5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any back windows that DON'T leak?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new one doesn’t leak (yet)!!! It’s been over a year now!!

However, my original window didn’t start leaking until almost two years of ownership.

KCViper

Reaction score
So, after reading this thread, I just had to run out to the truck as it's been raining for hours and it's outside. Truck has under 200 miles and I felt around the back slider and all above where the 3rd brake light is....no water. Can someone tell me exactly where the majority of leaks are coming from so I can be sure the check those spots? Thanks!!

DSN46

Reaction score
So, after reading this thread, I just had to run out to the truck as it's been raining for hours and it's outside. Truck has under 200 miles and I felt around the back slider and all above where the 3rd brake light is....no water. Can someone tell me exactly where the majority of leaks are coming from so I can be sure the check those spots? Thanks!!
Some leaks are coming from the third brake light assembly (crappy factory gasket or not set right from factory), some are coming from the rear window assembly not being sealed properly to the cab. Some leaks begin from day one... others a couple years down the road. Some people have gotten leaks from both. The majority of what I see are leaks coming in from the third brake light assembly due to the crappy gaskets from the factory. I understand that FCA has issued a "new improved" gasket around the third brake light this year, but I have already seen a couple of posts of those leaking too.
You will notice droplets of water hanging from the top of the back window on the inside and / or the headliner being wet (usually off to one side or the other but sometimes in the middle also). After a two hour, mild rain I noticed two droplets hanging down from the back window on the passenger side. I removed the third brake light and stripped off the factory gasket and replaced it with the true rubber gasket from Lowe's (there is a post on here showing how to do it). After replacing that gasket, it has rained here almost every day (even hard rain) and I purposely parked my truck out in it to test. No more water coming inside. :) Does this mean I won't ever have the rear window leak? It might. But that is why I made this thread.... just to see how many folks have NOT had any leaks and for how long. It would be nice if we all made it for ten years without a window leak but my hope aren't high on that one.
Hope this helps.
James

KCViper

Reaction score
Some leaks are coming from the third brake light assembly (crappy factory gasket or not set right from factory), some are coming from the rear window assembly not being sealed properly to the cab. Some leaks begin from day one... others a couple years down the road. Some people have gotten leaks from both. The majority of what I see are leaks coming in from the third brake light assembly due to the crappy gaskets from the factory. I understand that FCA has issued a "new improved" gasket around the third brake light this year, but I have already seen a couple of posts of those leaking too.
You will notice droplets of water hanging from the top of the back window on the inside and / or the headliner being wet (usually off to one side or the other but sometimes in the middle also). After a two hour, mild rain I noticed two droplets hanging down from the back window on the passenger side. I removed the third brake light and stripped off the factory gasket and replaced it with the true rubber gasket from Lowe's (there is a post on here showing how to do it). After replacing that gasket, it has rained here almost every day (even hard rain) and I purposely parked my truck out in it to test. No more water coming inside. :) Does this mean I won't ever have the rear window leak? It might. But that is why I made this thread.... just to see how many folks have NOT had any leaks and for how long. It would be nice if we all made it for ten years without a window leak but my hope aren't high on that one.
Hope this helps.
James
Thanks for the detailed information. Went back out to the truck and checked per your description and did not find any water. Will be keeping my eye on this for sure!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope this helps.
James
One thing I did (and posted on this forum) was covered my entire 3rd brake light and 3" onto the painted metal top/sides of the brake light with 4" Clear Flex Seal Tape. It forms a complete barrier for the light. My Leer installers saw it and said it was a heck of an idea.

My truck is white so you could see the Flex Seal as it isn't perfectly clear but I was about to install a Leer canopy so it wouldn't be seen once it was installed. Likewise, I didn't want to have to mess with the 3rd brake light once the canopy was installed. I installed LED bulbs so I don't have to mess with those either - hopefully - for a few to several years. So far so good...

Hudson 51

Reaction score
The idea for this thread was thrown out by another member in a different thread. I thought it would nice to hear from those who have NOT had any leaks from the rear window assembly. The leaking window has become such a dark stain on such a great truck I think we need to hear from those who have had no problems. Also, if you have not had any leaks, throw in the year and mileage please.

I'll start. 2020 Rebel - 6300 miles. Third brake light leak (just a drop) but no actual window leaks..... yet.

Thank you!
I have found that the rear window isn't the problem. It's the brake light above the window that leaks. Loosen it and put a good bead of silicon behind it and tighten it up. No more window leaks.

DSN46

Reaction score
I have found that the rear window isn't the problem. It's the brake light above the window that leaks. Loosen it and put a good bead of silicon behind it and tighten it up. No more window leaks.
I replaced the factory seal with a rubber seal from Lowe's like others have done and have not had a problem since (and it has been raining a lot here)

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Where exactly did you put the bead of silicone thank you

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure, that works to seal it. But essentially glues the light fixture in place. What happens if/when a bulb burns out?

ceb1mardiv

Reaction score
The idea for this thread was thrown out by another member in a different thread. I thought it would nice to hear from those who have NOT had any leaks from the rear window assembly. The leaking window has become such a dark stain on such a great truck I think we need to hear from those who have had no problems. Also, if you have not had any leaks, throw in the year and mileage please.

I'll start. 2020 Rebel - 6300 miles. Third brake light leak (just a drop) but no actual window leaks..... yet.

Thank you!
Had a 2020 Bighorn that had a leak in the front passenger side floor they could not find. Ended up changing it to a Rebel thru Lemon! Just thought I mention!

klail

Reaction score

Thank you!
2019 limited 27k miles. No leaks

JBV

Reaction score
i've got so many fears and concerns awaiting my new truck! i'm really hoping that these issues are ironed out as they start building mine any day now.

minmar10

Reaction score
Had a 2020 Bighorn that had a leak in the front passenger side floor they could not find. Ended up changing it to a Rebel thru Lemon! Just thought I mention!
I have a 2020 bighorn and this happened the other day on front passenger side.

Attachments

• 462776E6-43D3-47DF-AA3C-B8D12EF408DD.jpeg
    462776E6-43D3-47DF-AA3C-B8D12EF408DD.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 506E0EFA-280B-4F0B-9531-4A44A1E03ADF.jpeg
    506E0EFA-280B-4F0B-9531-4A44A1E03ADF.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8AD73CB1-164A-4C0C-A63C-F29246C2B09D.jpeg
    8AD73CB1-164A-4C0C-A63C-F29246C2B09D.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 27

JBV

Reaction score
so do you have any idea what the source of the leak is and what the solution is?

Users who are viewing this thread