5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any convert from the 5.7?

Downytide

Reaction score
I love my Rebel, now that when I drive the truck, it tend to be longer distances I kinda want to give the new ED a try mostly due to the range (I have the smaller gas tank), but before I do anything foolish, has anyone gone from the Hemi to Ecodiesel? any regrets? or are you generally happy? I have driven DS Ecodiesel so I'm well aware of the characteristics.

mrfreon

Reaction score
Back in 2014 I went from the Hemi Grand Cherokee to the Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee and was happy with the upgrade...... no complaints. I now have the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel and my combined AVE MPG is 27.4 and I get almost 900 miles on each tank of fuel. The reason I went with the Ecodiesel was to have fewer oil changes and fewer stops at the gas station.... mission accomplished.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back in 2014 I went from the Hemi Grand Cherokee to the Ecodiesel Grand Cherokee and was happy with the upgrade...... no complaints. I now have the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel and my combined AVE MPG is 27.4 and I get almost 900 miles on each tank of fuel. The reason I went with the Ecodiesel was to have fewer oil changes and fewer stops at the gas station.... mission accomplished.

Even though the manual specifies the exact same oil change intervals for both trucks? OK....

Well I drove the Hemi and then came home with the EcoDiesel but after having it for 6 months I think I would actually be happier with the Hemi. I don't know. It felt a lot stronger and more athletic and there was no throttle lag and ultra expensive maintenance intervals. Both certainly have pros and cons.

mrfreon

Reaction score
Even though the manual specifies the exact same oil change intervals for both trucks? OK....

I was referring to the reason I went with the Ecodiesel over the Hemi (both Jeep & Ram).

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 limited with the Hemi. Couldn't stand the lack of low end torque and horrible fuel economy (got worse than my 6.4L SRT). I traded it in on a 2020 EcoDiesel limited and don't regret it one bit.

The diesel is more effortless to drive. It never downshifts going up hills on the highway and just loves to chug along (I get about 28mpg average and have hit 33mpg on long highway drives). My Hemi struggled to average 17mpg would barely crack 20mpg on the highway. I drive 98% highway and drive a lot of miles a year. I also plan on buying a snowmobile trailer and want the effortless towing that the EcoDiesel provides.

Is it a perfect engine? No. Theres a bit of turbo lag and it's certainly not as fast as the Hemi, but it feels quick and accelerates nicely (and rarely needs to go above 2500rpm). It loves the highway and gets exceptional fuel economy. It's incredibly quiet as well and is very refined.

Yes the service is more expensive, but you can do it yourself and save some serious money. If I had to do it again I would have waited and just gotten the diesel from the start.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
my wife has a 19 limited with the Hemi, we got it a year before i got my eco limited. i would much rather drive mine than hers, it just is a smoother driving truck. When i drive her truck to work i get 17mpg, i get 25mpg in mine.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my wife has a 19 limited with the Hemi, we got it a year before i got my eco limited. i would much rather drive mine than hers, it just is a smoother driving truck. When i drive her truck to work i get 17mpg, i get 25mpg in mine.
Yeah. The diesel is incredibly smooth. The first time I started mine I had to check it was on.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My brother has an ED (4th gen truck) and was just inside the warranty period, had major EGR issues. They took care of him, but would have been several thousand out of pocket otherwise.

I could never deal with throttle lag. In my truck (hemi) the power is instant and strong, the fact that it has to downshift on the highway up a large hill bothers me as much as wondering how much windshield wiper fluid there is in my tank.

I'm considering a tune to wake it up even more, you may want to go that route too if you're willing to lose thousands on a trade anyway. The hemi tows more and is much much faster on the freeway.

ToeKnee

Reaction score

900 miles!!?! That is insane. I definitely gotta look into a eco diesel as my next truck. Any reliability issue with the ecodiesel model?

Last edited:

Downytide

Reaction score
900 miles!!?! That is insane. I definitely gotta look into a eco diesel as my next truck. Any reliability issue with the ecodiesel model?

Everything that has to do with emission seem to cause issue in the long run , I really like my Rebel now, but if I get an ED and decide to keep it, will probably do a delete.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brother has an ED (4th gen truck) and was just inside the warranty period, had major EGR issues. They took care of him, but would have been several thousand out of pocket otherwise.

I could never deal with throttle lag. In my truck (hemi) the power is instant and strong, the fact that it has to downshift on the highway up a large hill bothers me as much as wondering how much windshield wiper fluid there is in my tank.

I'm considering a tune to wake it up even more, you may want to go that route too if you're willing to lose thousands on a trade anyway. The hemi tows more and is much much faster on the freeway.
The Hemi tows like 160lbs more. Towing with the ecodiesel will be a lot less fatiguing as you won't have to listen to an engine screaming up hills etc. I've literally owned both, the Hemi didn't impress me. But that's my opinion.

Reactions: aai

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Hemi tows like 160lbs more. Towing with the ecodiesel will be a lot less fatiguing as you won't have to listen to an engine screaming up hills etc. I've literally owned both, the Hemi didn't impress me. But that's my opinion.

To be honest I would never push either engine in a 1500 past 9000 pounds anyway. I tow my trailer (4000 pounds) in 6th, with a 3.21, that puts me at about 2000 to 2200 rpms for 95% of the trip. The rest is a bit of city traffic, and yes some additional downshifts that last < 1 minute each time. Pretty sure my brother is cruising at almost those same rpms in his ED, but I believe he has less power in reserve at highway speeds, the hemi has more passing power yet when needed due to much higher HP.

