5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any downside to ordering the Ramboxes on a Rebel?

JDRebel12

Reaction score
Is that the maximum steel metallic color? It almost looks purple vs blue on the site. I haven't seen one in person yet. Going between that and the Billet Silver.
Yes...Max Steel. It ranges from black...to blue...to purple depending on the light. Absolutely my favorite color on this truck. I get compliments everywhere I go.

OldSkull

Reaction score
I had the Rambox on my last 2016 Laramie. They were pretty convenient but they looked like they weren’t closed all the way. Dealer said it was a factory flaw with a lot of those and couldn’t be fixed. It bugged me because I had a $60,000 truck and the rambox doors always looked like thee were not latched all the way.
I got my new Rebel without them. The new Rambox doors I’ve seen don’t seem to have that factory flaw.

Paulny

Reaction score
Love mine! This is my first truck with Ramboxes and now that I have them, I can't imagine having a truck without them. They can store tons of stuff, and are perfect for tail gating or camping. The bed is big enough for my occasional trip to Home Depot. Maybe I got lucky, but my lids are perfectly aligned and the utilitarian aspect of them far outweighs subjective aesthetic appearance. Ultimately, when was the last time someone came up to you while in your truck and made your next truck payment because you look so good in it ;)

halla

Reaction score
I have had three rams with ramboxes, probably would never get another one without. I am waiting to order my fourth ram with ramboxes. I keep tie downs, golf balls, tools, very convenient.

RAMDJ

Reaction score
My biggest issue with the RAMBOX, I can't put a diamond back cover which allows you to mount / haul anything on the truck bed. You could also put mounts for a cross bar mount to carry bikes, kayaks, tent or whatever strikes your fancy.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My largest gripe with ramboxes with tonneau cover is that at the top of the boxes your bed is no longer 48" wide. The moveable tie down rings on the rails project into the bed too far so you cannot stack any 48" wide sheet materials taller than those rings. They should design the rail and tie down rings to set farther out or narrow the ramboxes a touch.

Other than that, I absolutely love them and will definitely continue to get this feature on my next truck. I don't think i could go back to not having them.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My biggest issue with the RAMBOX, I can't put a diamond back cover which allows you to mount / haul anything on the truck bed. You could also put mounts for a cross bar mount to carry bikes, kayaks, tent or whatever strikes your fancy.

Exactly my dilemma. If Diamondback would only make a cover for Rambox trucks...

RAMDJ

Reaction score
Exactly my dilemma. If Diamondback would only make a cover for Rambox trucks...

I contacted Diamondback, and they do make one for the RAMBOX truck beds. They don't advertise it because of an caveat with the covers. Here is the email I received back from them:

Thank you for contacting us. We do offer our SE and HD Covers in both finishes for the RamBox trucks. Only thing to note (and why we don’t offer for sale on the site without talking to us first) is that this cover is not fully water tight like our standard covers. With the way RAM designed the beds it is impossible to keep water out 100%. Let me know if you have any other questions at all or wanted to get an order going with us. We are about 2.5 weeks out on these right now.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=48067004@N04&view_all=1&text=RamBox

Me personally, I think it would be better just to put that $1,000 RAMBOX upgrade towards the nice Diamondback HD cover.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I contacted Diamondback, and they do make one for the RAMBOX truck beds. They don't advertise it because of an caveat with the covers. Here is the email I received back from them:

Thank you for contacting us. We do offer our SE and HD Covers in both finishes for the RamBox trucks. Only thing to note (and why we don’t offer for sale on the site without talking to us first) is that this cover is not fully water tight like our standard covers. With the way RAM designed the beds it is impossible to keep water out 100%. Let me know if you have any other questions at all or wanted to get an order going with us. We are about 2.5 weeks out on these right now.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=48067004@N04&view_all=1&text=RamBox

Me personally, I think it would be better just to put that $1,000 RAMBOX upgrade towards the nice Diamondback HD cover.

If they are talking about the 4 corner bins, I think those are not rated to be water tight on any version... but if they mean the main slide drawers, then that's a pretty big deal.

RAMDJ

Reaction score
If they are talking about the 4 corner bins, I think those are not rated to be water tight on any version... but if they mean the main slide drawers, then that's a pretty big deal.

I am assuming they mean just with the top at all, it will leak. I don't see a reason to get the bins when you have the ramboxes at that point. My goal is to keep the main cargo area dry and if it can't do that with the ramboxes, then no ramboxes for me.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am assuming they mean just with the top at all, it will leak. I don't see a reason to get the bins when you have the ramboxes at that point. My goal is to keep the main cargo area dry and if it can't do that with the ramboxes, then no ramboxes for me.

Oh wait. My bad! I got confused and was thinking about the bed organizer from Decked. We're talking here about the hard tonneau cover from Diamondback. I follow now.

Another consideration I'm debating is that I think you could angle some dirt bikes to fit tailgate-up within a non-Rambox short bed, but not so with Ramboxes.

Users who are viewing this thread