5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any back windows that DON'T leak?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
any pics etc of what you did to be proactive against this leak?

No pics, its pretty easy. Same thing this guy did in post # 1 here:

There are multiple other threads about this as well, but this one came up the fastest when I did a search. Unscrew the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light), also known as the 3rd brake light. Take it off. Scrape/clean off the old gasket as best as possible, then peel off the backing from the new seal, and put it on in the same place as the old. Put back into place, reinstall screws. Do not overtighten too much, it is just plastic.

Some instead do a sealant or caulk of some sort around the existing seal, which is one of the TSB solutions for the 4th gens brake lights leaking. I wanted a solution that I could take the light off and put it back on later without creating a mess or extra clean-up work.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
Looks like theirs going to be a few more leaks and cracks after all the bragging about not having any leaks and cracks hahahaha...

DSN46

Reaction score
Looks like theirs going to be a few more leaks and cracks after all the bragging about not having any leaks and cracks hahahaha...
Don't jinx us ;). I don't think anyone is bragging though... I asked them about it. I like hearing about the higher mileage trucks that have never leaked, it gives me hope. :)

Last edited:

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
The idea for this thread was thrown out by another member in a different thread. I thought it would nice to hear from those who have NOT had any leaks from the rear window assembly. The leaking window has become such a dark stain on such a great truck I think we need to hear from those who have had no problems. Also, if you have not had any leaks, throw in the year and mileage please.

I'll start. 2020 Rebel - 6300 miles. Third brake light leak (just a drop) but no actual window leaks..... yet.

Thank you!
Where is the leak from. Here is mine 2019 19k

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
2020 Laramie, 21k miles, third brake light leak (replaced seal), no longer leaking. No window leak or cracks to date.
Where was your leak coming from?

Attachments

• 95F1F81C-0ACF-4FDD-AAD5-A40685D7FC20.jpeg
    95F1F81C-0ACF-4FDD-AAD5-A40685D7FC20.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 31

DennisY

Reaction score
The idea for this thread was thrown out by another member in a different thread. I thought it would nice to hear from those who have NOT had any leaks from the rear window assembly. The leaking window has become such a dark stain on such a great truck I think we need to hear from those who have had no problems. Also, if you have not had any leaks, throw in the year and mileage please.

I'll start. 2020 Rebel - 6300 miles. Third brake light leak (just a drop) but no actual window leaks..... yet.

Thank you!

No leaks here. 2019 Limited. No leaks on the sunroof either. And no brake light leaks. No leaks anywhere actually. Not sure what prompted this post.

Last edited:

GARebel19

Reaction score
2019 with 13k miles and no leaks or cracks. I do have what looks like stress marks in the plastic frame where others have had cracks. I really expected mine to crack by now. I also use my slider all the time and take the truck off road. If it does crack/leak I hope it does so before my warranty expires.

ChryslerVette

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn, 1500 crew, sliding rear glass 12,500 miles, Plenty of car washes and rainy days---- No Leaks!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Despite never having a leak in 33 years of owning Rams, I can tell you the highest confidence I ever had of a no-leak rear window was on my 1988 D150 1/2 ton and my 1990 D350 1 ton SRW as both had solid rear windows with the chunky rubber gasket and a gun rack to hold my 30-06 and 12 gauge. I miss the days when it was simpler (no sliding rear glass) and you didn't have to worry about some A$$ stealing your hunting weapons.

Last edited:

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
No leaks on my 2020 Laramie, I live in Florida I am wondering if this is a cold weather problem. People who live in the northern states. Constant freezing and warming that’s causing the metal to expand and shrink.

Users who are viewing this thread