JGRaider

Reaction score
I can't speak for the hemi, but I just traded my GMC Sierra Crew 4x4 for the Laramie 4x4 Eco. So far I've averaged 24.6 combined with the 3.92 rear end. Sorta wish I had the 3.21 instead but I got such a good deal on this truck I won't complain. The GMC was a very nice truck, but so far there's nothing it does bettter (mostly not nearly as good) than this Ecodiesel. This is the smoothest, quietest, most refined, best riding and handling truck I've ever owned by a good margin. Thinking seriously about getting a 5 yr 100k warranty just for peace of mind.

mrfreon

Reaction score

Yep 900 miles per tank..... keep in mind I have the 33 gallon fuel tank. No reliability issues yet, but I only have 6000 miles on the truck.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded in my 19 Hemi 3.21 for a 2020 EcoD 3.92 a couple days ago. When I test drove the EcoD I didn’t like it and actually thought about it for 4 days and had decided not to do it. Then after a long conversation with my wife she told me to do it so I did. I’ve only put 160 miles on it so far but I love it already. Smooth, powerful, almost too quiet actually. I haven’t had it long enough yet to say for sure it was the right choice but I am loving it so far. 26mpg average on the same commute my Hemi would do 19mpg. What I’m really excited for is the first time I pull the camper with it, that’s what I really wanted it for. Didn’t like pulling the camper with the Hemi.

Reactions: aai

myles

Reaction score
2020 ecodiesel here w/ 33 gallon tank & 3.92 gears, 8 months old and 21k miles
came from a 15' gmc 5.3 and i wouldn't go back to gas

diesel pros:
- better low end torque which is nice for pulling trailer, especially up hills
- better mieage, i average 23ish mpg but im also a pretty aggressive drive, if i cruise at 65 i get 29mpg
- amazing range, 700+ mile range is freaking awesome, i only fill up once a week now.

cons:
- has a pretty significant lag off the line, but i got used to it
- diesel is usually a bit more expensive
- DEF which i use about 1 gallon/1000 miles
- oil change at the dealer: $180 in southern california (about $80 if you do it yourself)
- fuel filter change at the dealer: $390 in southern california ($37 if you do it yourself, its the same filter at the cummins)
- long term repairs are usually more expensive on a diesel

so basically i wouldn't get one to save money, i pretty much just got it for the torque and the range.

Downytide

Reaction score
At the moment I'm putting it off the switch, the differences in pricing doesn't justify the pros.

When I got my truck back in August of 2019, my otd price was 15k less than what they are quoting me, this was combined with bunch codes I had available from work as well.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from a 2011 Ram Outdoorsman crew cab with the Hemi and 3.92 rear to my 2020 Rebel with the ED, I now have 9500 km and no issues so far, this truck drives with no effort, it tows with so much less effort than with my Hemi, but you have to keep in mind that my 2011 Ram was only a 5 speed transmission. I use to like driving that truck but would only usually use it when carrying something big or having to tow a big trailer that my Jeep could not handle. It sure liked its gas, specially in the winter.
The Rebel ED is so much better on fuel and I love driving it all the time, so much that I gave my daughter my Hyundai Accent (third vehicle) that I use to travel to work, so I’m saving on the insurance but paying a bit more for fuel. Fuel is cheaper than gas in Northern Ontario.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I went from a 2011 Ram Outdoorsman crew cab with the Hemi and 3.92 rear to my 2020 Rebel with the ED, I now have 9500 km and no issues so far, this truck drives with no effort, it tows with so much less effort than with my Hemi, but you have to keep in mind that my 2011 Ram was only a 5 speed transmission. I use to like driving that truck but would only usually use it when carrying something big or having to tow a big trailer that my Jeep could not handle. It sure liked its gas, specially in the winter.
The Rebel ED is so much better on fuel and I love driving it all the time, so much that I gave my daughter my Hyundai Accent (third vehicle) that I use to travel to work, so I’m saving on the insurance but paying a bit more for fuel. Fuel is cheaper than gas in Northern Ontario.

What do you get for mpg with the Rebel EcoDiesel?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What do you get for mpg with the Rebel EcoDiesel?
I don’t know if your Canadian or American so I will post in Metric, Imperial mpg and us mpg. 2 weeks ago on a 300km (186 miles) trip with a bit of tail wind I got 33 imperial mpg or 8.7 litres/100km or 27.5 US mpg with the cruise set at 100kph (62mph). Last week end I did the same trip but pulling a tandem wheel utility trailer about 2500 lbs with some head/cross wind, I did 25.5 imperial mpg or 11 litres/100 km or 21 US mpg. I was also going a bit faster 105kph or 65mph.
The window sticker is the same on all the 1500 Ram trucks with the eco diesel, it says for highway 8 litres/100km or 35.3 imperial mpg or 29.4 US mpg, that is not true for the Rebel because of the larger more agressive 33 inch tires, 1 inch factory lift, 3.92 axle ratio and no front end dam below the bumper.
i always reset my trip meter and reset the mpg average. All the figures above were on the truck readings, I did do the hand calculation several times and the hand calculations usually shows not as good mpg than the truck computer by around 1/2 to 1 imperial mpg,
I’ve always done that with all my vehicles, it makes me laugh or pisses me off when someone says ”my truck or car or whatever is so good on gas, I did the same trip and only used a quarter tank” how the hell do you know if it is that good on gas if you don’t know the size of the tank and how much it took to refill the tank and without resetting everything and doing the calculations.

Users who are viewing this thread