5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any dealers negotiating at all on used prices?

alex3610

Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of shopping for a truck and have been focused on something used with under 50k miles. I was a bit surprised to see on here there are *some* dealers selling for below MSRP on New trucks. So that begs that question, that even though used prices are through the roof has demand died down enough that I can expect to negotiate somewhat again?

While I'd love to buy brand new I'm pretty much all in around $45k and I'd like either a well optioned 4x4 crew cab Laramie or a Limited. Also, am I crazy or do the original window stickers never show the 5'7" vs 6'4" bed on them?

Thanks!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of shopping for a truck and have been focused on something used with under 50k miles. I was a bit surprised to see on here there are *some* dealers selling for below MSRP on New trucks. So that begs that question, that even though used prices are through the roof has demand died down enough that I can expect to negotiate somewhat again?

While I'd love to buy brand new I'm pretty much all in around $45k and I'd like either a well optioned 4x4 crew cab Laramie or a Limited. Also, am I crazy or do the original window stickers never show the 5'7" vs 6'4" bed on them?

Thanks!
Don't see the bed size (short) on my window sticker.

tom318

Reaction score
I believe your correct that the bed length isn’t shown on the window sticker for these rams. Mine has nothing about being 6’4. Getting a new truck below msrp shouldn’t be hard but depends on the dealers in the area and finding one that’s not greedy.
I watch car prices daily for some reason. I think it’s becoming a hobby of mine and used prices are coming down slowly.
I could see dealers being very firm on their used car prices Becuase they likely piad a lot for them before prices started coming down. I’d suspect many are approaching sale prices near what they paid.
Typically dealers want to move used cars they have been sitting on for a while but if they are going to lose thousands then they might be firm. Maybe trucks that were more recently listed could be more negotiable? Normally that’s not the case but overall things are still not “normal” in the car market.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Talking to local car sales people I know, they are doing "one price" used car sales where there is no negotiation. The price you see is what you pay. Actually got into a debate with one guy over it because he made a Facebook post belittling a buyer who tried to negotiate a lower price. If you want to buy used, and be able to negotiate a little, you will ha e to buy private party, and not from a dealer. Will get better deal private party.

jessed1

Reaction score

Thanks!
We were just driving through our local Ram dealers' lot yesterday and I noticed they are overflowing with used and new Rams. Logically that would seem to indicate demand is slowing - but you wouldn't be able to tell by the prices in the vehicles. My suspicion is demand has dropped significantly, but the local dealers do not seem to recognize it yet. One site I checked still has $3k premium tacked on to their vehicles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Talking to local car sales people I know, they are doing "one price" used car sales where there is no negotiation. The price you see is what you pay. Actually got into a debate with one guy over it because he made a Facebook post belittling a buyer who tried to negotiate a lower price. If you want to buy used, and be able to negotiate a little, you will ha e to buy private party, and not from a dealer. Will get better deal private party.
Maybe that's the case in your area. I haven't seen this in my shopping area other than at Autonation dealerships. I just bought a used SUV last month from a local Toyota dealership. I was able to negotiate the price down about 12% from their original asking price. Maybe that was an outlier, but I got the impression that other dealerships I visited while shopping for that vehicle were willing to negotiate.

But you're right about getting a better deal buying private party. But that's always been the case.

We were just driving through our local Ram dealers' lot yesterday and I noticed they are overflowing with used and new Rams. Logically that would seem to indicate demand is slowing - but you wouldn't be able to tell by the prices in the vehicles. My suspicion is demand has dropped significantly, but the local dealers do not seem to recognize it yet. One site I checked still has $3k premium tacked on to their vehicles.
This also must depend on where you're located. The dealerships within an hour of where I live (not just Ram) still have mostly empty lots, with more used vehicles than new. Definitely not even close to normal levels here.

MarkD

Reaction score
The one major item/fact that is keeping used vehicles (2yrs or less) still priced at or above the original sticker is due to the high price that these dealers took them in as trades. (remember when people were selling their vehicles back at more than they paid for them) Well, the dealers don't want to loose money on these. So they are sitting on the lots with their original sticker price as their current price. ...while they already have 25k+ miles sometimes. At some point, the banks who are financing the dealers, and had financed the purchase of said trucks/vehicles, are going to direct that these vehicles need to be sold. That will necessitate a drop in prices. The question is how long will that take.

If you want a good laugh... Take any used (or new) vin and plug it into KBB. There is no logic for the prices that come back. (I compared two '21 Laramie MC's The one with LOWER mileage was actually valued LOWER) I really think that KBB has the VINs that are currently up for sale and that they have a different price schedule for those versus the same truck (year and mileage) if it was NOT for sale somewhere. I think that they pull them off of the CARFAX database to determine if they are for sale. I would call that COLUSION.

There are some interesting videos by a group called YAA out on youtube that cover the car market and how to purchase cars. Look them up. ...pretty interesting.

U

User_3336

With dealer discounts and rebates, you'd likely get a better deal on a NEW RAM!
(Middle TN anyways)

alex3610

Reaction score
In Central VA I've seen some dealers discounting a few thousand but the trucks I'm looking at are in the mid to high 40s. Just too big of a delta to close and I'm really at the top of what I can afford right now.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting though that it is not on the window sticker.
Just seeing this thread.
The window sticker states either Crew Cab or Quad Cab, so you will know whether it’s a short bed or a very-short bed.

alex3610

Reaction score
Just seeing this thread.
The window sticker states either Crew Cab or Quad Cab, so you will know whether it’s a short bed or a very-short bed.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Crew Cab available in both a short bed and a very-short bed?

Runagun

Reaction score
IMO used care market right now it too inflated. Way bigger chance on getting burned on over paying then if you'd be getting something new. If you're able to find a good deal on something. Make sure Its not a Lemon. Either way I hope you have success in what you're looking for.

alex3610

Reaction score
IMO used care market right now it too inflated. Way bigger chance on getting burned on over paying then if you'd be getting something new. If you're able to find a good deal on something. Make sure Its not a Lemon. Either way I hope you have success in what you're looking for.
It sucks right now for sure. My current hyundai clunker is a ticking time bomb and I'm unfortunately backed into a corner. Ideally I'd wait 6-9 months and I bet things would be a lot better but I'm simply in a position where I need a new vehicle and can't afford to be without one.

Users who are viewing this thread