5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any convert from the 5.7?

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I don’t know if your Canadian or American so I will post in Metric, Imperial mpg and us mpg. 2 weeks ago on a 300km (186 miles) trip with a bit of tail wind I got 33 imperial mpg or 8.7 litres/100km or 27.5 US mpg with the cruise set at 100kph (62mph). Last week end I did the same trip but pulling a tandem wheel utility trailer about 2500 lbs with some head/cross wind, I did 25.5 imperial mpg or 11 litres/100 km or 21 US mpg. I was also going a bit faster 105kph or 65mph.
The window sticker is the same on all the 1500 Ram trucks with the eco diesel, it says for highway 8 litres/100km or 35.3 imperial mpg or 29.4 US mpg, that is not true for the Rebel because of the larger more agressive 33 inch tires, 1 inch factory lift, 3.92 axle ratio and no front end dam below the bumper.
i always reset my trip meter and reset the mpg average. All the figures above were on the truck readings, I did do the hand calculation several times and the hand calculations usually shows not as good mpg than the truck computer by around 1/2 to 1 imperial mpg,
I’ve always done that with all my vehicles, it makes me laugh or pisses me off when someone says ”my truck or car or whatever is so good on gas, I did the same trip and only used a quarter tank” how the hell do you know if it is that good on gas if you don’t know the size of the tank and how much it took to refill the tank and without resetting everything and doing the calculations.

If you go 70mph - 75mph to you find that your mpg drops significantly? I do live in Canada but comfortable with L/100km and US MPG. Thanks again for the response

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go 70mph - 75mph to you find that your mpg drops significantly? I do live in Canada but comfortable with L/100km and US MPG. Thanks again for the response
I live in Timmins and do most of my travelling between Timmins and Sudbury where I have another house there, my son lives there with other college and University students, the posted speed limit on hwy144 is only 80kph, I bought that house almost 8 years ago, I set my cruise at 100kph and never got stopped for speeding. It would be very risky for me to travel at 70 or 75mph, that’s 120kph and would be 40kph higher than the speed limit!
I did make a trip to Ottawa in august, to help my daughter move from a condo to a house, my truck was loaded to the maximum in size but not things too heavy except for an apartment size fridge that was laying down, too much wind drag on the highway, so the trip was at 100kph from Timmins to Sudbury (300km) it was my wife and I to Sudbury, then my son joined us for the rest of the trip Ottawa, he had the single rear seat for him, the other side was packed with stuff, I bumped up the cruise speed to 110kph on hwy17 then up to 120kph at the divided highway, 450km was the second half of the trip, 31mpg total trip, I was so impressed, then I did a lot of short trip driving in Ottawa moving all her stuff. I fuelled up before making our trip back home, same route to Sudbury then to Timmins, the Rebel got 29mpg on the way home, fighting a north wind, all though still impressive.
I’m sure if I had a Laramie ED with air ride suspension, 3.21 axle ratio and excuse my saying, balogna smooth tires! (4ply) the mpg would better I would guess 8 litre/100km, 35mpg, like the window sticker says.

Netmaster

Reaction score
I recently traded in my 2019 4x4 Laramie with 5.7 Hemi (with 11k) for a 2020 4x2 Limited with the Eco Diesel, both with the 3.92 axle. This is my first diesel ever and I'm 45.

The Hemi will win in a race, but I feel the Eco Diesel has a better power delivery for everyday driving. The diesel power comes on very smooth and at very low rpm's, which i prefer over the Hemi. The Hemi will pull harder, but at higher and louder rpms. There is a bit of turbo lag with the diesel, but you learn to adapt by just ever so slightly rolling on the throttle before you need torque. At highway speeds I feel the diesel is working less which makes it feel smoother and quieter than the Hemi.

I went from averaging ~16mpg to ~25mpg driving in the burbs. I love the sound of the diesel engine with the turbo, which was an unexpected surprise. I now find myself driving with the radio off and windows down so i can hear it...

I can't chime in on maintenance/reliability, but i knew going in maintenance is more expensive. I also have no input on towing as I rarely do it.

Don't know if it's worth the 3k increase for everyone, but if the reliability is good and you plan to keep it a while than it will save you $$ in the long run.

bmehrer

Reaction score
I love my Rebel, now that when I drive the truck, it tend to be longer distances I kinda want to give the new ED a try mostly due to the range (I have the smaller gas tank), but before I do anything foolish, has anyone gone from the Hemi to Ecodiesel? any regrets? or are you generally happy? I have driven DS Ecodiesel so I'm well aware of the characteristics.
Just recently traded my 2016 Ram BigHorn semi in for the 2020 Rebel Eco diesel. Love what I did. I too am taking longer trips. Been averaging 27 mpg on the highway at speeds usually 10 mph over posted limits. Have the four corner air suspension system. Love the ride floats down the road like a luxury car.

mia389

Reaction score
This is a good discussion.
I went from a 17 Rebel w/ 3.92 to
20 longhorn w/3.92

Hemi I could accel up hills towing my 8500lb RV. ED I can not. I do make it up hill though. Im talking Ozark hills here. Pretty steep.

ED I can have a conversation with my wife while towing. Hemi I could not. Ed is very quiet at work

ED gets better fuel mileage while towing. I only have 800 miles on mine but I did a small towing loop yesterday to test this diesel out. I was a bit skeptical. Hemi gets about 7-8mpg on the loop. ED got 16!!!!!

I would say go test drive one. They are different. Im curious to see these ED with deletes on them. I get alot of vibration from mine at certain rpms that I grew use to.

I also went from air suspension to normal. I like towing with normal suspension better but there are times Ill miss the air suspension. I could tow my TT locally without the W/D bars. That is no longer an option. I also dont have the marshmallow feeling anymore 😀

Attachments

• 5AF7B189-A2E8-4EDD-B945-AF0A795CCEA0.jpeg
    5AF7B189-A2E8-4EDD-B945-AF0A795CCEA0.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

hunter1234

Reaction score
I have had the hemi, moved to a 2016 ED and now a 2020 ED, both Laramie, air suspension, 3.21 on the 2020 and LSD in both EDs . I still love the truck. I find the 3rd generation engine seems smoother, I have less lag than the 2016 and better MPG. The towing is great and it seems to pull with no effort the hemi did the job also but screamed a bit. I currently get about 875 miles on the 33 gallon tank and average about 27 mpg for all around driving. In the winter less as I use a winterize fuel and I do put about 270lbs of weight in the back. I have notice that I go through a little more DEF with the 3rd generation than I did on my previous one.

Users who are viewing this thread