5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antifreeze smell

Buzze4646

Reaction score
just picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. When I first got it home I found the radiator cap was loose and antifreeze had spilled all over engine. Truck has 17000 miles on it. Dealer refilled the antifreeze and sent me on my way. Every time I drive it I get an antifreeze smell under the hood. Does not seem to lose fluid and dealer pressure tested system with no leaks but still has a strong smell. Will be hauling a travel trailer soon and don"t need any problems. Any suggestions?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome , it takes a bit of time and miles for the antifreeze to burn off from where it spilled / sprayed .

RamCares

Reaction score
just picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. When I first got it home I found the radiator cap was loose and antifreeze had spilled all over engine. Truck has 17000 miles on it. Dealer refilled the antifreeze and sent me on my way. Every time I drive it I get an antifreeze smell under the hood. Does not seem to lose fluid and dealer pressure tested system with no leaks but still has a strong smell. Will be hauling a travel trailer soon and don"t need any problems. Any suggestions?

Hello Buzze4646,
We are sorry to hear about your recent troubles. If you were unable to rectify your concern with the advice given from your fellow forum members, we would kindly suggest reaching back out to your servicing dealer as they will have the appropriate tools to answer your question. If you decide to keep working alongside your dealer and you need any additional assistance throughout that process please know our team is available if needed.
Laura
RamCares

41magmag41

Reaction score
ive had the same problem but minus the spill, dealer says all is well, have 27000 on my 11 month old 1500. Hope if a problem presents itself it does it while under warranty.

RamCares

Reaction score
ive had the same problem but minus the spill, dealer says all is well, have 27000 on my 11 month old 1500. Hope if a problem presents itself it does it while under warranty.

Hi @41magmag41 - If you do need to work with your dealer at all down the road, we are always a private message away to provide support!

Mark
RamCares

41magmag41

Reaction score
Hi @41magmag41 - If you do need to work with your dealer at all down the road, we are always a private message away to provide support!

Mark
RamCares
thank you, so far the dealer has provided excellent service at a reasonable rate, will see how the coolant smell does and if it persists.

RamCares

Reaction score
thank you, so far the dealer has provided excellent service at a reasonable rate, will see how the coolant smell does and if it persists.

Thank you for taking the time to follow up, I am very glad to hear that it sounds like you are in good hands! If any additional support is needed, please do not hesitate to follow up with us further.

Mark
RamCares

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is 15 months old with 30,000 miles. I tow my 24ft boat with it in the summer. I've had the smell since day 1. Coolant level never changes. I found that the smell seems to come from the overflow tank. The yellow cap fits loosely on the tank, and smell comes from there on my truck.

derp

Reaction score
cold engine washdown with low pressure (garden hose) may be in order.

41magmag41

Reaction score
My truck is 15 months old with 30,000 miles. I tow my 24ft boat with it in the summer. I've had the smell since day 1. Coolant level never changes. I found that the smell seems to come from the overflow tank. The yellow cap fits loosely on the tank, and smell comes from there on my truck.
I suspect that is my culprit, it seems the looser it gets the more smell. probably will get a heavier gasket on it.

Tainowarrior

Reaction score
I have 29,000 miles on my19 smell of antifreeze. Concerns me no leaks that I can see . I’m going to take it to the dealer I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing the same issue. Been like this for a while .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
I have 29,000 miles on my19 smell of antifreeze. Concerns me no leaks that I can see . I’m going to take it to the dealer I’m glad I’m not the only one experiencing the same issue. Been like this for a while .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings, @Tainowarrior. We are always a PM away if any additional assistance is needed while working with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
Came here about to post the same.. mine has a burning antifreeze smell coming from under the hood on the drivers side as well. All temps and levels look good here as well. I’ll head to dealer once all this nonsense blows over. Please post results if u figure it out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Came here about to post the same.. mine has a burning antifreeze smell coming from under the hood on the drivers side as well. All temps and levels look good here as well. I’ll head to dealer once all this nonsense blows over. Please post results if u figure it out.

Hi @CB10 - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if you would like an additional layer of support when the time comes.

Mark
RamCares

steveved

Reaction score

Interesting. My 2019 has the same smell. But is from the passenger side. The smell is strongest around the metal radiator cap. I am wondering if it is a bad gasket in the cap. This was a known issue in older Honda's. Considering very few parts in a modern RAM come from the US, they might use the same vendor as Honda for all we know.

As others have stated, I have not noticed an appreciable loss of fluid level in the overflow tank. So, I am guessing it is vapors escaping from a weak cap gasket. I plan to order a replacement and see if the smell goes away. I have 26,780 miles on mine.

I will post an update if a new cap rectifies the situation.

steveved

Reaction score
I replaced my radiator cap this morning. Yes, before I started it up for the first time today

Anyway, it has been 10 hours now since I replaced the radiator cap, truck has been driven 4 times today. No antifreeze smell.

I will report back in a few days to claim victory if the smell does not return.

By the way, the cap was $16. Worth every penny.

RamCares

Reaction score
I replaced my radiator cap this morning. Yes, before I started it up for the first time today

Anyway, it has been 10 hours now since I replaced the radiator cap, truck has been driven 4 times today. No antifreeze smell.

I will report back in a few days to claim victory if the smell does not return.

By the way, the cap was $16. Worth every penny.

Glad to hear it sounds like you were able to get this taken care of! Please be sure to keep us posted.

Mark
RamCares

Airstreamin

Reaction score
I had the same smell for a while now. at 35,000 miles I took it to the dealer to have it looked at. They replaced the radiator cap and pressure tested it and it held pressure for hours. i Noticed the smell again 200 miles later.....

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has had the smell since day 1.

Dealership tells me there's nothing wrong and that it's "normal" although this is the first vehicle I've had that smells like coolant after I've driven it. The overflow lid thing was very loose and wouldn't stay 'snapped' in place so I had it taped down and the dealership did replace that.

Since there's no loss of coolant or visible leaks they tell me there's nothing else they can do.

I will probably try the radiator cap replacement to see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread