5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any downside to ordering the Ramboxes on a Rebel?

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Box unable to hold my Cam Am XMR1000 ATV. Love the idea but makes the bed too small.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping there would be some covers that would fit. I haven't seen a truck with both the ram boxes and a bedcover yet. I'm still trying to figure out what options I want on the truck I'll be ordering. The boxes sure seem like they could come in handy at times. Chippy, I hadn't thought about the decreased bed width, but for bikes I use an open trailer, set up for bike hauling. I could see that being a problem for these newer quads that are so wide. I mostly need the bed for a pistol tree and steel targets when I go to train.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram Box unable to hold my Cam Am XMR1000 ATV. Love the idea but makes the bed too small.
That’s surprising...the floor of the bed is the same or slightly wider with RamBoxes. Does your ATV straddle the wheelwells?

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping there would be some covers that would fit. I haven't seen a truck with both the ram boxes and a bedcover yet. I'm still trying to figure out what options I want on the truck I'll be ordering. The boxes sure seem like they could come in handy at times. Chippy, I hadn't thought about the decreased bed width, but for bikes I use an open trailer, set up for bike hauling. I could see that being a problem for these newer quads that are so wide. I mostly need the bed for a pistol tree and steel targets when I go to train.
Just installed my hard cover today, its the Mopar hard trifold, looks to me like its made by Bak for Mopar, ill take better photos tomorrow outside. download (1).png

kjn86

Reaction score
If you haven't seen both beds in person, I highly suggest you do it. I was 100% on board with the Rambox when I was searching online. Seemed like the same bed except with the added compartment on the sides and the rails, but I didn't think that they'd have to take some interior bed space away to make the space. When I saw one in person, I was off the Rambox immediately. It is a significant decrease in bed width. Unless you have a compelling reason to have things in the side compartments, I would get an organizer and put the items in that in the regular bed and just drop the tailgate.

molonlabe

Reaction score
I went from a Superduty to a 1500 with Ramboxes and I can't remember ever feeling constrained by the lack of width. Your functional width is really the same and there's no issue hauling a load of plywood or drywall. I have found the bed length to be the thing that feels constraining and if I were to order another 1500, I would go for the long bed as long as I could still get the Ramboxes. I don't think I could ever give up my Ramboxes. I've seen the light and going back to a standard pickup toolbox ain't gonna cut it for me anymore.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Weight would be another disadvantage no one has mentioned. It takes a fair chunk off your payload.

I'm with the guys that said they love the Ramboxes. As someone who's not been driving trucks for years and is not totally used to their disadvantages (no trunk) the Ramboxes are really nice.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Outlander? Do you also need 6'4" bed? Always wondered about this. I went with Rambox this time, and although I haven't loaded my grizzly 700 with custom tire wheels it has been my main concern is with the bed rails. I'm going to have about a half inch on either side. Other than this the ramboxes have been great for keeping stuff out of my cab.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
I love the idea of the Rambox, but I found it to not be as practical in reality. Reaching over the side of these beds is tough enough and if you ever want to get something out of the bed and not get at it thought the back the Rambox makes this even more difficult. Our Rebel is used for overlanding when not pulling out Jeep, so the boxes also make rack and other accessory mounting more limited. Mind you - It's nothing is impossible, but it's not as easy.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Definitely gave me some things to think about. I thought the main use would be for the tools, jumpers, ice scrapers, random crap that I now keep stuck under the rear seats in my Silverado. NoRamForU, that cover looks really nice on your truck.

Jameskcoble2

Reaction score
First time having the ram boxes and I love them. You lose the bed width over the wheel wells but I never ended up using that space anyways. Plus the wall outlet being accessible from outside the truck is a great feature!
4D7FDA98-ED0A-4610-8068-DA51F91A2F2E.jpeg

Mfm

Reaction score
Weight would be another disadvantage no one has mentioned. It takes a fair chunk off your payload.

I'm with the guys that said they love the Ramboxes. As someone who's not been driving trucks for years and is not totally used to their disadvantages (no trunk) the Ramboxes are really nice.

How much weight do the rambox subtract from payload??

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s surprising...the floor of the bed is the same or slightly wider with RamBoxes. Does your ATV straddle the wheelwells?
Sorry let me elaborate.. My buddies Rambox with the tonnue cover the rails had to come off and then the wheels would still hit the box sides. This ATV not using spacers it just has large lug tires.
The tires straddle to some degree the wheel wells. Then tying in another headache. Don’t get me wrong I like the extra trunk space of the boxes but takes away from truck functions and most likely limits your resale prospects down the road.

Last edited:

daddyo128

Reaction score
How much weight do the rambox subtract from payload??
From research, I believe the Rambox option adds something like ~145 pounds to the vehicle - which of course subtracts from total payload. But seriously, anyone plan to be that close to max capacity with any frequency?

daddyo128

Reaction score
Biggest concern with ordering Rambox option right now, is apparently....actually ordering them. I just posted in a "Ram orders" thread....My dealer in MD has been trying (unsuccessfully) to submit my Rebel order since Thanksgiving Eve...21-Nov! I haven't even got a confirmed VON, yet (major frowny-face). Feedback I received is the issue is somehow related to adding the Rambox option - which I totally want. They're hoping to have more info for me towards end of week. Anybody else recently experience similar?

Power Rebel

Reaction score
Biggest concern with ordering Rambox option right now, is apparently....actually ordering them. I just posted in a "Ram orders" thread....My dealer in MD has been trying (unsuccessfully) to submit my Rebel order since Thanksgiving Eve...21-Nov! I haven't even got a confirmed VON, yet (major frowny-face). Feedback I received is the issue is somehow related to adding the Rambox option - which I totally want. They're hoping to have more info for me towards end of week. Anybody else recently experience similar?
I tried to order without Rambox on Nov. 4th. After almost 2 weeks I called dealer and they still did not order it. I added the Rambox at that point. Not knowing the delay. Now it's been over a month since I first tried to order.

NORMANDYMIKE

Reaction score
2019 Rebel Crew Cabs with Ram Box options are filtering in..... I just bought one Saturday in Huntsville AL and they have three more in stock. I was not a fan of the boxes until I bought my last Big Horn with them... I quickly grew to love them. Use them for storing items when launching my pontoon & kayaks (tie downs, wiring harness) We store two folding chairs in one side, river shoes. Even store guitar & mic stands when going to a show. The only mandatory option I had when searching for a new Rebel. The old style doors seems more sturdier...the new ones almost seem like painted plastic...the latch and release system also seem less durable but time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread