5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antifreeze smell

Airstreamin

Reaction score
I replaced my radiator cap this morning. Yes, before I started it up for the first time today

Anyway, it has been 10 hours now since I replaced the radiator cap, truck has been driven 4 times today. No antifreeze smell.

I will report back in a few days to claim victory if the smell does not return.

By the way, the cap was $16. Worth every penny.
Steveved, Did the the radiator cap help? The dealer replaced mine and it made no difference. At the same time, I never had an over heating problem, and I’ve seen coolant temps over 230 degrees towing the Airstream up 6% grades when it’s 110 outside so I had my doubts that was the problem. my fear is that something serious appears after the warranty expires, which will be next week.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced my radiator cap this morning. Yes, before I started it up for the first time today

Anyway, it has been 10 hours now since I replaced the radiator cap, truck has been driven 4 times today. No antifreeze smell.

I will report back in a few days to claim victory if the smell does not return.

By the way, the cap was $16. Worth every penny.
Do you mind posting the part # and if it was OEM or aftermarket? Might be helpful to those with this issue.

I had a '71 Dart 340 and used an old school glass milk bottle as an overflow... after a hard night of cruising it smelled just like my Ram... doesn't worry me and is quite nostalgic in a way... but I digress.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first unpressurized overflow so am still learning what is normal.

My overflow flap/cap would not stay on so the dealership put a new one one and some of the smell went away. With the overflow at atmospheric pressure it does not need the tight seal like my other trucks did so I don't know if the smell is normal or not.

The dealership tells me that all is okay. I have it on record with FCA so as long as I don't overheat or lose any coolant I will roll with it.

Airstreamin

Reaction score
Update: dealer can’t find any evidence of a leak again. Says mine is the only one they’ve seen that has the coolant smell. new Radiator cap didn’t help. I don’t seem to be losing coolant. No over heating. It just stinks when it’s parked and you walk by.... frustrating.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. The smell has gotten better (weaker) over time. Some days I don't smell anything but most days I do.

steveved

Reaction score
Sorry it has been a while since I posted. I don't know the part number. I threw the package away. I literally went to the dealer, had him look up my VIN and get me the suggested part number.

Anyway, it has been around 4000 miles since I replaced the cap and the antifreeze smell has returned. So, I guess these caps are throw away items that need to be replaced every year.

Not happy, but not entirely surprised either.

Rams01

Reaction score
I've had the same smell since day 1 on my 5.7L 2019 1500 with 26,000 miles. No leaks, no loss of coolant, but after driving it at times I can smell coolant as I walk past the front of the truck. The yellow cap does feel loose but dealer has told me there's no issue. I have never owned a car or truck that did this. Has anyone heard a high pitched noise after turning off the truck? Randomly I will hear a high pitched noise that ramps up in its pitch until it stops . Not sure if that's air in the system or what, i can never get my phone out quick enough to get a full video of the sound but thought this might have something to do with the coolant smell??

Airstreamin

Reaction score
I’ve had that sound. It sounds like a vacuum leak from the heat/AC system. It’s not. Crazy as at sounds, the dealer replaced the alternator and that fixed the problem. I can’t see how the alt can make a noise like that AFTER the engine shuts off, but the sound has been gone for over a month now.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
"Has anyone heard a high pitched noise after turning off the truck? Randomly I will hear a high pitched noise that ramps up in its pitch until it stops"

I have the air-conditioning whistle every once in a while. There were couple posts here about TXV (thermal expansion valve) causing it while the high and low sides are equalizing.
My AC blows cold air so not concerned about the noise.

Last edited:

klotz50

Reaction score
Came here about to post the same.. mine has a burning antifreeze smell coming from under the hood on the drivers side as well. All temps and levels look good here as well. I’ll head to dealer once all this nonsense blows over. Please post results if u figure it out.
2019 with 25k. Same issue. Although not always noticeable. No spills or leaks

Airstreamin

Reaction score
I’ve had that smell for 37,000 miles. Over 8,500 towing, often in 105+ temps and 6% grades. No leaks, no overheating, no lost coolant. Dealer says they’ve never seen it before, but smell it too. New radiator caps don’t help.

Freddy G 2020 5.7

Reaction score
Mine has had the smell since day 1.

Dealership tells me there's nothing wrong and that it's "normal" although this is the first vehicle I've had that smells like coolant after I've driven it. The overflow lid thing was very loose and wouldn't stay 'snapped' in place so I had it taped down and the dealership did replace that.

Since there's no loss of coolant or visible leaks they tell me there's nothing else they can do.

I will probably try the radiator cap replacement to see if that helps.
brian42, My ram has had the coolant smell for the last 2 months. No visable leaks, but the coolant level has been dropping in the bottle. Have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership tomorrow. i will see what they come up with and let everyone know

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same smell with mine, pretty much since day one. Worse when i'm towing.

I regularly check fluids and haven't noticed any loss.

**29k miles on the clock

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also smell coolant from the front of the truck from time to time with no coolant loss in 35000 miles.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I know this is a Ram forum, by my wife's Hyundai does the same thing. I took it in and had it checked under warranty but was told there's no leaks. My 19' Ram doesn't have this smell to my knowledge as I never noticed it.

Einstein376

Reaction score
My 2019 had the same smell with no cause found by the dealer. I wire tied the loose filler cap without any change.

I then noticed a white stain on the top of the frame on the left side of the engine. The next trip to the dealer discovered a slight leak of a cylinder head gasket. After 4 weeks of waiting for parts, this was switched out.

The smell returned….. I am guessing its a value added feature of this engine ;-)

Jim

The_Dude

Reaction score
My 2019 had the same smell with no cause found by the dealer. I wire tied the loose filler cap without any change.

I then noticed a white stain on the top of the frame on the left side of the engine. The next trip to the dealer discovered a slight leak of a cylinder head gasket. After 4 weeks of waiting for parts, this was switched out.

The smell returned….. I am guessing its a value added feature of this engine ;-)

Jim
To be honest, it seems that the dealer didn't do a good job repairing the head. Reignited on YouTube documented a shotty repair job. I'd be curious what all they did for the repair.

Users who are viewing this thread