torque, 3.92 and I am debating the tank. I currently don't tow and likely won't for quite a while, if at all. I'd like a travel trailer someday, but I have wanted one for 20 years off and on and don't own one yet. I like better MPG but being honest with myself, most of my driving is local and from what I have been able to figure out the 3.92 does better in town (gotta throw the 3.92 out there for some good 3.92 debate 😀 ) In my mind, my plan is to pay this truck off and have it be as permanent a vehicle as one can get. I have a history of trading in vehicles every 2-3 years, but I am hopeful this one will stick. I love the idea of having a big truck again and after driven all of them I prefer the Ram.

Any downsides to owning the bigger tank? Only ones I can think of is higher cost of refills and higher weight of a full tank. The more expensive refills isnt much of an impact to me since I would be buying gas anyway. If I'm smart I fill up at inexpensive gas stations.

Thanks
DAVE
Drawbacks--let me think...

1. Will technically lower your payload
2. If you are the type to drive to nearly empty before refueling, it can take longer to fill up
3. You will pay the additional cost for the upgrade
4. You will frown about 35% harder at the gas receipt.

...that's all I got for now.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck had everything I wanted except the 33 gallon. It hasn't been an issue as it takes me about 2 weeks to empty, but next time I'd hold out for a bigger tank. Like my equalizer, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It really should be standard issue

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reduced payload is the only downside, also longer time spent at the pump at each fillup kind of sucks in the winter.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Yes. If you pay at the pump, you'll likely need to do multiple transactions when you fill it because you'll go over the dollar limit.
I...didn't know that was a thing. I was pretty low one day and got up to $105 with I think 28..8 gallons of Plus...
It's a thing. I just towed a travel trailer from VT to FL. Had to stop for gas twice a day. With the cost of Premium at around $4.25, filling 30 gallons costs $127.50. Many pumps currently have a credit card limit of $100 so the pump kicks off before the tank is filled. You either have to stop for gas more often, pay cash, go without filling up the tank, or make multiple credit card transactions. All options are a pain.

Rau

Reaction score
Drawbacks--let me think...

1. Will technically lower your payload
2. If you are the type to drive to nearly empty before refueling, it can take longer to fill up
3. You will pay the additional cost for the upgrade
4. You will frown about 35% harder at the gas receipt.

...that's all I got for now.

I think it is really just 1st and 3rd point, the other two points are debatable imho.

I personally would always choose a bigger tank if there is a choice. I guess my opinion is biased then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a thing. I just towed a trailer from VT to FL. Had to stop for gas twice a day. With the cost of Premium at around $4.25, filling 30 gallons costs $127.5. Most pumps currently have a credit card limit of $100 so the pump kicks off before the tank is filled. You either have to stop for gas more often, pay cash, go without filling up the tank, or make multiple credit card transactions. All options are a pain.
Uwf, yeah that Premium would do it. Good thing to know.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
I think it is really just 1st and 3rd point, the other two points are debatable imho.

I personally would always choose a bigger tank if there is a choice. I guess my opinion is biased then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No doubt. I'm with you. I was just offering my opinion towards possible drawbacks since that's what he was looking for.

Always the largest tank for me please.

Reactions: Rau

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The drawbacks are just side effects of having additional capacity, which is always a good thing.

Don’t be complaining about a 33-gallon fill-up at todays prices. Years ago, I had a 45-gallon tank in my HD truck, and gas went over $4/gallon. Back then, limits were even lower (<$75), so I’d have to run 3 credit card transactions!

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The drawbacks are just side effects of having additional capacity, which is always a good thing.

Don’t be complaining about a 33-gallon fill-up at todays prices. Years ago, I had a 45-gallon tank in my HD truck, and gas went over $4/gallon. Back then, limits were even lower (<$75), so I’d have to run 3 credit card transactions!
Haha and the card reading/whole process was likely slower so you must've been there for what, half hour? Where were the electric trucks when you needed them? :ROFLMAO:

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all, its what I suspected. One thing to note...it appears with the E-Torque "upgrade" I'd loose 3 gallons from 26 to 23 gallons to the default tank. 23 gallons just feels like not much for a truck. Part of me wonders if that is part of how they get that 1 or 2 extra MPG out of it through whatever weight savings/payload they get out of the smaller tank.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all, its what I suspected. One thing to note...it appears with the E-Torque "upgrade" I'd loose 3 gallons from 26 to 23 gallons to the default tank. 23 gallons just feels like not much for a truck. Part of me wonders if that is part of how they get that 1 or 2 extra MPG out of it through whatever weight savings/payload they get out of the smaller tank.

There used to be a $0 option for the regular 5.7L’s 26 gallon tank, but based on some recent orders that seems gone for the time being

33g tank is 100% worth it

Users who are viewing this thread