5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANTI SPIN DIF

Ram4me

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 5.7, with a anti spin 3.92 rear differential. Do I need the friction modifier added when I change the fluid.? I was told if the system kicks in electronicly, I don't need it. If it kicks in mechanically I do. Anti spin from what I understand activates electronically. Can someone tell me for sure?

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Can you post exactly what you bought and quantities? I have to do the same.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM 1500 5.7, with a anti spin 3.92 rear differential. Do I need the friction modifier added when I change the fluid.? I was told if the system kicks in electronicly, I don't need it. If it kicks in mechanically I do. Anti spin from what I understand activates electronically. Can someone tell me for sure?

Anti-spin AKA limited slip has friction clutches, and needs friction modifier. The e-locker has a dog clutch that is activated electrically, and takes straight heavy gear oil.

Not to be confused with traction control, which applies brakes under computer control based on wheel speed sensor inputs to accomplish similar goals.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For rear diff 3.92 anti spin
I purchased 3 bags Amsoil 75W 140 Severe Gear which contains Friction modifier however I added a full 4 oz bottle of mopar modifier as well which I got off Amazon.

Drained old stuff. Added bottle of modifier then added gear oil. Plugged her up and went for a cruise. Quiet as a church mouse.

Going to do front diff and transfer case at 75K. I'm at 68K now.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you for sure that if you have this.
axle lock.jpg
You do not need friction modifier.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For rear diff 3.92 anti spin
I purchased 3 bags Amsoil 75W 140 Severe Gear which contains Friction modifier however I added a full 4 oz bottle of mopar modifier as well which I got off Amazon.

Drained old stuff. Added bottle of modifier then added gear oil. Plugged her up and went for a cruise. Quiet as a church mouse.

Going to do front diff and transfer case at 75K. I'm at 68K now.
Did u use the full 3 bags or???

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It depends on if tou have "Anti Spin" aka LSD or electronic locking diff. Nothing "kicks in". Electronic locking "kicks in" when you push the button going under 25 mph. LSD is mechanical spring loaded clutches always engaged.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on if tou have "Anti Spin" aka LSD or electronic locking diff. Nothing "kicks in". Electronic locking "kicks in" when you push the button going under 25 mph. LSD is mechanical spring loaded clutches always engaged.
No springs with the current limited slip set up, relies on the spider gears providing thrust against the clutch packs under acceleration.
Supposedly gets better gas mileage.

red396

Reaction score
i think you guys might be wrong.anti spin rear does not have a clutch pack like the limited slip rear has .anti spin rear is a torsen differential.which uses worm gears.look up you tube anti spin diff

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
The Rebel has the e-locker, as was mentioned. If you have the e-locker, no you don't need it. If you have the auto-slip diff, then yes, you do. And what is in AmsOil and other commercial gear oils is not enough. You'll get chattering. You will need to add the Mopar additive.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
i think you guys might be wrong.anti spin rear does not have a clutch pack like the limited slip rear has .anti spin rear is a torsen differential.which uses worm gears.look up you tube anti spin diff
If this was the case, why would it call for friction modifier?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are mistaken about what type of rear end these 1500s have

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
“NOTE:

Limited Slip Differential (LSD) equipped vehicles should be road tested by making 10 to 12 slow figure-eight turns. This maneuver will pump the lubricant through the clutch discs to eliminate a possible chatter noise complaint”

Rambroh

Reaction score
You need it if you have anti spin. I have the same rear end.

I did amsoil severe gear 75w 140 in the rear with 4 oz mopar modifier even though Amsoil says it has it.
View attachment 176507
I have a 2019, 1500 with 3.12 rear and manual says to add 5 ounces of friction modifier additive. I am going to use the Amsoil 75–140 so do I really have to worry about 1 ounce of the modifier since the bottle comes in 4 ounces and considering Amsoil already contains a modifier? Any downside to using heavier oil vs 75-90 per manual?

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I have a 2019, 1500 with 3.12 rear and manual says to add 5 ounces of friction modifier additive. I am going to use the Amsoil 75–140 so do I really have to worry about 1 ounce of the modifier since the bottle comes in 4 ounces and considering Amsoil already contains a modifier? Any downside to using heavier oil vs 75-90 per manual?
I think it recommends the heavier oil for severe duty. For the friction modifier, you probably need it. You can always drive it without and see if you have any chattering on sharp turns.

Users who are viewing this thread