5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anxious to hear feedback on th HK stereo

techieanalyst

Reaction score
I think the HK system could definitely use another boost in loudness (I doubt its using all of that 900 watts). Different inputs definitely have different "loudness" levels.

It does need more volume I agree. Could just replace speakers with better ones unless it’s the amp that’s a pos

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
System is decent, not great. Majority of sound comes from the front windshield for whatever reason. Bass isn't great, and rattles when it hits hard. Volume is fine with Bluetooth and CarPlay through my iPhone X. Treble seemed a bit lacking so I had to EQ that up. The HK system in the Grand Cherokee is far superior... louder, better highs and bass, and the sound completely envelopes you and can't be pinpointed to one spot in the cabin.

Sirius XM sound quality is total garbage. Nobody should be referencing sound quality based on XM radio. If you enjoy the content and want quality sound, use their internet listening app. The audio bitrate they push through the satellite is like watching VHS on your 4K TV.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
System is decent, not great. Majority of sound comes from the front windshield for whatever reason. Bass isn't great, and rattles when it hits hard. Volume is fine with Bluetooth and CarPlay through my iPhone X. Treble seemed a bit lacking so I had to EQ that up. The HK system in the Grand Cherokee is far superior... louder, better highs and bass, and the sound completely envelopes you and can't be pinpointed to one spot in the cabin.

Sirius XM sound quality is total garbage. Nobody should be referencing sound quality based on XM radio. If you enjoy the content and want quality sound, use their internet listening app. The audio bitrate they push through the satellite is like watching VHS on your 4K TV.

How does the stock Alpine stereo in the limited compare to the HK? Is it worth the upgrade?

techieanalyst

Reaction score
Heard both, I felt both lacked volume on XM, didnt connect my phone to the alpine though

Vincey2kr1

Reaction score
I’ve listen to both the alpine and hk back to back through the Sirius radio. The wife and I thought the hk was lacking on volume, it sounded good but felt like it was limiting itself.. The alpine sounded much louder and the bass hit harder so overall we thought it wasn’t worth going the hk route if we order our limited. We would be missing out on the rear vented seats though :(

RichRios

Reaction score
I’ve listen to both the alpine and hk back to back through the Sirius radio. The wife and I thought the hk was lacking on volume, it sounded good but felt like it was limiting itself.. The alpine sounded much louder and the bass hit harder so overall we thought it wasn’t worth going the hk route if we order our limited. We would be missing out on the rear vented seats though :(
Sirius is a very low quality signal.....very compress signal from the satellites. low quality audio will sound louder in a low fidelity system. You need to use lossless audio like FLAC,ALAC (Apple Lossless) etc to really compare. Also loudness doesn’t mean high quality.

superramvette

Reaction score
Do not buy the HK system. I have it and regret it. It is lacking in sound power and I have to run it full blast all the time. The clarity is good. I use Iphone 8 input from iTunes via Bluetooth and carplay and it still is lacking. XM radio is the worst. Every bose system I have heard has more power. I have a 2014 stingray with bose and it is better. I have a chevy Volt with bose system and it is better as well. My 04 Denali with bose is lounder but obviously not as clear considering its a 14 year old system. I have not listened to the alpine I just know this system is lacking for me. My 2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited with Alpine system ( I believe it was alpine?) had louder sound and better bass in my opinion.

techieanalyst

Reaction score
Do not buy the HK system. I have it and regret it. It is lacking in sound power and I have to run it full blast all the time. The clarity is good. I use Iphone 8 input from iTunes via Bluetooth and carplay and it still is lacking. XM radio is the worst. Every bose system I have heard has more power. I have a 2014 stingray with bose and it is better. I have a chevy Volt with bose system and it is better as well. My 04 Denali with bose is lounder but obviously not as clear considering its a 14 year old system. I have not listened to the alpine I just know this system is lacking for me. My 2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited with Alpine system ( I believe it was alpine?) had louder sound and better bass in my opinion.

It lacks loudness but dollars to donuts a software update or a part replacement would resolve it

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We just took delivery of our truck, and I'm loving the sound quality - particularly with HD radio. My wife can't stand me turning the volume above 20 (out of 30).

I guess my needs have changed, as I used to install car stereo systems and go for maximum 'punch', but now I'm more of an audiophile. This system offers very few customization settings, but (in my opinion) it still outperforms many of the Harman Kardon, Bang & Olufsen, and Bose sound systems out there.

SMS Limited

Reaction score
I have he H&k in my Limited and agree that the sound is limited, it sounds clear however I have it at max volume all the time just to enjoy the sound. I have H&K in my BMW and Mercedes and there is a huge difference between those vehicles and the Ram. I’m hoping a software update might be able to fix it.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have he H&k in my Limited and agree that the sound is limited, it sounds clear however I have it at max volume all the time just to enjoy the sound. I have H&K in my BMW and Mercedes and there is a huge difference between those vehicles and the Ram. I’m hoping a software update might be able to fix it.
Me too

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see an update enabling a higher degree of audio system tuning.

At present, we are limited to a 3-band equalizer, fader, balance, and surround on/off. This will sound a bit facetious, and it is, but I had that ability with a pull-out car stereo and physical sliders in the 1980s.

I would welcome the ability to select from (and customize) multiple surround modes, store audio profiles for each source and/or music genre, and override the output levels and frequency range for each speaker type and/or location.

All of this can be achieved with software, presuming the hardware is capable.

1Raider

Reaction score
I sat in my 1st ordered truck today with the HK system and im sure it didn't have the update and all but it didn't impress me at all.. I tried adjusting everything and still came up short,the sub was even rattling in the back..
Hopefully an update will fix these issues with this 900w 19 speaker system!
Maybe the 2nd truck will come with the updated system. I may go back to the dealer and see if I can see the software number on it.

Users who are viewing this thread